Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Do you take planning breaks?

Joey, on July 6, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 22

Whether you have a long or a short engagement, there may come times during the planning process where you just cannot make one more wedding decision, where you can't bring yourself to even think about your playlist or taste another piece of cake! What do you do to get some space away from wedding planning? Do you take breaks from planning?

Do you take planning breaks? 1

22 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on July 10, 2018 at 00:05
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My "break" from planning is Thursday morning - Saturday night when I work 3 12-hour days in a row. It's rough, but definitely breaks things up!

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The breaks I have taken are mainly during week nights as I work over an hour away and by the time I get home and get everything done I basically have no time to sit down and relax. Also, I have enjoyed being in my FH parent's pool on the weekends when I take a break from wedding plans.

• Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have definitely taken breaks in my planning process, but mostly because I have done everything I can up until that point and then I drive myself crazy because I feel like there is something more I should be doing. At that point it's better just to walk away from everything and come re-visit it all again in a few weeks.

• Jane
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Jane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We would set one day a week to do wedding planning, if we didn't feel up to it we would postpone to the next day. If we had any ideas or thoughts we would write them down and get to it on the planning day. Worked great. I head a harder time then my partner. But now that we're less than 20 days away it's coming in handy.
  • Kaye
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yeah my apartment flooded a month ago so I got emergency evicted and the wedding has been on the back burner since. 55 days out !
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Same here, we are starting to look at staring some diy projects. I really like these flowers, but I don’t know where I’ll be able to find flowers similar to make them. Also going to look at making a Dutch wishing tree.

Do you take planning breaks? 2
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was quite surprised with the lack of off season discounts... but most of our vendors were less expensive to begin with. Most discounts are with traditional wedding venues that charge more for peak season.
    We will need to do one more weekend this month of hardcore planning, then I can start puttering through my DIY projects
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yep I took a break at the end of May when we had my bachelorette party. I didn’t do much for three weeks including no wedding wire. It was great! Just what I needed.
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm trying to focus on a weekend and weekday schedule!

Weekends are for planning and week days are break timesSmiley smile it is helping tremendously with stress!
  • Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s good, I was just ready to start planning right away had most of the major things booked a year in advance and we were able to get some good discounts. It doesn’t seem like here that there is much discount for being off-season. I’m so excited I can’t wait until January and at the same time I keep thinking about all the stuff we still need to do. My fiancé being allergic to flowers and me not wanting centre pieces with fake flowers I’m looking at what we can do.
  • R
    Curious May 2023 Ontario
    Rayann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm taking a break right now. I know I have a lot of time. So far I'm happy I've booked my venue, photographer and videograpgher. Those are my priorities just waiting for the contract to be mailed out so I can start saving and paying it off in advance. My brain needs a break
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yay! Wedding buddies!
    I want to get the majority of stuff done by the beginning/mid December so Christmas and stuff is stress free.
    Because of being January, I have found a lot of vendors dont even need to book my consults until after this wedding season (Septembe for more)... and everyone has been free for our date that I have contacted.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm far enough away. so that helps.
    I try my best not to plan/do much on weekends. minus maybe talking to fiancé or friends about stuff. I try to not even go on WW on weekends. just to give my brain the break.
    About a month after we got engaged. I did go head first into planning because I wanted us to get vendors/deposits paid that way we had lots of time to pay things and be able to pay stuff a little bit each month.

• Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Just reading that you are 6 months out and I noticed we are getting married on the same date lol.

We had the major stuff booked far in advance, just planning more decor and what not. I definitely take breaks from the planning, but I want to have the majority done 2 months out so that I can relax and not stress.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I Definitely take breaks! Since I'm still over a year, it' quite doable. Also planning long distance so I'm unable to meet vendors all the time. My venue is booked, which is all inclusive with ceremony and reception spaces, catering, bar, etc. so there are some things I don't have to really worry about.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sure. I go a few days here and there without even mentioning the wedding. We are still far enough out (6 months), that I haven't even had to start diving in to the nitty gritty details yet. Unfortunately, taking a more lax approach also means we need to secure our DJ & Officiant still. Eeks. Must do this ASAP.

Also engagement photos need to be booked, and invitations ordered...

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally took breaks when I was planning! If I hadn't I would have lost my sanity!

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes, we take a lot of breaks, even if we're having a short engagement. We usually spend max 2-3 evenings a week in full planning mode, although we might talk about some things at other times. We also occasionally take weeks off.

• Missa
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Missa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I go through phases! We are getting married in 2019 and I booked most of my vendors this winter. Then I took a break for a couple of months - and then I bought my wedding dress!. We are planning a wedding in NB from Ottawa, so this summer we are going over there for a few weeks and I'll be able to meet with my decorator, coordinator and check in with the hotel. We will also be doing our engagement session! It's exciting but I need to take breaks because then I end up being anxious and having wedding nightmares haha

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So far I haven't found a way to not plan. I am trying to get everything booked and then I can rely on a list and take a step back. If I don't then I will end up with no photographer or no social or something!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was in planning mode since the time my husband said ok to a small wedding. It was hands on for me and all details were taken care by myself. All the vendors were able to work towards all details provided. I had lists and tasks completed on here too done.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh yeah! If I was in wedding mode all the time I'm sure I would drive a lot of people nuts (especially my fiance who is not a planner at allll)

We have days together that are wedding specific! But also have a lot of days that are just for us and no wedding bukbuk (unless a quick note of comment, nothing serious planning wise)

We still have just under a year and I have made a very detailed checklist to follow which we are keeping track of! Slow and steady! Stress free!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics