Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alycia
Expert March 2020 Ontario

diy Hair & Makeup?

Alycia, on February 9, 2019 at 22:58 Posted in Beauty 0 25

So I’ve never thought much about hiring someone to do my makeup, I prefer doing my own makeup and I like how I do it. Hair I wanted to do a more natural look but I’ll probably still hire someone or at least ask a friend for help with this task.

I’m curious what you’re doing for your wedding?

25 Comments

Latest activity by Alycia, on February 21, 2019 at 07:09
  • Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Perfect, that's what I think I will do too! Thanks Smiley smile
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My bridesmaid is doing my makeup and I am hiring someone for hair.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh that’s great to hear!! That’s exactly what I want to do for myself Smiley smile

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hired a mobile hair stylist, and did my own make up. Honestly, if you're good at doing your own make-up, that's the set up I'd recommend. I paid (with tax and travel fees) about $165 for my bridal hair, and that included my trial. It took a HUGE load off my mind to just wake up at our hotel, get showered, do majority of my make-up, and when she got there, she did all my hair, packed up, and left, and I finished up my makeup. It didn't take time away from any of my girls, and she did a great job!

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Smart plan! I will have to hunt for a hairstylist, I’m pretty confident doing my own makeup.

• Mary
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Mary ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hired someone thank god because the good ones get booked fast. I'll be doing a trial too for both hair and makeup

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What a perfect opportunity to test trial your makeup!

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think I’ll ask for help from my MOH for my hair too. I can do a lot of it but I’ll ask her to make sure to double check it.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm a bridesmaid in another wedding this summer so this is what I'm doing for myself. I don't want to take away from the bride so I'm keeping it on the natural side. I'll probably do my own make-up trial lol

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Having my hair done professionally and getting my makeup done by my MOH - something light and natural.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good plan!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The plan was to either do it myself - or find friends/family to do it for me! lol So right now it looks like my BM will be doing hair (she is a hair dresser), and one of our friends will do makeup/ we will do some of our own depending on what she would charge.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is a really good point.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I’m thinking of going with my instinct and doing my own makeup but asking my sister to finesse it maybe. And have someone come in for my hair.. since I can’t really ever do that right myself.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like this! I think I’lol get help with hair and do my own makeup and have my sister maybe help with finishing touches.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ditto this! My MOH and I are more than capable of doing ours ourself, however we know we won’t want to think about it on the wedding day. That’s why we’re hiring a professional.
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My hair has a mind of its own and needs a professional to make it look nice for special occasions, so there was no question in my mind that I needed a hair dresser. My friend is a hairdresser and has done my hair before, so I went with her obviously.

As for makeup, I'm pretty good on my own and thought about doing my own too. My mom however made a point that I would be too stressed/excited to be able to do it myself so I went with a professional. I didn't want to "make" on of my bridesmaids do it (2 of them are really good at makeup) so I figured it was easier to hire it out.

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was thinking of getting my auntie to do my make up. I don't usually wear any make up and she is really good at it. I haven't really figured what I'm going to do with my hair yet but I'll probably just get my friends to help.
  • Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My sister (MH) has hair down to her butt too, so I’m thinking hiring a hairstylist is might be a better option for us, and my sister is an esthetician and is really good with makeup. SO I think if I’m going to invest at least a hairstylist is important.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah understandable! I have fun playing with my makeup, I’m an artist so I love playing with my makeup and contouring. My hair is my greater concern I think, I never do my hair, but I want it simple anyway. I gotta shop around, the girl in town is great but does mostly big Dolly Parton up-dos.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Beautiful! I have definitely considered it, but now that we’re going for a venue that is a little more expensive that previously planned I’m trying to see if I can let it slide. They take care of everything on the day of, which is why we decided to pick them. So I’ll be able to just worry about getting myself ready.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh great to hear I’m not alone! I love that idea of going to sephora and getting a consultation, what a dream idea, I have a lot fo makeup already and it’s good quality stuff so my skin is pretty good because I’ve made the switch to better products a year ago. They may have tips for me, my sister (MH) loves sephora, I’ll have her set it up for us all lol

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I do not wear a ton of makeup to begin with ( usually only mascara, now I get them tinted) so this whole contouring etc is foreign to me. Any help I can get when it comes to makeup I take it lol.

y hair is also down to my butt, I have no problem doing it if I wanted something simple, but for the big day it makes my life so much easier to have someone do hair and makeup! Less stress for me
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I truly could do my own hair and makeup, so could most of my bridesmaids but having someone to be in charge of it the day of just takes so much stress off my plate! I sent my artist samples of what we wanted and she got it perfect!!! So glad I hired her and SOOOOO glad i did a trial!

diy Hair & Makeup? 1
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ll be doing my own hair and makeup as well.
    In the last year I’ve stopped wearing makeup to focus on skin care, so I’ll make an appointment at Sephora to get a consultation and some products that will help me create a fresh natural look for my big day.

My hair is locked, I’m sure there are no lockticians in Victoria, BC, so the week before the wedding I’ll go to my locktician and get it washed and twisted, and then figure out an updo closer to the day of.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics