Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alanna
Beginner August 2022 Ontario

Destination Wedding Guests

Alanna, on November 7, 2021 at 14:17 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
Hi everyone!
I’m getting married in Naples next august 1f91e_1f3fb.png (second date), and I’m expecting some family and friends to come.
I’d like opinions from the community, especially those who have hosted international family or those who have been to destination weddings, on how to host international guests.
What were the things that the couple did for you that you liked, or things you think they could have done to make things easier for you? For example, group hotel bookings vs go it alone, organized group activities, welcome baskets, group WhatsApp chats, day of wedding transportation, and so on…
I want to acknowledge that they came a far way for my wedding, but I also know it’s a vacation for people who also likely have their own plans. I will be occupied with wedding stuff at times, so I want to know where the middle ground is.
Thanks!

8 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on November 20, 2021 at 01:39
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Most shuttle arrangements usually offer multi-time departures. It's never just a single ride there and back.

I wouldn't get caught up in hosting someone in Naples. You should enjoy your vacation there as well instead of babysitter a bunch of adults. Presumably if they agree to go there, they will figure out what they want to do. Of course, you're more than welcome to host a dinner here and there with any of the folks attending the wedding but from an etiquette standpoint, you are by no means obligated to do so.

• Alanna
    Alanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Vinod,

Thanks for the help. I didn’t think to provide a day of wedding schedule to them. I think that might be a good idea especially since some guests will be involved in the wedding.
    I plan to use the website and I think chats and some group activities are a good idea as well!

• Alanna
    Alanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi hank,

Thanks for your message. You’re right about the taxi. I was going back and forth on transportation because I thought, what if people want to leave early? Or they are staying in other parts of the city? Our venue is 40 minutes outside the city and having them arrange a taxi to get there seems really tacky 🤣 doesn’t it?
    I should have also mentioned that we are getting married in my husbands home city so I would like to plan some more events if possible and we are able to host more since we know the city

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Destination weddings are a great way to have all your guests enjoy the full resort. You can put a welcome basket with information to share about events held in evenings to share time together as the day is when they do their thing with others or as a family. The wedding day schedule would be a good idea to give so everyone knows where to go and Dress code if anything they forgot to see on the invitation/website.

I will be going for a destination wedding next year for the first time and the website did include all the information of the events with timings. The parents of the bride also did create chats for all guests to enjoy proper age groups so they can see what is happening and to know where to go for the events once there. Its a great way to know what everyone is up to and chat too.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would do transportation if your venue is far from the hotel, or in a remote region. It just seems inhospitable if your guests are flying in and you're making them take a long cab ride to attend the wedding.

In terms of meeting up with the guests outside of the wedding, I think a dinner the night before would suffice. Your wedding is not in your hometown so there shouldn't be any expectation for you to host beyond the event.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Most of our guests are driving and only a handful of people are flying and are getting rental cars. Most of them are staying for a week. So we won't be doing transportation. You could totally do transportation for your guests if it's in your budget. It can add up though.

• Alanna
    Alanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your suggestion. Are you planning to have transportation for your guests to and from the ceremony? Or do you think that is something for them to organize?

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I are getting married in a different province then were we love and our entire guest list is traveling there for our wedding so you could technology call it a destination wedding.

For our guests we've gotten them 4 options for hotels (1 is a 5 star 2 are 4 star and 2 are 3 star) with a great discount for group rates. Of course they don't have to choose one that we selected but they have that option with a special rate.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics