Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Newbie January 2025 Alberta

Destination Wedding - Requirment of rooms

Lindsay, on December 28, 2022 at 11:52 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 5
My partner and I are getting married in Mexico in an all inclusive resort. We haven’t chosen which one yet, but when I look at the fine print on a lot of these resorts’ wedding packages they often say that there is a minimum amount of nights needed to be booked by guests in order to be eligible for the wedding package price (e.g. if you have 75 guests staying in 40 rooms, a cumulative number of 75 nights must be booked for those 40 rooms). If you don’t meet that, then you have to pay for the wedding a la carte.

For anyone who has had a destination wedding and bought one of these wedding packages, did you have any issue with being able to meet this requirement? Or did you find that because it was a destination wedding, people were wanting to stay longer than a night or two to make it a holiday?
Thanks!

5 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 4, 2023 at 13:50
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A lot of destination weddings are happening in the family and they did go with the requirement rooms to ensure they will be filled and let all the guests know when the deposit is due by and the final payment in the next few months. We do 7 or 4 days considering not everyone will be attending the days before the functions.

You should accept the requirements for your guests to get the rates given at the discounted price than to pay the a la carte price which would be higher presumably.

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey fair enough. It makes total sense. In the new year I would start asking your local friends and family what is going on and see how they respond so that way you can get an idea of your number. If your number is smaller, I would check out other resorts that have different minimums. Some have 10 guests booked, some have 20, etc.

So maybe have a top 5 list with different minimums and send out a save the date pretty early so people can start saving for travel.

• L
    Newbie January 2025 Alberta
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh, yeah it’s not a question of IF we will have a destination wedding— we have to.

My fiancé is Mexican and most of his friends and family live in Mexico. We live in Canada, and it’s SUPER expensive here. If we were to have a wedding that’s local to US, sure, we’d save money, but our loved ones in Mexico would have to spend a lot more with a much lower salary in order to come here. Especially since each person would also have to apply for a travel visa in order to get here. A Canadian wedding just isn’t feasible for our family and friends.
  • Rebecca
    Expert October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve been a guest at a destination wedding, we ended up going for 10 days and made it our vacation that year as did a few of the other people
    Attending but it was a relatively small wedding, I would maybe be prepared to pay the extra just in case because as we have see. Over tne last couple years things change so rapidly
  • Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I almost booked a destination wedding in Mexico as well, we went around and asked a few people and our feedback was mixed.

Majority of family was all for it, they were wanting to take a vacation so they would be staying for the week. As for our friends, it was mixed. We are a pretty young couple and a lot of people could not afford it. Many people are also getting married around the same time we are so for those saving for their own wedding it was hard to ask those to spend **** for a wedding to attend.

My co-worker had a destination wedding and I think of the 80 they invited about 60 made it. But they are in a different tax bracket if you know what I mean, so they were able to pay for a few peoples trip as well.

So really, it depends how well your friends are off, how much notice you give, etc.

If you are thinking of it and I see your planning to get married in 2025, start asking around now to see what people will say.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics