Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Do siblings need to be in the wedding party?

Lynnie, on January 22, 2018 at 13:24 Posted in WeddingWire 0 13

How are you handling siblings and your wedding party?

Do all siblings need to be in the wedding party? What's your opinion?!

Do siblings need to be in the wedding party? 1

Photo from Pastel Dress Party in Toronto

For more community conversations about your wedding party, check out: How did you ask your wedding party? , Wedding party - choosing their own outfits? , and Are even sides important to you?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on January 24, 2018 at 19:06
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No I don't think they need to be. I think it's a nice gesture but it would depend on the sibling's personalities. I have 2 younger sisters and neither of them are in the wedding party, they will be helping with certain things during the day. Many ppl were shocked I didn't ask them to be my bridesmaids but it's not in their personalities to take on such a role, they are also both minors and in jr high & high school. Their education is more important than the wedding itself, I would rather they focus on their studies than wedding details. It isn't/wasn't ideal to ask them, even me asking them to help out the decoration set up and small tasks they flat out said they didn't want to but I told them too bad as I NEED their help. We are close don't get me wrong but they are not outgoing by any means.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I do jave siblings and didn't include them part of the wedding party due to distance and their busy schedule. We had friends we treat as family as our best men and same with maid of honours.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't include my brother in the wedding as we aren't really that close but I did ask his sister to be one of my bridesmaids.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Me and my sister are really close so she will be. My brother's will not be groomsmens but that doesn't bother me because my FH isn't super close since we all live in different cities. My FH is having his brother as a groomsmen but mostly due to pressure from the family. And he brother has a fiancée and his mom subtly mentions how I should ask her to be a BM but that's not happening lol. It all depends on relationship, if there is a strong one then go for it, if not then it's not a big deal.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Feel free to print out my response and give it to her lol
    I like my sisters-in-law a lot but we are not like close friends and they both have small children so it would have been difficult.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can you please tell my future mother in law this?

She's been going after me for 7 months now that I didn't as my FSIL to be my bridesmaid. She said I don't have siblings so I don't 'understand family bonds'. I wish I could point her at this thread and be like SEE!

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm an only child so easy out there... but neither of my FHs brother or sister will be in our wedding party. My FBIL is a bit of gongshow and my FSIL would rather not be in the wedding so we are having his niece and nephew (FSILs kids) take part in the ceremony instead.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No they do not "need" to be in the wedding party. I didn't ask either of my sisters-in-law to be in the wedding party (I have no siblings). I think it depends on your relationship with that person.

• Meghan
    Frequent user August 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I asked my fiancé’s sister to be one of my bridesmaids but neither of my brothers will be groomsmen. I talked to one of my brothers about it and he basically said he would do it if my fiancé asked but he would rather just attend as a guest.
  • Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No, siblings do not “need” to be in the wedding party. My sister is my MOH but we are very, very close. My brother and my future sister-in-law are not involved, they are just guests.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the relationship. I think it's a nice gesture to ask them but your wedding party should be those that are closest to you. My brother is not in the wedding party, but he is the MC. My fiance's brother is a groomsmen, but his sisters are not. He does not get along with his sisters, and they made no attempt to get to know me at family events, so I was not going to go out of my way to include them.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it depends on the sibling... Not just a blanket yes or no!

None of my 5 brothers are in the wedding party and my FHs sister is not in the party.
    We did ask FHs brother to be the Best Man and his wife is one of my bridesmaids. The 4 of us are best friends and hang out frequently so it only made sense to include them and not the others.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Funny seeing this discussion today as this has been a massive issue for our wedding.

I do not have siblings, but my FH has a brother and a sister.

His brother is his Best Man, but I have four girlfriends who are like family, so I have no asked his sister to be a bridesmaid. We aren't close, FH and his sister aren't close so we decided against it. My FMIL is livid and has been guilt tripping us about it for the last 7 months now. It's fantastic.

We have asked his sister to do a reading during the ceremony though so she can be involved.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics