Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

Delaying our Honeymoon

Stephanie, on January 30, 2018 at 12:33 Posted in Honeymoon 0 29

We have officially decided to delay our honeymoon. I have mixed feelings. I was looking forward to the surprise (fiance wasn't going to tell me where we were going). But, it is a huge financial relief (we have had a lot of unexpected expenses lately!) And, my passport is expired so now I can just renew it with my married name and not have to worry about that.

Instead of going to a tropical location, we will most likely be going to the mountains (Jasper, Banff). Stay in a hotel a few nights and camp the rest. We're still going away for 10 days (our plan for the honeymoon).

It's a relief having made the decision, but sad because I was looking forward to going away! (We live 4 hours from Jasper.)

29 Comments

Latest activity by Lynnie, on February 13, 2018 at 09:46
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Tough decision but I think it will be a good one! You’ll still get some time away together but can save up money and time off for a later longer honeymoon!

Honestly we kind of felt bad for “wasting” the first two days of our honeymoon. We were SO tired and so just talked-out that we did a lot of lounging around not talking and just vegging out to recuperate!
  • C
    Frequent user November 2017 Ontario
    Chris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a delayed honeymoon too as my husband could not get time off work. He even had to work till midnight the day before as his boss would not even give him time off even though his mother flew 12 hours to be here for the wedding and our families wanted a quiet dinner together. So since I took time off before the wedding and a week after the wedding.....he is really in need of rest and relaxation but he is anxious to ask for time off. We are planning on going on our honeymoon at Easter 4 months after our wedding. The only reason is it is Easter so we can ask for time off for "Easter". We have lots of unexpected expenses too and we paid for everything ourselves so with all the money we incurred we are using the points towards travel.

I know how you feel, honeymoons are supposed to feel special we have not booked our trip yet due to work and health set backs but I am sure whenever you go and wherever you go it will be special .

• Surina
    Frequent user March 2018 Ontario
    Surina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not taking a honeymoon right away either. we are getting married on a Friday evening and will take a weekend in a hotel just to relax

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decided to break up the expenses of the honeymoon from the wedding a bit by going on our honeymoon 6 months later. We are planning to do an all inclusive somewhere or tour Ireland.

Since we have agreed to this I am doing a destination bachelorette!

• Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly! That Canada life. Winter is very sporadic. I think anytime you go, when you finally go it will be wonderful. And hopefully your FH will still include elements of surprise for you.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The same feeling here and thought about how expensive ot would be as the wedding. We haven't gone yet since last August. We will go Niagara Falls for a full weekend.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

While it's disappointing, it sounds like you've made the right decision. Because I'm a teacher, I can only go on select times, so while I'm getting married in March, we won't be going on the honeymoon until the summer. It's nice to know that we'll have a little extra time to save and that we can really enjoy the honeymoon without feeling guilty or strapped for time.

• Laura
    Frequent user October 2018 British Columbia
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're delaying our honeymoon as well. We have a lot of out of country friends coming in so we're doing a mini trip to Whistler right afterwards but are otherwise going to wait until 2019 to go so that we can save and spread things out for time off from work etc.

I'm sure your honeymoon will still be amazing even with the delay and possible change in location.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's my thought as well. Unfortunately my husband starts a new job in a few weeks and I don't know if that will change anything.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think a lot of people end up delaying a little bit. We're delaying from July until September because we didn't want to go away when it was finally nice weather in Canada!

The banff thing sounds lovely!

You guys could always do a 1 year anniversary 'honeymoon'

• Elycia
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Elycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're getting married June 10 the and are planning our honeymoon for November so it's not a mound of stuff all at once
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We've been to both, although not together. Fiance always jokes that Banff will break us up (because two of our couple friends broke up after a weekend getaway there!) so it's kind of funny that now he wants to go!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I sometimes feel like I wish we had waited as well because of the same reason. We get married on June 9th and leave the 30th for our honeymoon. I originally wanted to go away when it was cold and snowy here but ended up booking for a few weeks after the wedding because of how my schedule worked out at my job. No matter when you guys go, even if it is delayed, it will still be wonderful!

• Samantha
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That sounds like a great honeymoon! We are debating waiting a bit for our honeymoon as well, but mostly because we aren’t sure if we can afford it right away on top of the wedding. I have to figure out more of the costs to see if we can! I would prefer going right away, but I’ll take what I can get
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That sounds like a lovely honeeymoon! Have you spent time in Jasper/Banff before?? We really wanted to hike the Jasper skyline trail last summer but didnt book soon enough to get a spot.

We are having a delayed honeymoon... Wedding in July and we fly out in September. Work wouldnt give me the time off over summer because its our busy season and i asked for 2 months off... But im pretty excited now that we will be travelling sept/oct! Looks like its a decent time of year for Scotland Smiley smile
    and like some of the other ladies have said... Gives you something to look forward to for a bit after the wedding!
  • Kryzia
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Kryzia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're delaying our honeymoon as well! I have a lot of family coming in for the wedding, so my fiancee has graciously agreed to spend some time with them after the wedding. At least you have something to look forward to for a longer period of time! Smiley smile

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My dream destination is Tahiti! But, even with the extra time to save up, I doubt we'll be able to afford it! My fiance was planning the honeymoon and was going to surprise me, so hopefully he will still do that even though we're going away later.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well, I wasn't stressed over it because my fiance was planning the whole thing! So, I was looking forward to the surprise. Smiley smile But, I can still make him plan it when we do end up going!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

True, getting away from winter would be smart! I am using all my vacation for wedding and what was supposed to be the honeymoon, so we won't be able to go away now until at least March 2019. But, that's still winter out here!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's true. And if I go through wedding withdrawal, I'll have something else to look forward to!

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Tough choice but totally understandable. Hopefully after the wedding you can reevaluate and pick somewhere great. We’re going away for a few short days right after the wedding but waiting till 2019 to take a longer trip to Europe.
  • Sidni
    Frequent user July 2018 Saskatchewan
    Sidni ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing the same thing! I do not have a passport either so our plan is to stay in Canada after the wedding and then go on a hot holiday in the winter so that I can get my passport with my new name. We are thinking of going to Toronto to see some Jays games and tour around the city. I think it will be awesome, still a trip to celebrate with and the best of both worlds!
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Stephanie, I do understand your disappointment, but the important thing is that you don’t have to stress over one more thing Smiley smile

we are also having our honeymoon in winter 2019 and are getting married in July, but this is the most convenient time for the both of us.?
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re getting married in October. We’re going to one of our favourite ins in Niagara on the Lake for a couple nights after the wedding and are planning our honeymoon during winter 2019! Extra time to save and a good time to get out of the cold LOL.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Going right after the wedding would be too stressful for me, I heard when some ppl de-stress after the wedding some get sick as their bodies are starting to relax. I wouldn't mind pushing my honeymoon further back than it already is but FH wants to go sooner than later. So getting married Sept and honeymoon Nov 12-26 (14 days).

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got married in September and are going on our honeymoon in March. I think it is nice to wait as you can deal with all the expenses of the wedding and then get excited again about the honeymoon.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're getting married in September and wanted to go away for about 10 days during the Winter. Unfortunately, my job has travel restrictions from January to mid-May where I can't take more than 5 business days off.

For this reason, we'll do a 1-week honeymoon somewhere warm (Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama or an all-inclusive) and save up/plan for a 10-day trip for our 1-year anniversary in Santorini.

• Courtney
    Beginner July 2019 British Columbia
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are also planning on taking a small weekend getaway then an actual honeymoon at a later time. Our dream destination is Thailand, but July isn't the best time for us to go, so we are thinking about postponing until November-January. It seems weird to have the big hullabaloo then just go back to work on Monday, but I guess it's pretty normal these days!

Weddings/ honeymoons are so expensive!

• Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are waiting a couple months before going on ours. It's just better timing for travelling for our jobs. Plus gives us a little more time to save up some more money for it. Our plan is Europe.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics