Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Samantha
Frequent user June 2018 Ontario

diy Hair/makeup

Samantha, on November 2, 2017 at 14:16 Posted in Beauty 0 15

I'm trying to look as natural as possible at my wedding, and so I'm thinking about doing my own beauty pampering the day of! Has anyone done this and felt really good about it, or regretted it??

15 Comments

Latest activity by Victoria, on December 15, 2017 at 12:54
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have short hair and am pretty good at make up, so Im also considering doing so.

I would suggest going to Sephora/the Bay and getting a tutorial; you can get them for free if you buy a certain amount of product (I think its like $30 at clinique... They also might just do it for free if you act like you're interested in purchasing stuff). Then you can get some new skills and play around with techniques before you make a final decision.

• Megan
    Beginner November 2018 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That’s something I’ve been thinking about lately. I’m definitely having my hair dresser come to my parents to do my hair since I’m clueless with hair and want my hair to be in a loose bun. For makeup if my bridesmaids are ok with doing there own i’m thinking we will do our own makeup.

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I had that reaction to mine at my wedding when my makeup artist was “done”, but she wanted me to be happy with my look so she asked me a bunch of questions on what I didn’t like and she fixed it on the spot. I left with a look I loved and that felt like me. Any good makeup artist will want you to like what you have on and will work with you to achieve that look. So don’t be afraid to tell them if something isn’t working for you. Also my makeup artist told me that the trouble with looking natural in real life vs on pictures is that to achieve the same end result on pictures requires having more makeup on so that you don’t end up being washed out on the pictures. It’s a delicate balancing act, but doable.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha i hear ya! Well all the power to ya then! Im all for simple and saving a couple bucks! Smiley winking
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You just have to find the right person. I found a person who stated on their website that they prefer to do a natural look on people to only enhance what is already there. After talking to them, I was more at ease and after the makeup trial I was very satisfied.

• Samantha
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's true - It is a wonderful part of the morning of.

I've always done my friends hair and my mom's hair for weddings, and since I'm not doing an updo or anything (I'm just doing waves because I'm wearing a flower crown) I figured that I could do by myself and just use a LOT of hairspray hahaha.

I am both worried about the cost, and the thought that I won't look/feel like myself on such an important day... I mentioned in previous replies that I just felt awful at my sister's wedding, and I look back to pictures and I hate them of me... I feel like the amount of time and money we spent on pros for both my hair and makeup for me to come out of it feeling that awful, if I'm in control of it for my day I think I'll be much happier.

• Samantha
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I just started doing my own makeup, but I'm actually pretty confident! I don't really need a lot of makeup, and for my sister's wedding, I felt like I looked like Mulan when she gets all pampered to be sold off hahaha I just did NOT feel like me. So I was thinking that if I did it, I'd have more control over still being me.

• Samantha
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's true -- definitely will think about this!

• Samantha
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was a bridesmaid at my sister's wedding, and we got our makeup done by pros, and I hated it. I thought I looked awful, and not like myself, which is why I'm scared to have a pro do it for my day.

• Samantha
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I never thought about that! Thank you Smiley smile

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally, I am going to get someone to do it because I know nothing about either. I don't wear much makeup regularly, so I don't really know how to apply it. I also want a natural look, but figured that a professional and do a natural face that will look awesome in photos. I'm also looking forward to that part of the morning!

I think that if you're well-versed with hair and makeup, then go for it! It can get a little expensive, so it would be an easy way to save a little bit of money.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be using a proffessional because i literally do not know how to do my own makeup. I am not someone who wears makeup so i will be going for a very natural look as well. (I can probably count the number of occasions this year i have worn ANY makeup haha)
    I have had it recomended to me to use a professional because they can apply makeup that appears very natural in person but stands out a little more in photos, where often makeup is not visible.
    That being said I know lots of brides who have done their own makeup and looked stunning and their photos turned out great. It really just depends on you and what you are comfortable with. If you are confident in your own makeup skills i would say go for it! Smiley smile
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A little pampering on the day of your wedding is nice and as was said, a professional will know exactly which products to use to make sure you look juat as good at the end of the night as you did when you left for the ceremony.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think if you feel like that is the best option for you and you can manage it without too much stress than go for it. I know there are tons of pros out there that will do a natural look for you though. I did a mostly natural look for my wedding and it was done by a pro.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom did her own but regretted it as she felt like she was oily throughout the night. Kept having to blot herself with toilet paper to keep the oils away. I would go to a professional but tell them exactly what you want.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics