Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Beginner August 2021 New Brunswick

Diy cake

Stephanie, on January 2, 2020 at 08:18 Posted in DIY 0 33
I feel like this is an awful idea when I think about the week before. I'm making my own decoration and hiering someone for the backdrop and hanging fabric, I'm doing my bouquets and all the flowers in the ceremony space and reception as well as the center peices (dad is doing them, the welcome sign and the seating chart sign) ...

So now the cake , I can't justify spending that much money 800-1000 on cake , not everyone eats it. Dessert from the venue Is 1000 ...

If I make my own is this too much?

33 Comments

Latest activity by Celine, on August 27, 2020 at 17:00
  • Celine
    Frequent user October 2022 Quebec
    Celine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just got engaged last month. We are only planning to get married in 2022 due to COVID so I plan on doing a lot of DIY for my wedding, including the cake. I make custom cakes as a sideline and know which ones would freeze well (plastic wrap, foil and then a plastic bag) for a few weeks. I plan to make the sugar flowers 2 months in advance and put them in a cardboard box for safekeeping, it's not as if anyone will eat them anyways. I plan to have a top tier to save for our first year wedding anniversary, a tier to cut and probably a fake tier or 2 since we only plan to have 60 guests.

• Eden
    Frequent user August 2021 British Columbia
    Eden ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do you have any friends or family who would be willing to make the cake? My aunt and cousin are making my cake for me. I think it would be too much stress to add on top of your already full schedule. What if something unexpected happens close to the date and eats up a lot of your time? You don't want to have to worry about doing so much on your own. You could always pick up a nice grocery store cake too, or even cupcakes!
  • Haylee
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Haylee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had the thought of doing my own cake for my covid wedding, but my mom convinced me otherwise. We have a family friend who does cakes for a living and she's making me a gorgeous one I found on pinterest for $175! If you have connections, or can make connections, I'd suggest going that route. I'm highly satisfied with my choice to let someone else take charge of the cake and I don't have to worry about a thing. Plus, I'll still get the wedding cake I always wanted!

• Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I will make it if it's anymore than 250-300, it's not a priority of mine and I'd rather have more wine on the table or buy a bridesmaids dress than have a fancy dessert!

I love the doughnut idea though so fun!

• Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi thank you! I'm in NB so this wouldn't work. It's not a must have for me so I found a hobby baker to make cupcakes and sobeys will make a small cake.

All the best!

• Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I did try that! My friends were too afraid of messing it up! I found an affordable baker near me who is a friend of a friend so that should be good! Worst case I may get a sobeys small circle cake Smiley smile

• Sheena
    Curious August 2019 Ontario
    Sheena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is there someone you know who likes to bake? Your cake doesn't have to be tiered to cut into. We got a couple of family members to make cakes and had a cake buffet instead of one cake - it was a hit! We still did the cake cutting of one of them.

• Sadia
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Of course! www.flourconfections.com Smiley smile
  • S
    Frequent user March 2021 Ontario
    Stiffra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey! Do you mind providing me with the link to your cake supply store? Smiley smile

• Hrhofstx
    Beginner July 2020 Florida
    Hrhofstx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have you considered getting a cake from a bakery other than your vendor? That is what I am choosing to do now that I found a venue with food included in the package. Before finding the venue, I considered the pride and joy of making my own cake and even some food with my SIL to be. But then I considered the stress and wanting to just relax and enjoy the moments before the big day.
  • Sadia
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Diy cake 1 This was a wedding cake we made for a family friend of mine. All fake, covered in fondant with fresh flowers on it!
  • Sadia
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As a cake decorator myself, I would NOT suggest doing this. If you want to save costs, what I WOULD recommend is this:
    Order fake tiers. My cake supply store sells them for between $3-8 each. You can also buy fondant as well. I would cover the tiers (hypothetically speaking, if you do a tiered cake) with fondant since it’s easier to roll out and cover. You can hot glue the tiers on top of each other and stop by a fabric store and pick up some stone borders to hide the seam where you stack the tiers.
    You can also add fresh flowers to this, you just need to heat up a metal screwdriver and stick it through the foam and insert the flowers in. If I can figure out a way to attach a photo of one I’ve done I will! Note: it’s EASIER, not EASY! The reason why I’m recommending this is because you can actually get this done at least 2 months in advance if you have that much time. It seems like you’re doing a lot yourself, plus the added weight of being the actual bride can be super stressful. I get stressed when I decorate cakes regardless, so that’s what I would suggest.
    I’m making my own cake too, and we’re starting the “fake” tiers in May and my wedding is in July!
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do Not Do This.

Please. You're going to have to make it within the last day or two before your wedding, and as somebody who has done the wedding, was ZERO stressed in the planning, had all my ducks in a row/was super organized the whole way, let me tell you that the week before the wedding is CRAZY.

How many guests will you have? Do you have to go with the dessert the venue provides? Does it HAVE to be a cake? If you can get dessert from somewhere else, I would look at other options for sure.

We did fancy doughnuts from a local doughnut shop and it was around $500 for 120 guests.

• Kenna
    Curious September 2023 Nova Scotia
    Kenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One option is, especially if you just want a cutting cake, to redecorate a premade bakery cake. A cousin of mine got married this summer and did that with a cake from the grocery store! That way the work you'll need to do for the cake is significantly reduced and still cheaper than a bespoke wedding cake.
  • Candice
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I just ordered some moulds on amazon for the flowers Spent less but hoping it still does the trick.
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks I'll check it out. I found an affordable Baker for the cupcakes but I just wanted plane ones ish with two specific flavors. The cake cutting cake is still in the air but I'll definitely check out the flowers!
  • Candice
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are also finalizing the details from another province. We are lucky in Ontario until April, however we go out to Alberta and don’t get back until 1 week before the wedding. You can do your flowers using fondant and it keeps for a while. We are making ours in Alberta and bringing them back when we come home. I have attached an article that may help should you choose to go this way.
    https://www.mybluprint.com/article/you-can-make-sugar-flowers-weeks-ahead-of-time-and-keep-em-looking-fresh
  • Alexandria
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Alexandria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I also am planning on making my own cake. I will not do tiers, just simple, homemade-looking cakes of different types and flavours. I have so much time before the wedding that I think I can manage it and am sure my friends could help me. Two guests have also volunteered to bring cakes so there will be a selection! This is in addition to the dessert offered with our catering.
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you that's really good to know!!
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's awesome. You're cake ideas looks great. We're planning from another province so it's a little tricky to get much done. Luckily dad is helping me with all the wood work related things . I don't know how much time the flowers will take is my only concern.
  • Candice
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing pretty much the same thing... using Costco flowers to decorate and for bouquets.. making own centre pieces.. back drop.. signs and decor.. and making our own wedding cake.

Luckily my fiancé is amazingly helpful and we are doing pretty much everything together.
    For the cake, we are doing a 3 tier - 12”, 9”, and 7” and are considering doing a sheet cake with little icing for those who don’t like icing. We are also doing a very simple icing technique. Similar to the photo. We are making the flowers for the cake the week before so it will be very easy to put together once done. And if it’s too stressful and the flowers aren’t working out, I’m going to use real flowers to save the headache. Diy cake 2
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like the fake cake idea. Create a cake you would love. Then in the back of the kitchen serve a sheet or half a sheet cake. Very cost effective and you can create at the same time. I have heard of many people ordering a small or part real cake, then in the back have a sheet cake for service.

• Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So cool! Do you have a picture?
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im making a fake cake myself. no one ever eats the wedding cake it gets wasted and i dont want to be taking all that wedding cake home either. we dont eat too many sweets. plus we have so many desserts and pastries from the venue as well. its too much. i bought some foam tiers and fondant and i made a a draft cake and it was soo simple and easy!! i also only spent $30!!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had my Baba make a bread cake called a korovai

Diy cake 3

If you can I would have a cake for display or why not consider just a small cake from safeway Smiley tongue or a pie!! That would have been our top choice if we were doing the cake cutting ceremony - didn't have time though Smiley atonished

• Allison
    Curious June 2021 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love the idea of making your own cake in theory, by practially it seems like a lot to do right before your wedding!

Have you thought about doing tiers of cupcakes to look like a cake? Something like this: https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/823806956821055919/

The cupcakes will be WAY less expensive, and then you don't have to worry about the waste if not everyone eats one!

• Britt
    Frequent user July 2020 Alberta
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm also thinking of doing my own cake. I love baking & like you, not sure I can justify spending that much on a cake (although since starting decorating cakes for others I do see why they are so expensive). I'm also thinking of making my own flowers & decorations. So I am also worried about taking on too much, but I'm hoping to get the decorations done a month in advance
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Caitlyn, I would be worried about the extra stress. Unless you've baked many before you'll spend a lot of time and money on the practice, and you still might not be happy with it. And you can definitely save by using a sheet cake or store bought cupcakes instead of ones from a fancy bakery.
    Cake is next on our "I do to do list" and I'm hopeful that we can find a yummy one without breaking the bank.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My mom and I took some of the Wilton cake classes, while we are far from professionals we can do a small cutting cake. I have figured out what I want without too much fuss and bother I think. I want a 6" cake it'll have fondant (ew) and a glittery sparkle. I'll put a silver ribbon with a red ribbon over the bottom to hide any imperfections. I have a rhinestone "we do" pick and I may put a couple of my sola flowers on it. The design is super simple but it should look amazing. However, if my time is too crunched my mom will 100% take over and make sure the cutting cake is done for me. I'm going to get buntletinis from nothing bunt cakes. I think to get 7 dozen it'll be less than $200. If you do a cake yourself keep it simple. You can place real or fake flowers on it to dress it up.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Cupcakes actually freeze really well! I've never tried freezing frosted cupcakes though, so I can't recommend that. But freezing unfrosted cupcakes is as simple as wrapping each one separately in cling wrap and then aluminum foil and then storing them in an air tight container. They usually keep well enough for about 2 months from my own experience. So if you're really set on doing them yourself then this could be a good route for you Smiley smile
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! And wow that's a great deal! I come from a small town so there are two baker options. My friend who is a hobby baker said she's too worried she'd mess it up for me . We might ask the grocery store to see what they charge. I thought about making the cup cake part and paying someone to decorate but I wasn't sure how ever cup cakes freeze or keep.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wanted to do my own cake too since I bake a lot, so it's not like I wouldn't know what I was doing. But literally everyone talked me out of it, and I'm actually thankful that they did. I don't want to be under that kind pressure leading up to my wedding day. Plus I found a baker that I absolutely fell in love with and 8 dozen cupcakes plus a mini 6" cake will cost $300. For that price tag, the amount of pressure taken off my shoulders is worth it. We almost didn't even bother with the cake/cupcakes at all since the dessert provided by the caterer is to die for and is just part of the package, so no one would've missed the cake in the end I'm sure

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics