Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amelia
Curious October 2018 Nova Scotia

diy hair and make up

Amelia, on February 6, 2018 at 22:57 Posted in Beauty 0 7
Did anyone decide not to have a stylist do their hair/make up and regret it?

Im trying to decide if its worth the money to hire someone or not. I know theyd definitley do a better job. It just feels like a lot of money that doesn't need to be spent

7 Comments

Latest activity by Ap2017, on February 8, 2018 at 09:33
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would definitely opt for a pro to do your hair if you want anything elaborate. If you're planning an easy style (like say, curls and wearing it down) you could probably swing it yourself. Updo's or anything intricate, I would go for a stylist.

I had my makeup done and I'm glad I did. I didn't have to worry about making it perfect myself. I wear makeup everyday but it was nice to sit back and let someone else take care of things.

You could look into a local cosmetology school to see if there are students who would be willing to do your hair/makeup for a discounted price as they're still learning/building their clientele. They would probably appreciate the experience and chance to build their portfolio. Just make sure you have a couple trial runs with them so you know that they can create something that works for your vision.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My own hairdresser is doing my hair for the wedding so I'm not worried there, she is also a guest at the wedding. As for the makeup I am still on the fence about this. I do not want to do it myself because I'd rather it be done professionally that way it will last and look better in photos. But I'm worried about the cost because if I choose professionally I'd also get all my bridesmaid's makeup done too.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it all depends on what look your going for on your wedding day. I’ve been to weddings where the bride has done her own makeup (and looked gorgeous), and weddings where the bride has had it professionally done (and it looked like too much).
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ive been to a couple wedding in the last year where the brides did their own hair and makeup and they looked beautiful and you couldnt tell they didnt hire someone.

I think as long as you feel confident in you or ypur bridesmaids skills then go for it!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not one who normally wears makeup and my hair is just usually in a ponytail so I knew I had to have someone come for the wedding to do hair and makeup. I think that if you and your girls are pretty good at doing hair and makeup then you can all help each other out and save some money. On the other hand, it is nice to get pampered on your big day. Try finding a mobile stylist instead of going to a salon as they tend to be cheaper (plus you don't have to go anywhere).

• Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m having mine done- just for the simple fact that I get shaky when I get nervous and I can’t do my eyeliner right on a good day! Also it’s all about relaxing!!
  • Jamie
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I can't imagine doing my own hair and makeup, mainly because I am terrible at it! I have been in a wedding party where the bride did everyone's makeup, and it did work out, was just a bit rushed!
    It is worth it for me to spend the money on this I think - I want to feel pampered and I know it will take some stress away from me for the morning of! Money well spent in my mind!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics