Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emilie
Featured Quebec

Did you ever do long distance?

Emilie, on November 28, 2016 at 07:04 Posted in Before the wedding 0 21

Hey you! Smiley smile

Your love movie is probably full of adventures where you managed to always make it through together Smiley heart

Did you ever do long distance?

Continue your story >> When did you decide to become a couple?

Image: Giphy, Going the distance

21 Comments

Latest activity by Melanie, on December 26, 2016 at 09:57
  • Melanie
    Curious September 2017 Ontario
    Melanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did 2 years of Oakville to Peterborough (I was in school) which is about 1.5 hours drive. Then I moved only an hour away and after a few months of that, he left the nest and came to live with me Smiley laugh

• Amanda
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No we did not!

• Brenda
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Brenda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did distance in the beginning but are together now. He works in Nunavut so it's a distance still lol. 2 wks in 2 out but definitely miss each other loads.
  • C
    Curious January 2017 Alberta
    Charlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In a previous relationship, he worked in Africa, so that was the longest distance I've had to deal with
  • Lindsay
    Curious December 2016 Ontario
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When we met we lived in the same city, but almost 10 years later I decided to go back to school and so I lived back with my parents through the week and go back to our home on weekends. It has been tough but we got through it together, and now I'm a week away from finishing and moving back in to our home permanently.
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Awww! That's sweet Brenda, how far away from each other do you live? Will you move in together after the wedding? Smiley heart

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Dionne, that must have been quite difficult, I can't imagine! Smiley surprise You should check out this discussion by Melissa in the community: We all kiss a few frogs.... We all come up with a few bad experiences, but luckily we found the right person in the end! I'm sure it made your proposal even more meaningful!! Smiley love How was it like?

• Rory
    Frequent user August 2017 British Columbia
    Rory ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In previous relationships i did Toronto to Alberta , but with lee i lived downtown Toronto and he lived near Lindsay Ontario and would drive to see me every weekend, eventually we decided to move into together at his place becasue i wanted a change of scenery anyway.

• Brenda
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Brenda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes we did and still do. Absence makes heart grow fonder. We were quite inseperable for a while but he works out of Province now and that's ok. We truly miss each other deeply and it's such a beautiful feeling when he returns. Smiley heart
  • Dionne
    Beginner May 2023 Ontario
    Dionne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My third relationship that I was in was a long distance relationship because he lived in Toronto and I was 4 hours away from him and for some reason we made it two full years before bad things that had happened within those two years came back up to the surfaces that man cheated on me with two of my bestfriends on separate occasion and the other occasion was right infront of me while I was sleeping in the bed next to them. After that relationship I made a vow to never do that again to myself and hurt myself as much as that hurt me
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My first few relationships were cross country relationships but luckily my husband and I have never had to be long distance! I'm glad though that I do have experience so if we ever had to do long distance for our jobs or something, I know how to make it work!

• Cheryl
    Expert December 2017 British Columbia
    Cheryl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We live about an hour away, not technically long distance but it feels like forever away some days!
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No long distance with FH but I have had relationships with people who where 1-4 hours away in the past. If the relationship is right you make it work and if it isn't distance won't be the problem. We were going through work force adjustment when I met FH so I had to tell him I might be moving 6 hours away (that is where my position was going) only a month into our relationship. He told me where ever I went he would go, if I was going to Nunavut to just let him know and he would buy a good parka. Definitely a keeper even though I resisted for a while Smiley smile

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow! That is definitely long distance

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I dated a guy once who lived in Windsor and I lived in Oshawa at the time. We only lasted about 3 months but we remained friends!!! Long distance was very hard!
    With my FH he joined the army in January 2015 and I was in Peterborough and he was somewhere in Quebec and I only saw him 3 times total in a 5 month period... It was hard and it was a big transition because the income was different, I had to change all of our budgeting around, do grocery shopping on my own, anything to do with the car was my responsibility and he is the one to deal with the car! It was hard but after his basic training he realized he didn't want to get stationed out in Nova Scotia or any other place on the list because that wasn't what he wanted for our relationship and it wasn't stable for when we decided to have a family!

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

One ending always begins another Smiley smile and it is great you found your FH! Look how happy you are!

That is a crazy lifestyle to lead though!

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He worked for the airline back then so one of us was always travelling every few months. But I'm glad it ended. It paved the way for meeting my FH and being as happy as I could ever imagine!
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have never done long distance but I did come close. I always felt my FH would be here in the same city I live in.
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were long distance for about 2 years..maybe more, it was a couple of years ago so the dates are foggy. But Out of college we both got good job offers that were 4hours apart, plus my job was 80-90% travel in Canada and the US, so I was not around much.

We used a lot of skype, put a lot of miles on our cars and once when I was homesick FH even paid a small fortune to overnight a package to me in BC with one of his hoodies, a mug and my favourite tea and some chocolate....Smiley love Makes me happy all over again to remember that

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is a BIG distance! I thought my 4 hour distance was tough Smiley winking

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes! In a previous relationship. 6 years of travel between Canada and Lisbon!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics