Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Anja
Newbie September 2021 Ontario

diy wedding frustrations

Anja, on April 27, 2019 at 19:55 Posted in DIY 0 10
So my fiance and I want to do everything ourselves, including catering, bar, clean up, etc.

We are getting frusterated with the lack of options with venues and caterers. Most venues we find don't allow outside catering and there's no way to actually search for venues who do though this app.

Im aware we could rent a park but they are mostly not open past 11pm so that's not idea for timing.

Any and all tips and advice is appreciated!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Anja, on May 12, 2019 at 09:35
  • Anja
    Anja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you for all your responses!! We got our venue!! Terra Cotta Conservation area is going to be our place! We are very excited! Thank you all again!!
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You might wish to check out Ball's Falls. We are getting married there in June ... and everything is our responsibility from the set up to the clean up and everything in between. We chose to hire a caterer and someone to put up lights, but you might be able to do this all yourself.
    Congrats and good luck!
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Anja,

If you're thinking something homey and rustic, have you considered an empty barn with string lights? I know a bunch of them allow outside catering as they and i've been to a couple. Some vineyards also allow outside catering. I also went to a wedding where the couple rented a large cottage with the a large backyard where they did their ceremony and then had a bunch of caterers serve food under a tent. I agree with Camille, definitely send out emails to places and wait for a response.

• Camille Luzon
    Newbie July 2019 Alberta
    Camille Luzon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Stephanie. Places such as hotels or restaurants will want you to use their own caterers. Check into various community centers near your area. Especially the ones not as openly advertised. We are also doing a DIY wedding planning, and finding a place that didn't require us to use their caterers were frustrating. What I did was, I sent out emails to a number of community centers or places that we liked or we were not even familiar about and told them about our plans of a DIY wedding, and our requirements, etc. then waited for their responses. I even google searched "wedding reception locations" or "event locations", looked through google map and clicked on their site one by one. Then sent out emails to each and every one of them. Also, check out one of the "wedding buy and sell" groups on Facebook, specifically groups created for your location, as these groups will also give you an idea on where to look. Bonus part, there will be newlyweds selling their wedding items and you can get wedding items that you require at a fraction of what it normally costs bought brand new.

Good luck on your search! Smiley smile

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most places that are geared towards hosting events for the community but not specifically weddings will have packages like this. So basically all the places that Stephanie mentioned. Good luck!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Check community centres, legions, even some city-owned facilities, art galleries, museums. If they normally don’t sell food there, you will probably have to bring in your own. Places that have a restaurant (such as hotels) require you to use their staff.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is there any local wedding swap sites in the area you want to rent in? I would post and ask for recommendations of a list of places who allow outside catering.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not 100% sure but maybe try a legion?! They might be more accommodating.
  • Anja
    Anja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh that's good to know! Thank you!
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We rented a park for our wedding. We have to pay an extra $100 to rent it till 1am. You can see if this is an option for any parks near you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics