Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rebecca
Newbie June 2022 British Columbia

Deposit pressure

Rebecca, on August 27, 2021 at 18:06 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9
Hi all! I’m not sure if anyone else feels this way lately, I’m just a little nervous with what the next wave will bring and I’ve been having a hard time recently hearing of the BC Vaccine passports only because I don’t want to make anyone feel like they have to get it to go to my wedding but my wedding is in BC so..

Anyway we recently met with the first photographer we spoke to- went for a meeting, he said he had a special deal to explain to us, we went on august 17th, we went back and forth about a few questions I had and I said I needed time to decide. I then contacted him and said hey yes I’m interested can you send me a contract, he sent the contract -I asked some more questions since it wasn’t clear to me what would happen if we needed to reschedule, he said don’t worry about the wording just read my reviews and that he would reschedule once for free (the contract says within a year for free) anyway. I still said okay then sure let’s do it, I can send the deposit on September 15th as that’s the easiest date for us and id feel more comfortable knowing hopefully more info about the vaccine passports and the case counts over the next 2 weeks but I said if someone else tried to book then to let me know and we would send the deposit , and that right now I’d like to wait until September 15th. The response I got was somewhat rude in a way that made me feel like I’ve done something wrong? Maybe I have ? I just don’t see the problem in him waiting until the 15th especially given he requires 50% of his fee upfront… now he’s making me feel like he’s extending his offer to me and that he could turn around and increase his fees if he wanted (he asked me if I think that’s fair). Just feeling bleh about the whole thing.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Alyx, on September 9, 2021 at 14:17
  • A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes!!! I feel this. My fiancé is very nervous about sending our deposit money to all our vendors. We need to pay the florist, DJ , makeup, photography. Wedding is September 30th 2022.
    They have been emailing me non stop asking for the deposit but with these new restrictions my fiancé wants to wait and see what happens because we could loose all our money. But the vendors are saying they won’t hold our spot. Which I guess is understandable they need to make money.
    I feel like there is no information for us, no guidelines. We are having to wing this!! Keeps me up all night. So no don’t feel bad or like you did something wrong. This is uncertain times for all of us and the vendors out of everyone should understand that!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The pressure shouldn't be as hard on you to make the timing of payment if you feel your uncomfortable with wanting to wait for some time. I know I did that a florist and got the answer that the day was booked. As to your part of going about the legal aspects, the deposit is required to hold the date and they ask for the earliest so they can have your booking done. The way you were responded about not to have concerns of the wording of contract shouldn't have been said as it is important if anything did happen. The second way of getting back to you about the payment shouldn't have been done rudely as he should have waited and known you do want time to make the right decision. I would disregard his services and look around to get better vendors that are more understanding and rather answer questions that are concerning to you about the contract. I had vendors that knew I would have them for their services and they were great to hold my date for the time and not book anyone else in the meantime. I hope you find someone that is better than this individual.
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much! I’m continuing my search knowing now that that can happen. Great advice !
  • Leah
    Curious April 2022 Ontario
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Rebecca! The only thing I can think of is that the discounted price was a “book today to get this great rate” kind of sale. I’ve seen some vendors do that and that’s understandable. The wishy washy response to your questions would be concerning to me, it might be worth while looking for another photographer. I would be upfront with your desire to book later in Sept with them so they know straight away what your schedule is. Hope this helps!
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's all a learning process Smiley smile And I wouldn't say you've wasted his time. It's totally normal to interview several vendors before committing and making a decision. He's probably just a bit irked because he thought you were going to book him right then and there.

Honestly him not explaining the contract to you after you asked him to clarify and saying you don't need to read it is a bit of a red flag to me. Be careful!

• Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I understand that! I just think that I should be allowed to take that risk that’s all. Lesson learned !
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Any booking will require a deposit if you want them to guarantee service for your day. If you can't commit to giving up funds due to uncertainty, which is reasonable, then you risk the vendors you want not being available for your day.

• Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your response! I understand his position too I just feel a bit thrown off and feel bad for wasting his time if I did- I totally would have set something up for a later date I just didn’t understand the process I guess! Learning!
    But yeah for sure the contract should say what he’s willing to do not just relying on a message saying something else - thanks for your feedback Smiley smile
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The entire purpose of a deposit is so the vendor can ensure they have work on any given day. If you won't commit to the date then he has to continue interviewing with people for a potential job on that day. Emailing back and forth and meeting with people is work and it's time consuming for vendors. It's unreasonable to say to someone that they have to give you preference over another couple later on if you won't commit to them with a deposit and you're putting them in a position where they have to keep looking for another potential client.

If you don't want to give him anything until the 15th then that's totally fine, but you have to deal with the risk that he may be booked by someone else and the same deal may not be offered.

But it is very shady that he's saying don't bother reading the wording of the contract - read all of your contracts more than once and make sure you understand them. If you don't, have a lawyer review them or someone you trust who has more legal knowledge.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics