Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tiffany
Beginner September 2023 Ontario

Different Bridesmaid dresses?

Tiffany, on April 19, 2020 at 13:46 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 17

So I have a maid of honour and two bridesmaids. One of my bridesmaids has expressed concerns about the dress choice due to her size. My MOH and the other bridesmaid are both on the short side, the MOH being on the petite side of things. The bridesmaid with concerns asked that she have a dress that covers her shoulders. I want the ladies to be comfortable on the day of, so my question is this:

Would it be weird to have them all have different dresses? Keep in mind, if I go this route, I will stipulate that the dresses have to be the same length (preferably long), the same fabric, and the same colour.

She did say that ultimately she'll wear whatever I ask her to wear, but I don't want her to be upset or uncomfortable in what we end up going with. What are your thoughts, folks?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on May 18, 2020 at 15:43
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A lot of people have been doing mismatched dresses. but i mean do the girls know that the dress you pick will be tailored to them? like it will fit them no matter what size they are?

• Meghan
    Beginner May 2021 Quebec
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love mismatched dresses! With the same length, colour and fabric, you can't go wrong. It's super in style right now

• Haylee
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Haylee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

From the start, I decided to do mismatched long dresses. I think since they're paying, might as well let them get something they'll truly love and feel good wearing. I'm not sure about other places, but David's Bridal makes it SUPER easy to order dresses in the exact same colours, with a variety of styles. They will all be in a long dress in the colour quartz, which is a pretty mauve colour.

• Samantha
    Beginner February 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m planning on putting my girls in different dresses and a different tones of mauve and dusty pink. I feel like it’s the new thing to do. I know for myself all my girls have different body types and I also have two jrs so having different styles works best. I also love the idea of different colour tones that mix wel together. My MOH will stand out with possibly a bling beltDifferent Bridesmaid dresses? 1
    Different Bridesmaid dresses? 2

• Tiffany
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s great! Everyone looks great!
  • Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did mismatched dresses but with the same colour. My sister and sister-in-law even got their dresses in different countries, but it worked out great. They ordered dresses from the same designer in the same colour but in different fabrics.
    Different Bridesmaid dresses? 3

• Nicole
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely not weird! My four bridesmaids are all in a different style dress, but all the dresses are the same colour and length. It looks great all together, and everyone is happy because they were able to choose something that they liked and felt comfortable in! Smiley smile

• Marissa
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally prefer the look personally when the dresses are same length and color but different styles. I feel like I say this a lot lol but I'm doing the same thing! I have two bridesmaids and one moh. We're going to try to see if the moh can get a floral dress that is complimentary to the burgundy bridesmaid dresses - we're thinking something like this conceptDifferent Bridesmaid dresses? 4

• K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree that mismatched is perfectly normal nowadays. My girls and I also did David’s Bridal. We had a great experience. I chose a colour and length and then they selected the style that best suited them. That way everyone feels comfortable and confident as hell, but it’s still somewhat cohesive. I’ve also appreciated this approach when I’ve been a bridesmaid in the past. We all have different relationships with our bodies/aversions to certain styles of clothing. I, for instance, would feel super insecure in a strapless dress, purely because of my own body issues. But other bridesmaids in wedding parties I’ve been a part of are all about that look. This way everyone wins.
  • Naomi
    Frequent user June 2021 Ontario
    Naomi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely not weird it’s actually very common to have different dresses with the same colour I think as everyone is comfortable then it will be great everything doesn’t have to be uniform. Different Bridesmaid dresses? 5

• Tiffany
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for your feedback! I appreciate it! Smiley smile

• Rebecca
    Curious November 2020 Bahamas
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I let my girls pick their style of dress but they had to be the same colour. Ironically, they picked the same waist line just different straps. I wanted them to be comfortable in their dresses. I went to David’s bridal for my dresses because they guarantee that the dresses will be the same colour and also have a good selection for a decent price.
  • Tiffany
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! David's Bridal is one of the places I will likely be checking once I get to that stage and we aren't all trapped in quarantine. Smiley laugh

• Tiffany
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! That's sort of what I was thinking too. It's just nice to know I'm not the only one thinking along these lines. Smiley laugh

• Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A lot of bridal shops, where you can get bridesmaids dresses, carry them on different styles. For my sisters wedding we all wore a short teal coloured dress but very different styles. It looked great in pictures! Easiest place to find something is David’s bridal probably, but there are a ton of other website where you can find dresses of the same colour and fabric.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I personally love mismatched bridesmaid dresses. You can always tell in pictures when someone is not comfortable in what they are wearing. Since everyone has different body types I think it's important that the people you love are happy and confident and looking their best with you.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I actually love the mismatched style look for bridesmaids! Plus it gives them a chance to show off their own personality while still keeping with your colour choice, and by giving them the freedom to choose a style it'll make sure that they're at their most comfortable on your day so they can focus on whatever duties they have without feeling self-conscious. Picture is just to show you that it can still look beautiful 🙂Different Bridesmaid dresses? 6

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics