Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Beginner April 2018 Ontario

Dealing with work before/after wedding.

Stephanie, on March 6, 2018 at 23:10 Posted in Before the wedding 0 6
Hey! Thanks for reading this.
A little background before I dive in. I care about my job, I enjoy what I do, and I enjoy it more when everything goes right. (I'm a meeting planner). Two days before my wedding we have a number of meetings for clients I've worked a lot with. I want to see that they go right, but I also know I need time before the wedding to organise and prep for the big day.

I've been granted the day off work but feel uneasy about letting them run with out me. I'm stuck with telling my boss that I need the day for the wedding please just deal with them for me, but and run the risk of me thinking about how they turned out during my wedding. OR ill come in on my day off and run it but possibly impacting my wedding prep and my time enjoying the special moments. Shoot off thoughts below for either side. I need outside eyes on this one. Thanks -S

6 Comments

Latest activity by Breanne, on March 8, 2018 at 15:21
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, I'd probably work it (I'm only planning to take the one day before off) but I'm a bit of a control freak at work and I totally get where you are coming from when you say you'd be thinking about it.

What would you be doing that day if you took it off? If it's things that can be done either on the weekend before, Wednesday night after work or on the Friday - I would say work it because if you take it off just to do a few piddly things, you'll definitely be thinking about work and wondering how it's going. I'm the same way. If you have a whole lot of things to do that can't be done in advance or in the one day before, take it off because you won't have time to worry about the office. Also, is there a way to work a half day and work with the morning meetings and leave the afternoon to someone else so you can escape?

Another idea is ask your wedding party - do they have anything planned for you the two days before? I would ask because if they do, then your answer is easy, take the day off to spend with them.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So I took a few days off before and after my wedding but that is because I needed to organize everything to travel to and from the wedding which was 3 hours from home.

I think you can work basically up until your wedding if you prepare ahead of time. At the most I think you could take a half day off but that is just me. If everything is in order you won't have much to do before the wedding.

You also will not be thinking about work at all during your wedding.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm a bit on the other side on this one.

I'm only taking the day before my wedding off and working right up to it. My goal is to have everything organized a month out before the wedding so I have very minimal things to do right before the wedding. My week of list is: Pick up lemons, pick up lemonade, get my nails done, get my eyebrows done. All easy to do in one morning.

I'd probably work it to be honest.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel you, girl. I'm a nurse and work on a unit where I don't have the most reliable staff and it's really hard for me to be able to take days off and be at ease about it. You have to remember that you'll want that time to chill before the big day. I'm taking off nearly a week before our wedding to be able to hang out with family as they come in and relax.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your work will be fine without you. Take the time off to prepare for or relax before your wedding. It will be really busy and really exciting you won’t miss work!

If you’re really concerned, you could let your clients know that you wish you could be there but you have arranged everything and will entrust it to your coworker and catch them at the next meeting.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Trust me on your wedding day work will be the last thing you're thinking about. You'll be so involved in your big day so I think you have nothing to worry about. Also don't work on your off days close to the wedding. I understand, I absolutely love what I do and hate taking time off but it's the one day that is just about you and your fiance and that's all you want to remember of this time. Don't stress about this because it'll all work out on the end!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics