Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Did you and your partner talk about getting married before you were engaged?

Joey, on August 30, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Before the wedding 0 25

Did you and your partner have "the talk” about your relationship before you got engaged? How long before the proposal did you and your fiancé(e) start talking about marriage?

Were you making plans and talking about a specific timeline? Did you ring shop together before you were engaged? Or did the proposal come without any pre-engagement conversations?

Did you and your partner talk about getting married before you were engaged? 1

Photo by Finlay Burrage in Delta BC

25 Comments

Latest activity by Janaya, on September 9, 2018 at 16:44
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My Fiance and I have always been really open and honest since day one, so we talked about getting married quite often after about 2 months of dating and what we wanted that to look like, and how we wanted to raise kids someday and all of that fun stuff. we've been together just over a year now, and we've always talked about getting married someday - I actually started wedding planning about a month before he proposed. We went ring shopping together and picked one that I loved - which most people say you shouldn't know what your ring looks like before he pops the question, but for us we are very like minded and wanted to stick within a budget and shop together so we can find something I really liked within our limit - it was so much fun! I had no idea when he would propose so that was a huge surprise even though I knew he had already bought the ring.

i'm really happy with how we did things. it made everything so fun

• Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My Fiance and I met online. On our first date, I told him my intention was looking for a relationship which eventually would lead to marriage. I wanted to make it clear from the beginning and didn't want to going into a relationship hopping for the best that it would turn out as what I wished for.

He proposed to me 5 months from the date we first met. But we were officially engaged another 2 months later when he suggested we flew half the world away for him to meet my parents in person to ask for my hands.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We moved in together 3.5 years into our relationship and when we did, I told my FH that this means we'd have to get married one day. Years later we'd bring it up and it was a general understanding that we would eventually get married but without a definite timeline for it.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had been talking about it since about the 6/7 month mark. We were both serious about it so we wanted to be on the same page, and we both wanted the same things. We moved in together just before the two year mark because we didn’t want to get engaged without having lived together. I kept making jokes that he should propose by the end of 2017 but we hit a rough patch financially so I figured he wouldn’t be able to get the ring yet which didn’t bother me. Turns out he’d already gotten it! So we got engaged on Nov 16th that year. The ring was perfect! I’d told him I wanted something Sapphire and he nailed it with the shape and design!
  • Shelby
    Curious August 2019 Alberta
    Shelby ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The first 3 years of our relationship it was obvious he was scared. He never wanted to talk about a future, always just shrugged it off and pretended to not care. Until I pretty much just didn't. Then one day we decided to go separate ways, it only lasted a few months but within that time I had moved 8 hrs away.

He ended up texting me more and more and calling me. One night he was drunk and confessed he was a big dumby and begged me to have kids and get married. So I took it with a light heart because he was drunk. He ended up moving 8 hrs north to be with me, leaving everything he knew behind. And continued to want the same things. He's been up north with me now for nearly 2 years. We talked about it more and more until this year when he finally popped the question. He was so friggin excited he told me he bought the ring and hid it in the house. I tell you, that was extremely difficult not to turn the entire house upside down looking for the thing everytime he went to work and I had the day off. Hahaha
  • Sarah
    Frequent user December 2018 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Me and my fiance knew each other before we started dating so it wasn't too far into relationship that we started to really think about marriage and it was always an easy topic now we're just over a hundred days away from our date.

We met each other when we were 13. Had a crazy crush on each other. 13 years later we are getting married.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We talked about getting married and what relationship issues we were working to make our issues better. Getting on the same page took a long time, yet we got there. One day fianlly i hear he is ready to get married and be one taking my family name. It happened and so did the planning. 18 months before August 2017.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Started talking about marriage after a while of dating! Growing more and more serious! We never went ring shopping but I had sent him a few images of rings I liked (he got a different one but NAILED IT) so yeah for sure talked about it before hand!! We also wont live together until marriage so the whole living together has been in talks for a long time too! I can't wait to fall asleep in his arms every night~ until we kick each other away for being too warm ahahhah!!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ahahahaha... Um... yeah. I went to MULTIPLE wedding shows, bought bridal magazines, talked about weddings... And not just me, him too. Already picking out his groomsmen, talking about what cake flavours he'd want, etc... We even went with my dad last year while we were in Arizona to look at a wedding venue (in September)... and we weren't even engaged. We were together just over 5 years before he finally made it official.... but we'd been talking marriage and rings for about 3.5 years.

Between the 2 of us, most of our relationship for the past couple years one of us was in school, unemployed, just starting a new job, or something else going on... so he really tried hard to make it happen for this past Christmas.

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We knew very early on that we wanted to get married. We just absolutely knew that was our future. Conversations got to be really serious around 10 months into the relationship, where he was saying he just needed the money for a ring. 2 months after that we were engaged!!

• Petra
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Petra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We talked about marriage all the time, pretty early in the relationship. We both knew we weren’t just dating for fun but wanted to build a future together
  • Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It came up really early in our relationship because I was fresh out of a separation from my ex-husband, so it was important for me to set some ground rules about it.

We did decide that marriage was definitely in our future, we just didn't know when. almost 3 years later, he proposed. It was the right time!

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We talked about it. It came up early on in the relationship, we both wanted to make sure that we were just dating for fun and that we wanted to make a future with marriage and kids. Once we both realized we were in it for the full thing we decided to move in together. The talk about actually getting engaged was a few months before he did it. I knew he had the ring because it was his grandmothers after she passed away in March 2017, so we had talked about getting married a lot. Then June came around and .. 💍!
  • Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I met my FH shortly after a break up from a serious relationship. I told him from the beginning that I was only interested in a relationship leading up to marriage but I didn't want to rush things. I was a little concerned at first since he's 5 years younger so he is still pretty young to be getting married. However, after dating for 6 months, we decided that we're "the one" for each other and he proposed after 8 months of us dating. I didn't go ring shopping with him but he bought a ring that I really liked! We're both a little nervous about getting married but we're ready to give it a try!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We started talking marriage pretty early on in our relationship. We had originally planned on getting married last year, but I decided I wanted a bigger wedding, so we saved for another year! We actually had our venue booked before we were engaged!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We talked about a lot of things, pretty early in to our relationship (marriage, kids, travel, finances), as both were in (failed) long term relationships before and wanted to make sure we weren't wasting our time.

My FH proposed, I would say, about 1 year after we started talking more seriously about marriage.

We didn't shop together, but I definitely sent him pictures of what I liked and where to find them! He did not disappoint!

• Andrea
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had talked about marriage a bit throughout our relationship, but he only told me this past January that he was really ready for it. We went ring shopping in May and then he proposed this August Smiley heart
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well it's great to have you back Smiley smile Smiley heart

• Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Things are starting to settle down again for us so we are back to looking into things. Definitely nothing set in stone, though. Haha. I just missed you guys. ❤
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We for sure talked about marriage before getting engaged. We talked a lot about it at the 8 month mark and then I proposed 2 months later. When we would talk about it in October 2017 it was made clear that once we tie the knot there is no going back and that marriage is a forever thing for the two of us and the only way out is by means of death.

The timeline was talked about after he said yes and was decided that we wanted an Autumn wedding but to plan one the same year that we were planning on buying a house would be too hectic so we decided on October 2019.

For the ring - because I proposed with some bracelets that said "Her one" and "His only", my FH had me design my own ring so that I loved it as much as possible. He however, is designing the wedding bands.

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is the wedding back on? Smiley ring Smiley laugh

• Samantha
    Beginner September 2018 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We made it clear to each other that we were committing for life from the beginning, but his proposal came completely out of the blue. I thought the proposal wouldn't come until our 3rd anniversary - which is now our wedding day.

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We first mentioned marriage at the very start of our relationship, to be sure we were on the same boat before getting too much in. And we kept talking about it as an eventuality throughout the year. We both wanted to do it this summer, but we didn't talk about timelines before we got engaged.

While we didn't go ring shopping together, we did talk about rings early on, so he knew what I wanted.

• Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He did. A lot. I was freshly divorced. I never wanted to get married at all and here I am doing it again.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We talked about it for years! FH has been through a long and winded divorce. I’ve been by his side through the process. It’s so emotionally draining! And financially lol. The divorce should be concluded within the next 2 months. Whew!! And we were tired of waiting to get married. So we wanted to get married close to our 10 year anniversary. We set a date and went ring shopping. He proposed just before our 9 year anniversary.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics