Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jessica
Super March 2018 Ontario

diy Videography

Jessica, on February 7, 2018 at 10:57 Posted in DIY 0 19

My fiance and I decided against videography because of cost. I'm thinking of asking one of my friend's who is attending the wedding to film the ceremony and some of the reception parts for me. Has anyone done this? What have you used to record? A phone would die before this, so a professional camera? Something else?

19 Comments

Latest activity by Elizabeth, on February 15, 2018 at 10:18
  • Elizabeth
    Frequent user June 2018 New Brunswick
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm planning on giving the wedding party a small assignment! Each needs to take at least a minute long video and give it to us in the following days, then we'll add then all together. We'll also be inviting anyone attending to record short clips as well and turn them in, then we'll edit them into a beautiful DIY video from all our guests point of view!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have a videographer but my aunt's managed to record our ceremony on her phone which was nice. She just used her iPhone (no clue which model). If your ceremony is short the phone should suffice but a camera or GoPro type thing would be a better option.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone! I have so many options to consider now!

• Julie
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely what i was thinking to do as well Smiley smile A camera would do just fine !

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely get a camera. If any guests have cameras and are willing to help out ask them to either put their camera stationary in a certain place so you can get multiple angles. For example if you put one stationary so that it will be on you during the ceremony (when you are at the altar) and one on him then you can have someone else moving with a camera to capture everything else, then just edit it all together after 😊
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We own the newest model GoPro (really great quality) as does my FH brother who is our Best Man, and one of my friends. We're going to hook one up on our archway looking down at us during the ceremony and also set on up on a little mount at the end of the first row of seats to capture the ceremony. I might do something with the third one, but not sure yet!

We'll again set the GoPro's up to capture speeches and I'm going to ask someone to use it to film our first dance. That's all I care about!

We also own a drone, as does my FH's brother and the same friend... so we might have drone footage if we want to get real crazy.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I heard about wedit think I might look into it 😀
  • Tradingabyss
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Tradingabyss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It is an American company but they do ship to Canada the only thing is they don’t offer free shipping back to them like they do in the states
  • Tradingabyss
    Tradingabyss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s just wedit.com that’s weird it won’t come up on google
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can you share the wedit website. I can't seem to find it when I google.

• Tradingabyss
    Tradingabyss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m really excited about it! So I ended up choosing wedit because they were a better fit for me but you’ll have to compare yourself If you decide to go this route. So with wedit you pay 374 and the week of the wedding you receive 5 cameras. You decide who gets what cameras if you designate people to cameras or if they’re fair game for the whole wedding. You pay to ship them back after the wedding. They send you all the raw footage or you pay 199 for an edited video from them. You can also send them any other videos you have for them to use in an edited video. Check them out, they have a good website
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought this was only an editing source after you have obtained the video itself. Can you tell me more? Which one did you end up choosing?

• Tradingabyss
    Tradingabyss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have you looked into wedit or weddingmix? It’s a lot more reasonably priced than having a videographer. I booked it for my wedding after reading so many great reviews about them online.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing this. FH is looking into a go-pro, or a camera of similar standards and having a friend or family member film for us.

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am planning to do this as well as it just was too expensive and I could never find a good one that would work with the budget. I’m not sure yet what I’m planning to record but I have some soft wear already that I can use. I am going to do test runs with my camera and see how it goes.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are going to set up a video camera during the ceremony. There is a ledge we can put it on with a tripod and just have someone keep an eye on it. Also probably set it up for speeches and have someone film our first dance too. We decided against a videographer for the same reason..so expensive.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friend had a friend record their ceremony. He had his own video camera that he used. I would recommend a video camera over a cell phone. I'm sure if you ask around, you can find one to rent for the day.

• Jamie
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We ended up lucky, finding a video company for $1200.00 for full day coverage with two videographers, and a GoPro guestbook feature where all of the guests can record a message for us on GoPro cameras that will be around the reception!

I have heard of lots of people doing there own though! Either using a couple camcorders or GoPro cameras set up at different areas of the ceremony and reception! There are so many video editing softwares available too, which will allow you to make a video of the wedding highlights!

• Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I plan on giving my video camera to a friend to film for me. It's just a consumer HD video camera that i've had for years, but i've filmed family weddings on it before and it's not too bad. My only concern is sound.

I also have a tripod that i just might set it up on at the church so i don't have to bother anyone with it. I'm undecided right now. I'll probably try it out at the rehearsal and if that doesn't work, i'll just ask a friend.

Plus encourage people to film on their phones and send me footage. :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics