Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bethany
Newbie June 2025 Ontario

Does anyone not care to have a wedding cake?

Bethany, on January 2, 2023 at 15:50 Posted in Wedding reception 0 19
I'm not a super traditional bride, I just got engaged and upon talking to my fiance and he doesn't reallu care to a have a cake snd neither do I. I'm not big on sweets and neither is he, we were thinking of doing a sunday bar for our guest's for desert. Has anyone else done this? To us its an unnecessary expense..

19 Comments

Latest activity by Kimberly, on January 16, 2023 at 08:02
  • Kimberly
    Curious September 2023 British Columbia
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH and I thought about doing a cream puff cake( he loves cream puffs), then thought about donuts. We chose to do a 6 inch cutting cake for pictures, the got cupcakes for everyone else.
  • D
    Devoted September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We replaced wedding cake with cupcakes made in the shape of flowes. This eliminated the need for centerpieces and the cupcakes were very well received by the guests!
  • Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Pretty much agree with everyone here. I have been to several weddings the past few years, including my own, and I don't think anyone had cake. Lots of alternatives like dessert bars or cupcakes. We did donuts and cookies.
    As a guest, I'd LOVE a sundae bar over cake 100%
  • Lissa
    Devoted October 2022 Ontario
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We weren’t going to do a cake as our venue package included a dessert course + we did a candy bar. In the end we found a local company who made a small two tier cake for around $100 and she even matched our florals. It was nice to have the photo cutting the cake, but we didn’t serve it at the wedding. We served it the next day at a brunch my MIL was hosting for out of town guests. No one questioned why we didn’t serve it at the wedding or why an announcement wasn’t made about cutting it, so no one really cared if there was cake or not.
  • Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're not having one either. With dessert after dinner and a sweet late night table, didnt make sense to have more dessert for the guests. However, since the cake is included in our venue package, I opted for some cupcakes, cause those I can take home Smiley smile Cupcake and Coffee the following morning sounds lovely

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cake isn't for everyone as you have said which is true. You can go with other options that do fill you both to your hearts. Not all couples will do cake unless they have it as the main top for cutting or their anniversary.

We did do cake though it was the top tier we saved for the 1st year anniversary and had assorted pastries served with plated dessert as each person got one piece apart from family who got cake. It was different yet good to have variety.

• Joy
    Frequent user August 2023 Nova Scotia
    Joy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When my mom got married a second time, I made her brownies with the help of a friend, because we thought that would be more fun than cake. I've seen all sorts of things, and it all depends on what traditions you want to keep, like the feeding each other a bite of dessert, or cutting the cake together, and those could be adapted to other things if they're important to you.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahaha true. I know every wedding is different. For our wedding All of our guests at our bottom half of our cake! Was delicious!!
    Does anyone not care to  have a wedding cake? 1

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding where they had a variety of pies and another wedding where there was no dessert and just a tappa bar that was fun.

• KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement Bethany! We are having a one tier cake for us to cut and cupcakes included in our sweet table for our guests. We wanted a plain white iced cake with a few flowers matching our decor but couldn't justify the $300+ price tag for such a small, simple cake

• L
    Frequent user August 2023 Ontario
    Lily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're having macrons! I didn't want to spend money on a cake that no one is going to eat. Plus, our venue has dessert included with the meal so we figured people would pick at little macrons if they wanted anything extra.

• Rebecca
    Expert October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Nothing beats cheesecake!!!!
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had dessert tarts! Fresh fruit tar, strawberry rhubarb, a chocolate option...I think there were 4 different kinds and it was a hit! I like you, did not want the traditional idea and look of a cake so we opted out of it. I do agree though, it is nice to offer your guests something sweet after dinner - I think its appreciated especially paired with coffee/tea!
  • Bethany
    Newbie June 2025 Ontario
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm prepared to do some sort of sweets but a huge cake I can't justify the cost. Honestly rather have my moms homemade cheesecake lol
  • Bethany
    Newbie June 2025 Ontario
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's how I feel😅 I never see guests eat cake anyways
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you guys don't want a cake, then don't have one! It's your wedding do what you want to do!
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    There’s so many options now a days, I’ve seen donut walls champagne walls cup cakes and muffins traditional desserts feom places the couple have travelled the option is totally up to you guys but typically a dessert of some kind is expected in most cases in my experience
  • Bethany
    Newbie June 2025 Ontario
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awesome, thank you. It's been years since I've been at a qedding as as much as I don't care for traditional i don't want to be lacking or not give the guests what's expected

• Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    More and more people are opting for a dessert table or sundae station rather than cake and I think that’s totally fine if you want to skip desert all together some people may be taken back, so I think a sundae bar would be a great compromise to cover all the basis

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics