Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alissa
Frequent user September 2020 British Columbia

Does asking guests to act responsibly= fun sucking?

Alissa, on July 25, 2018 at 22:46 Posted in Wedding reception 0 13
We have our first wedding related event coming up soon, where we will be hosting an open bar. For personal reasons, My number one priority when hosting any number of people anywhere is ensuring they plan a safe way home. I planned to send out a reminder one week prior to the party with directions, meal time, and other information about the night. I considered adding a gentle reminder about not drinking and driving, nearest public transit, taxi apps. Etc... being the control freak that I am, I'm worried that adding this notation would set the tone for the party as lame before it even starts. I dont want people to think im watching/judging them or that I don't trust their judgement... is there a "chill" way to word this reminder? Or do I need to just drop it and keep reminding myself that these people are adults capable of making responsible decisions?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on July 26, 2018 at 20:57
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm on my phone so incant post any photos but I have seen online some simple signs you could print or make that are a good reminder to people to not drink and drive! Maybe have 1 or 2 at the bar as a friendly note without being personally in people's faces!! If you know anyone not drinking maybe ask for help to keep an eye on a few people who you feel might break this rule?
  • S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is perfectly reasonable to put something at the bottom, like

"Remember to celebrate safely - don't drink and drive! There are several transportation services available in the area:

- Cab Company Name: Phone number

- Keys Please Service Name: Phone number

- Local Hotels

- Transit info

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I thought when you said "act responsibly"... You meant 'fun sucking' like, telling people to behave and not get too drunk... (even then I would say that's not fun sucking, it's asking people to be respectful)... but making sure guests get home safe? DO IT. for sure!!! They are adults! If they don't look at that reminder and think "yes, of course!"... then they needed the reminder. It should be common sense/second nature for a mature adult not to drink and drive...

Giving them nearby transit stops and a couple taxi numbers would be good, and it comes off more like "Hey I know you're smart people who are going to use these, so I've helped you out!"

Considering you're already sending out a reminder, having something at the end can be worked in really easy. At the bottom just say, "We want everyone to let loose, have fun, and stay safe! Leave your car at home! The nearest bus stop is the X line, and our suggested taxi company is X - 888-123-4567. And remember, buzzed driving is drunk driving."

It could come off a little "mom-ish?" haha... but honestly if you care about your friends/family, it will come off as caring, not controlling.

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m a server and bartender, so I’m always concerned about if people are drinking and driving. I totally get it! We’re having a shuttle service going back to the hotel a couple times at night. We’re also going to get our DJ to announce a couple times throughout the night and say that for those who aren’t going ha k to the hotel, we’re more than happy to provide numbers of Keys to Us companies or cab companies.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You're not telling people to not drink, you're reminding them of options if they choose to drink, so I think you should include it.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with most others on here where people are adults and have so many options regarding getting home safely. Where are you hosting the event? Home or a venue? If it's in your home, then you could dictate the "don't drink and drive" a little more, but if it's at a venue, it would seem a little controlling if you were to pre-warn your guests not to drink too much.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Whoever has the liquor permit is the one on the line if anybody gets in a car and drives drunk - so it seems completely right of you to remind people. In Manitoba we always have socials going on so we don't really need to tell people not to drink and drive - but it doesn't hurt to put in what you are suggesting (the cabs and bus routes). I would word it more along the lines of "We expect you to have the best time and to have a drink in your hands at all times - so here are some cabs and bus routes because you are going to need it!"

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly, there’s a lot of people out and about that go ‘oh I haven’t drank that much’ or that drink and drive anyway (My mum is a nurse at a major emergency department here in BC, she can tell you how ridiculous it is) I would recommend including taxi numbers or bus numbers because it can’t hurt! Don’t necessarily say ‘don’t drink and drive’ but put something in a more positive phrasing, like suggesting “Here’s a few options for getting home safely!” It gets the message across and gives people the information they need to find a safe way home, but it doesn’t sound as patronizing, and people respond better when things are phrased in a positive statement.
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    These people are adults and should make the appropriate decision to not drink and drive. There are so many alternatives to driving... like Uber, taxi, carpooling... and if you do decided to arrange a pick up for them (which I wouldn’t bc they should be able to take care of themselves and make the right choice from the gecko) your doing them a HUGE favour and is incredible sweet of you. They are responsible for themselves.
    Maybe im just all about the tough love, but they will be fine with a friendly reminder to not drink and drive.
  • Julia
    Frequent user June 2019 Alberta
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are arranging for those who wish to be able to take a bus from our venue to a hotel, if they don't want to stay at the hotel we will be making sure that there are cabs out front waiting for them, and they will be asked to reserve these through us about a week before. I feel that that is doing everything that we can and just hope its enough. Adults are adults, and we can only help them make the right decision, and cannot hold their hand the whole time. Being responsible does not mean that you are fun sucking, or that they will not be able to have a good time.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not a judgy thing at all. Something like this in the reminder “we want you to enjoy your night so we recommend using Uber or abc cab company to get to and from the reception”. Also at the beginning of the reception and then again closer to the end you can have the MC give the cab number and remind people not to drink and drive and to use these other resources. We will be doing this at ours even though most people are staying there.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your asking nicely plus reminding your guests to be safe towards themselves and others.

Its true that drinking and driving can be avoided at any cost.

The venue should have a cut off time for:
    Guests getting drunk fast
    Last call for drinks
    Keys taken away if driving
  • Natalie
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you really want you can provide a list of taxi services in the area, the number of bus lines that run near the venue and phone numbers for those guys that come and drive you and your car home. That’s a very, very subtle reminder that doesn’t sound patronizing but helpful. But yeah I think you need to remember these people are adults and they’re responsible for themselves. Not sure who your friends are though Smiley laugh

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics