Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Do you spend time apart?

Lynnie, on May 13, 2019 at 09:05 Posted in WeddingWire 0 30

It's always healthy to spend some time doing your own thing when you're in a relationship - whether it's pursuing your own hobbies, having some "me time", spending time with your friends, or going all out on girl's night!

Do you and your fiancé(e) spend time apart? Never, always, or sometimes?

giphy.gif

Next Question: Do you use your fiancé(e)'s toothbrush?

Back to the Beginning: Never, Always, or Sometimes?

30 Comments

Latest activity by BunnyBride, on July 30, 2019 at 17:58
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sometimes. It's all about balance. My weird schedule with longer days but fewer to work kind of gives both of us "me time".

• Loi-Marie
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Loi-Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sometimes. We spend time apart when I go visit my family, especially right now because he’s working and I’m still studying for my board exams so we’re apart for weeks. He gets a bit in his feelings when I travel with my friends without him though (mostly because he’s worried about the environment)
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sometimes. I work 3 nights a week, he works one night, so we definitely get to have time to ourselves.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not a lot intentionally.. we work shifts so we both end up with time to ourselves.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We spend a fair amount apart during the week because of our work schedules, but we spend at least an hour together each night before he goes to bed. He gets alone time before I get home and I get it in the morning before work and a little bit after he goes to sleep.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sometimes! our schedules are backwards - he’s off saturday and sunday and i’m off monday and tuesday, so we each get two days a week to ourselves, which is actually super nice. We both encourage each other to take time for ourselves and our friends
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Always. I NEED my 'me time' and he's mostly good about letting me have it. We're both homebodies but we have our own hobbies in addition to the things we like to do together.

• Shruti
    Beginner July 2019 Alberta
    Shruti ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes. Spending time apart to do your own thing is important ... I like to watch my shows when he wants to catch up on his reading or wants to hang out with the boys
  • K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sometimes. We do a lot together but we also have separate interests.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Always!
    For our own sanity, we think it's important to have our own interests and life "outside" of our relationship. We're definitely not tied to the hip,

• Jenna
    Frequent user February 2021 Nova Scotia
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are basically always together. We live & work together. So unless she’s at work on my day off, we’re together.
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We spend most of our non working time together but every so often he'll go out with a friend and I'll just go out with a friend or go shopping.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

While we are both at work.. otherwise we are almost always together

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sometimes, I go to Zumba with my sister one night a week. He'll go down the street to neighbours for a beer every now and again. But mostly we are together.

• Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Rarely
    We love being together and have the same hobbies
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sometimes it's a natural break when he's on a night shift, other times it's because we have different hobbies and I schedule time to pursue them.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sometimes. We have different hobbies and different friend groups.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sometimes, not often since we are raising a son together. He goes to work and I stay home with our son so we spend time apart but we are never alone.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sometimes. I’m very independent and my FH is not very independent. So some weekends I suggest he does his own thing with his friends and I stay home and read, spend time with my family, etc
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sometimes. Like right now while he is away for 6 weeks Smiley tongue He gets home and leaves for 1 more week and then he will be back!!

But in day to day life he goes out with the boys sometimes and I like to go shopping with my friends on occasion.

• Claire
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In our case, my FH works in the states mon to fri sometimes every week but mostly every other week so when we see each other in the weekend the excitement builds up and feels like we havent see each other for years.
  • Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If FH had his way we would spend every waking minute together. I can't even go in to another room to read a book without him following me.. Or god forbid I take a bath in silence for half an hour haha.

When we first started dating we were long distance.. So when we were together that was nice.

But now that we have lived together for two years I have to constantly remind him that it is okay to go do things without me. We play the same sports, we love a lot of the same things. So we play on the same teams and etc.. which means we have to make even more of an effort to do things without each other. but he has gotten better at calling his friends up to hang out one night or etc.

I love that we do most things together, don't get me wrong. But I think you still need your own life a little bit.. And time away from each other to not go insane.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sometimes. We each enjoy our own activities. We’re both homebodies so usually doing our own thing at home.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Now that he started working out of town, we have a lot of time apart. Haha. We do have some of the same hobbies. We both hunt, but I skip out on some trips throughout the season and he goes with a buddy. Now that he’s out of town we spend most of our weekends together.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sometimes.

When he is on afternoons, he has the morning to himself, and I have the night to myself. So its a nice little break.

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sometimes. I just visited my family in Ontario for 4 days alone. He goes out a lot on Fridays in the summer to solo camp and do his photography while I'm working.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sometimes for sure! We have our things, and our guy/girl time. I also have lots of family out of town so I go away for a few weekends a year while he stays home.

• Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For the first 2 years always, we were in a long distance relationship. Now it is sometimes, between work and school our lives don't always match up so when we are both home we usually spend time together.
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sometimes - we love to do most things together, but we will also do girls or guys trips apart from time to time, he golfs with his buddies and I golf with mine and sometimes we golf together.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sometimes- we tend to do a lot together- he does have his own things like atving. We tend to have the same friends so when we go places usually guys hang out then girls hang out or mixed. He does go see them separate too

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics