Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becky
VIP September 2019 Ontario

DJ Services- Average Costs

Becky, on April 17, 2019 at 10:46 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18

I recently had my dj cancel on me for my wedding and I have time to find another one at least! My thing is what I would have paid him all the quotes I am getting are an extra 400 or more than double what I would have paid him. He was reputable, plays lot of places and well known. I thought his price was reasonable but know wondering if it was cheaper than normal.

What was the average cost of your dj and how many hours did you book them for?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on May 21, 2019 at 15:13
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our DJ is costing around $2000 but it includes up-lighting and all access to our venues lighting equipment.

• Deziray
    Curious August 2019 Ontario
    Deziray ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We found someone for $800.00 for 8 hours. And we have one of the groomsmen playing our ceremony music for us. But most of what I have seen is well over $1000.00.
  • Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Vinod! Most dj's I have talked to accept do not play lists- I didn't consider the language though ! This is something I would as well.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am glad to hear you were able to find someone and they are cheaper!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our DJ was $1000 for the wedding and reception. He also was the MC for the dances and speeches. Just make sure if you don't like vulgar language if requests will be played upon others asking your DJ, put that as a NO NO. I had this happen not during the recording and didn't like that he took those requests to play.

• Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be paying $1900 for MC and DJ, starting at around reception time 5-whenever it ends
  • S
    Frequent user March 2021 Ontario
    Stiffra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our DJ is about $1900 for the entire length of the reception! We also hired a professional MC to MC with him.
  • Allison
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our originally DJ was $1,200 for 10 hours, two sets of equipment (one for ceremony and one for dinner), he unfortunately cancelled on us and I was in a panic for about a week. We lucked out, found someone who was still available and guess what... they are cheaper! They are offering the same 10 hours and 2 sets of equipment for just under $1,000.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Casey! I didn't think of asking them about preferred vendors Smiley smile

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I believe ours is around $1000 for the whole reception time, and then $400 for the ceremony because they have to bring extra equipment.

Maybe check with your venue as well? Ours has "preferred vendors" that they work with, and many of the vendors I have booked through the venue have offered us a good discount!

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am honestly shocked how expensive it is.. like if I went for the $1300 its almost as much as my photography! There was one person who was that price and I think he would be amazing and he works with you along the way with different lists, grand entrance ideas, hes also been to my location before. I am just trying to figure if I can even make it work at this point.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Leah! The quotes I got were for 6 hours -.- the more expensive packages said it would include 8 hours

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're working with a family friend and his discounted rate is $900 - I was surprised by how high the other quotes I got were, actually. It seems that the going rate in the GTA is at least $1,500.

• Leah
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our DJ is a family friend but I believe he said his typical pricing is $900 for 8 hours? Smiley smile

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I asked if he would do a contract and he said that the emails are enough and him stating that he has never backed out before nor will he ever back out. His sister told him shes getting married that day and that is why he is backing out. He offered his father who taught him how to DJ but I don't really know if I want the father as he hasn't done it in a while, is he even up to date with new music, and few other reasons. However my DJ for the wedding was $500 and he was booked for the social. My DJ for social is booked for my wedding as well. All places I have gotten quotes for are $750-1300. I already gave a deposit and he will give it back, but now this isn't in my budget at all. Idk if should stick with his dad anyway.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My DJ was just about $1,000 but we got her for the wedding social as well as the wedding itself.

Was there anything in the contract about them having to find your replacement if they pull out? I find that that is one of the best clauses to have in any contract so that they are potentially out the extra money it would cost for them to find somebody to do what they were promising.

If not, I would say the range of money to be paying would be anywhere from $400 - $1,000 for a DJ. Any more and I don't think it's worth unless they are throwing in all the bells and whistles like lighting, fog machine, primo set up equipment rather than a table for them to put their computer on, etc.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

HI Gina,

Thank you for sharing your package with me! This was the second vendor that has canceled on me so far. Fingers crossed this is the last! I am glad that he canceled this far in advance and not any closer to the wedding!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m so sorry you’re canceled! I always worry about that. My DJ was $1200 with tax for this package. Hopefully you can find someone right away! Good luck

DJ Services- Average Costs 1

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics