Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Natasha
Newbie April 2019 Alberta

Destination Wedding

Natasha, on March 22, 2018 at 13:14 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14
Hello, is anyone planning or has planned a destination wedding? I could use some help with the planning process Smiley smile

14 Comments

Latest activity by Blair, on March 28, 2018 at 12:49
  • B
    Newbie November 2018 Alberta
    Blair ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I liked that it fit into the budget we set for guests to pay/ it was $1800; i had a freinsatrend a wedding there a few months ago for a wedding and raved about, and we have heard good things i general about the resort. But there so many places to choose from! Good luck!Smiley smile
  • Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Blair what about Now Sapphire was your choice? I’ve been looking at so many my head is spinning lol
  • Hannah
    Frequent user March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Hannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have been using Denise Hanuska from The Destination Experts. We are located in Dartmouth and has been very accommodating. She is based out of her house. I have heard home based TAs are better to book for weddings than someone from a store front because they can offer more time for you.

She has been amazing! I have been referring everyone I know to her.

If you start looking at resort now, most of them the majority of the pricing for their wedding packages online and a breakdown of what's included. Alot of places also offer a free wedding option.

We have booked Dreams Punta Cana for March 2019. The wedding package is 3500 for 20 guests. We have also upgraded alot of items and will probably be spending around 8-10 k, on the wedding package itself our flights (over March Break) are 2360. But because we are a smaller group we get less of a group rate.

One thing you will have to consider, is choosing where you are flying from. Our guests from Ontario have to fly to Halifax and then to Dominican. So they have an extra cost to incur.
  • B
    Blair ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Now Sapphire was my choice for that side if we went to that part of Mexico; Hard Rock in Cancun i heard does good weddings; Grand Bahia Principe Tulum and Coba were great resorts but not sure of their weddings; Ocean coral and turquesa is supposed to be good, i have friends going there in 2 weeks for a wedding.
  • Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Did you have any recommendations for the riviera maya side?
  • B
    Blair ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are getting married at Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos. The Hyatt Ziva in Puerto Vallarta and the one in Cabos were both highly recommended options but either no wedding availability or over the price range.
  • Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Blair which resort did you choose in Mexico?
  • T
    Beginner July 2019 Ontario
    TIANNA ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You can see wedding packages and the ask a travel agents to write you on the hotel
  • B
    Blair ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi
    Exciting! I just got engaged two weeks ago, and we have aleady chosen our resort and are just waiting on confirmation for the seats availability. We are getting married this November in Mexico. We started with a max budget to guide what our guests would pay and then I emailed several destination wedding planners and contacted one in Edmonton my cousin worked with. I had an idea of the location I wanted and looked on tripadvisor so i had more ideas. Then i spoke to one planner who made me aware of a few details i didnt know and provided me prices to resorts, and from that i had narrowed down my choice and then connected with the wedding coordinator here and in 4 days we basically have organized everything for the travel piece. She is amazing and i am relying on her to point me in the right direction. So far so good!! A lot of online destination wedding planners will give a free phone consultation and that helped me realize what my options were. Hope that helps!
  • Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    How did you choose a resort without having the pricing
  • Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What type of travel agent did you go with? I’ve been talking with a couple trying to decide on the best resort.... we’re thinking Mexico!

Our guest list is quite large but I guess that happens because I’m from here and my fiancé is from Nova Scotia lol

I kind of want pricing before I decide on a resort because the price will determine who can come or not
  • Hannah
    Hannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We get engaged in April 2017 and basically started planning right away. Originally, we didn't want a destination wedding - but I am SO happy that we have decided on this. We get engaged in Dominican; that is one reason why we decided to go down south. We will be getting married at Dreams Punta Cana Resort and Spa (solely because of they have the most beautiful gazebo - the entire wedding is be planned around this thing!) on March 20, 2019.

Initially, we had some hiccups with our travel agent(s). Our first travel agent was going to be on mat leave during the time of our wedding; others I was speaking to never seemed to get back to me - I assume this was because we were looking at dates that were closed to 2 years away. BUT as soon as we found our current travel agent, it was the most calming experience. I had one phone call with her and felt like ALL of my troubles/stresses were gone. My NUMBER ONE recommendation, is finding an agent that makes you feel like that!

In December (I think) we received our pricing of flights/packages; since then it has been smooth sailing! If you are looking for a date in 2019, I would say that you could start planning any time! And, if you are looking for a date after 2019, I would say that it isn't to early to start with the basics! Most importantly, researching travel agents and resorts. I would also suggest starting a draft of your guest list. The package we have is only for 20 people; if we have any more than that, we have to pay an additional charge. Definitely something to keep in mind when reviewing package options!

• Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    How are you finding that? When is your wedding? How far in advance did you start planning
  • Hannah
    Hannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am in the process of planning my wedding at Dreams Punta Cana Resort and Spa right now!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics