Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hae
Newbie August 2022 British Columbia

Do you give your bridesmaids gifts when you ask or after the wedding?

Hae, on May 20, 2021 at 21:54 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 17
Just wondering what people do - whether they give bridesmaids gifts after they say yes or the wedding, or you prepare before asking?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Rebecca, on May 25, 2021 at 19:20
  • Rebecca
    Curious June 2022 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I ordered some bracelets with their initials. And a little card asking them if they want to be in the bridal party. Easier for me Smiley smile

• Taylyn
    Curious April 2022 Ontario
    Taylyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not the greatest with words tbh and don’t feel like it’s a text message type thing ... I ordered beach bags with bridesmaids/maid of honour on them and got them travel mugs with a small bottle of champagne in there and going to add a card
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wedding party gifts were given the day of the wedding itself as it was meant to be done. We had only 4 people part of our day who did a lot except for one, who is still our friend and knows my husband for a long time.
  • Abbie
    Devoted June 2022 Nova Scotia
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be doing thank you gifts after the wedding though Smiley smile
  • Abbie
    Devoted June 2022 Nova Scotia
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have nothing against bridesmaid proposals, but I do feel as though they are simply a marketing gimmick to get you to spend more money, lol! I’ve been a bridesmaid/junior bridesmaid several times and never had a bridesmaid proposal and never felt slighted in the least!

I wrote heartfelt cards to my my bridesmaid since they’re all too far away to ask in person. For my maid of honour I did send her a surprise “Hand of the Bride” pin ( a la Game of Thrones) as we both love the series and we were also Arya and Sansa for Halloween one year. Smiley smile
  • Rebecca O
    Curious May 2022 Saskatchewan
    Rebecca O ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I gave each of my bridesmaids a nice metal wine cup with lids and straws to use on the wedding day that said their name and then bridesmaid on the other side! As well as a card. But for the day before the wedding I have makeup bags with their names and will fill it with stuff they may need on the day (deodorant, gum, oil blot sheets etc) as well as all of them will be getting matching earrings to wear for the wedding 😊
  • Hae
    Hae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Love your thoughtful response, Carmel! I think I will do a card at first and think more of what reminds me of each one of them and give it on a day before the wedding or rehearsal
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree with Hank! The proposal gifts are definitely a marketing gimmick. I made my thoughtful girls cards and cupcakes with toppers that asked them. I also think you can just flat out ask! I did gifts the night before the wedding to thank them for everything - that seems like the most appropriate timing to me. It was really important to me that I didn't give them useless stuff they'll never want to see/use again - they deserved more than that. I personally also really hate getting useless gifts haha. If you want specific outfits or whatever for getting ready pictures, that's great, but I'd also make sure to add a personalized gift to that which goes beyond the wedding unless it's something that already will (robes were never an option for me but my MOH told me she's never even looked at the 3-4 she has in a drawer again...). It also made more sense to me to spend more on a thank you than spend money on some random "proposal" stuff!
  • Hae
    Hae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your feedback!! Smiley laugh
  • Hae
    Hae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is a great idea Smiley smile thanks!
  • Caitlyn
    Frequent user September 2021 Alberta
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I gave my bridal party cards asking if they would be my bridesmaids, and I'm planning on giving them a gift bag at the actual wedding.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didnt do a proposal box. I'll give my MOH her gift day of wedding while we are getting ready. As long as the time is right for you I think that's the best time to do it.
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I should be thinking of this and coming up with ideas. I did not think about a bridal party till my sisters said “we’ll be the bridesmaid” and I was like ohhhh okay. Reason: it was a plan to be a small backyard wedding. MOH is my sister and bridesmaid are my sister, cousin and fiancé’s cousin. Now I have to think of ideas for gifts...

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think gifts for the wedding is the "norm" but the bridesmaid proposals are just a fun extra! Not really needed. I did some little gifts when I asked them to be my bridesmaid (spend around $60 between all 4 girls) and I will give them gifts for the wedding.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When I asked my MOH, I did give her I gift. It was a wine glass that says Maid Of Honor on it and I plan on giving her a gift the day of the wedding as a thank you. I've been thinking of getting her a Pandora charm that says "best friend" or something close to it

• Hae
    Hae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your input Hank!!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When we were members of a bridal party, we received gifts for or after the wedding, so we're doing the same for our bridal party. I feel like the bridal party gift proposal thing is a new western gimmick to make people spend more money lol. I mean, if you can afford it, it can be fun but I've honestly never seen it until recent years.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics