Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Laura
Super September 2017 Alberta

Do i need a wedding cake or cupcakes?

Laura, on May 9, 2017 at 16:13 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 17

I am trying to decide if I need to have a cake for cutting and cupcakes or if I should just have a cutting cake or if I should skip the whole thing altogether. I am so indecisive. To give some background, my ceremony starts at 5:30, Cocktails with appetizers are 6:00-7:30ish Supper is at 8-9 ish it is buffet and there is a dessert table included. At 11 or 1130 there will be a midnight supper. This seems like a lot of food. Especially if we add in cupcakes....The appetizers and the midnight supper are required by the venue if we serve liquor. I like the idea, I have my aunties cake server that she used at her wedding and that my mom also used at hers and I kind of want to use it...and at this point my brain explodes because it is holding too much information. Thoughts and opinions?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 30, 2018 at 12:12
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Being newlyweds now, I'm sure you followed up with going cupcakes and an one tier cake.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm more of a fan of a wedding cake if the wedding is more formal. Cupcakes seem casual to me, but that's just my opinion. I love the idea of using your aunts cake server! I think that's super special! Since you are having a lot of food, make the cupcakes mini cupcakes instead or macarons maybe? It would be smaller pieces to serve with all that food and you still have both cake and Cupcakes. Let us know what you decide!

Do i need a wedding cake or cupcakes? - 1
  • Natalie
    Curious June 2017 Quebec
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're ordering cupcakes because our venue charges a "cutting fee" for cake and said we could waive this if we chose something that guests could "grab-and-go" vs. Being served by staff. Plus cupcakes can easily brought home as a favor and can have a variety of flavors Smiley smile I'm also ordering less than the number of total guests, and rather mini-sized cupcakes since we're offering other types of desserts.
  • Kaci
    Newbie September 2017 Ontario
    Kaci ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are the bakers okay with using a styrofoam layer? I would love to just have a cake for a cake cutting photo opp but when I look into a cake for the wedding (one that would feed our guests) it was more than I wanted to spend! Trying to think of other options. Is it common to have a small cake to cut and serve the guests sheet cakes from the kitchen?

• Laura
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is a lot of food, but it also sounds amazing! If you want to use the cake cutter set, I would recommend getting a small cake just for yourselves, any leftovers you could take home for the next day. You mentioned having a dessert table, I think you're all set of the sweet side of things. You don't want to have too much food, and then you have to worry about wasting it.

• Jessica
    Frequent user July 2018 Nova Scotia
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im having cupcakes with one small 8inch cake on top for cutting 😁
  • Hannah
    Frequent user March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Hannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you are worried about having too much food when you add in a cake, have a faux cake! I am planning to order a Styrofoam cake that will have one really layer so it looks like we had a cake cutting at the wedding
  • Laura
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! Smiley heart This is all great advice and I feel a little bit less crazy about it. Smiley heart I still haven't decided anything but I might just do a cutting cake. I only have a couple of the big decisions left to make and it seems like they are giving me the most grief. This is probably why I left them to last! lol! Smiley smile

• Katherine
    Frequent user August 2017 Quebec
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    At our wedding everyone is eating the dessert included in the meal, and the head table will have a small cake with a topper to cut (just to get the pictures)
    If your guests will have dessert than a cake isn't necessary, if you want the pictures then you can do something small for yourself
  • Kate
    Expert July 2017 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing CupCakes. so much easier for serve our guest that way, No fussing with Slices of cake.

• Stephanie
    Devoted September 2019 Quebec
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im doing both. A small cake for the cutting the cake and have a cut topper but everyone will eat a cupcake. the mini ones Smiley laugh

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be having a small cake to cut and a desserts table... Your time line is a bit tight have you considered cutting the cake before supper?
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cake isn't mandatory. I've missed at least half the cake cuttings at weddings I've attended. We won't be having one.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren't doing a cake or anything, just a table of assorted desserts. I understand the sentimentality of using your aunties cake server though. Do what makes you happy. Don't feel like you have to conform to tradition or people's expectations.
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is what we're doing as well. Plus the bakery we ordered the cupcakes from will leave the boxes so we can take home what isn't eaten. This way it doesn't feel like a waste.
  • Laura
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is sort of what I am thinking but then I look at the time line and because we are starting so late it seems like a lot for 8 hours.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a 1 tier cake for us to cut, and cupcakes for the guests. We wanted to cut the cake because its a tradition we want to use and we would like a photo of us cutting the cake! I think that would be lovely to use your aunties cake server, it has a sentimental value to it if you ask me!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics