Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
VIP June 2019 Ontario

diy Help!

Holly, on July 12, 2018 at 14:18 Posted in DIY 0 6
So I'll be making signs, I found a place to buy really nice wall decals so I'll buy those with whatever saying I need/want. My plan is to put them on to wood boards, like pine or something from Rona etc.
I plan to paint them my desired colours.
My questions are.. should I sand and prime these first? Or will it be good to just put the pain on? Also since I'll be putting a wall decal on them should I finish it with any kind of coating? If so what should I get?

Any advice is good advice!
Thank you in advance 😊

6 Comments

Latest activity by Julia, on July 25, 2018 at 06:43
  • Julia
    Frequent user June 2019 Alberta
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree, we are doing a mixture for our signage just based on the various types of wood we are using. when we were stenciling larger letters we found it wasn't as big of a deal to sand, the letters were a little sloppier and bumpier, but that's how we wanted it, we also have some that we sanded and painted over to have a smooth finish. It all depends on what you want it to look like. You can always try on a small piece to see what you like and adjust from there.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I sanded my sign but I didn’t prime them. I painted them white and the wood was light. I also didn’t put a finish on it. If you plan to keep it, I would finish it. But, if it’s just to have for the ceremony I don’t think a finish is necessary.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I stencilled letters onto a wooden pallet for a bunch of my signs and found that sanding first made a HUGE difference. I think it just depends on how rough the surface is of what you are using.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes! Trial and error is always super helpful! Haha. Good luck!

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That looks awesome!
    I'll look into some primer to be safe, and see how it looks without anything to deal it and go from there. I'm testing this out on a sign for the baby's room so we will see how that goes before I do the wedding signs!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have a vinyl cutter at work, so I actually do a lot of work with vinyl lettering. I did a sign on painted wood:

diy Help! 1

It stuck just fine on paint. No "sealant" or top coat needed. But it does depend on the quality of the vinyl you're getting. If it seems a little flimsy/thin, make sure the surface is as clean as possible (no dust/ wood shavings).

Same goes for painting, if it's an absorbent piece of wood, stain it or prime it first, or you'll be using extra paint to do a second coat. Which actually might be fine if you have enough to just use one can of paint.

I'd love to see how they turn out!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics