Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alanna
Beginner August 2022 Ontario

Destination wedding travel insurance

Alanna, on July 30, 2020 at 09:04 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 5
Hello guys!

Our wedding is set for end of August 2021 in Italy. I am worried that by that time, covid might still be crashing the party and that us and my family won’t be able to travel there...
So, I am looking for suggestions regarding wedding insurance. It’s something I honestly never heard of people purchasing for weddings here at home. However, I think due to the situation it might be a good idea.
Does anyone know of wedding insurance that covers weddings in destinations? Particularly Italy. Do you think insurance will cover covid relation cancellations since it’s a known problem? We booked our venue in December last year before covid broke out... I think it’s still to early to tell if I should postpone it.
Am I freaking out about this too much?
Thanks Smiley smile
Also, please don’t suggest to have a wedding in Canada instead. We are a mixed couple and one side will have to travel regardless.

5 Comments

Latest activity by Alanna, on December 2, 2022 at 18:59
  • Alanna
    Beginner August 2022 Ontario
    Alanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Shaye, congratulations!

No, I never did end up getting insurance. Our wedding was planned for August 2021 and in February 2021 we postponed it to August 2022. At that point we only had a photographer and venue booked. Both moved dates for us without any penalties. The most important thing for you to do it make sure you ask about their cancellation/rebooking procedures and get it in writing. We had our wedding this summer and it went very well. We encountered no issues thankfully.
    On a separate note, I don’t know what your situation is but I found planning a wedding in Italy pretty difficult. If you have a language barrier I would highly suggest finding a good wedding planner who speaks English very well. I did it without a wedding planner and also used vendors that basically never seen an “American” wedding before. I had to really push them to adapt to some of my visions that are just considered normal over here. It did become stressful but it was all worth it in the end. Don’t be worried if it seems like they plan everything in the last 2 weeks. It’s just what they do. Good luck with everything!
  • S
    Newbie June 2024 Ontario
    Shaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi! Did you ever find insurance? I'm from Canada and planning to marry in Italy June 2024 but can't seem to find a company that covers insurance for Canadians in Italy? I heard you can get event insurance too but again not finding a company that offers that for Canadians having a wedding in Italy.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Amelia does have a good point of looking into two insurances that are separated.

https://www.travelers.com/event-insurance/wedding is a site to help with the information you may be asking about and what is covered under the travellers insurance. Its different

/travel-insurance/wedding-travel-insurance is another source I found that covers the same information and what is and isn't covered for protection wise of destination wedding. Check it out and hope it helps to know what to get and if you need to contact a traveller insurance company for your wedding day.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One thing to keep in mind, no insurance company will pay out for covid related claims as is now a known issue worldwide. But you should still get wedding and travel insurance to safeguard yourselves against other factors that can curtail your wedding and travel plans.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you'd want both wedding and travel insurance.

If you get to Italy and covid flares up it could be very expensive to get home and insurance could help with that. Or if you're exposed and need to pay to isolate or for a hospital stay that could be covered. I would speak to a travel insurance broker and ask a lot of covid based questions.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics