Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner August 2022 Ontario

Day of coordinator? Worth it? Or not?

Cassandra, on November 23, 2021 at 04:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18
Hey everyone! Getting married August 27, 2022 at a private venue (the Legion).

I'm on the fence about having a day of coordinator. I met one recently at a wedding show and loved hearing all the little details she takes care of on the big day.
I love the idea of having one because peace of mind knowing everything is running smooth and I dont have to worry about it, is ideal! But of course , it's another expense.So past or current brides. Is a day of coordinator worth it?! I would love to hear your experience!

18 Comments

Latest activity by Christine, on December 13, 2021 at 15:44
  • Christine
    Curious April 2022 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Having a DOC was literally one of the first things I budgeted for. Seriously LOL. I may be biased as I have a background in stage management and have planned many, many events for work, but it is so worth it (to me) to hand off my plan and say "do this" and then get to enjoy my wedding day. I'm getting married in less than 5 months and I'm so looking forward to having someone not family or friend-related, who can be completely objective in getting the job done. The fact that they know or have worked with many of my vendors is also a blessing. No matter how carefully planned an event is, something can and will go wrong, and I don't want to spend my wedding day having to trouble-shoot anything.
  • Megan
    Frequent user July 2023 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours is included with our venue so obviously a no brainer. But I don't know what kind of cost you would be looking at. All I know is makes me feel much more calm knowing anything that goes wrong, keeping the flow of the day going and all of those little details will be looked after and I can just enjoy the day. We will have a chance closer to the wedding to talk to our coordinators and tell them what we want and I trust they can make sure everything goes the way I want it (and I'm very particular). I would say unless it's astronomical and is going to cause you a lot of financial stress, go for it.

• Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Cassandra! 👋🏾 🎉
    A Day of Coordinator is so worth it!!
    Because of how expensive it was, we were not too sure. But we had a family friend that did it for us. She just turned 22, but she has been planning her dream wedding 😂😂 she loves everything wedding. We thought about it last minute but she did AMAZING!!!!!!!! I think if you know someone that loves planning or would take up the task without paying too much. Wishing you all the best in your planning!
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Absolutely not. My friend coordinated my wedding. That's it. And was fantastic. The hired "professional" was someone else entirely. I was just saying to get references because even "professionals" may not be.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So she (the coordinator for your friend's wedding) was hired professionally but ended up hooking up with a member of the family? If so, yikes!

• C
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sorry, not sure if my post was confusing but to clarify, my friend was AMAZING leading up to our wedding and the day of. The coordinator who was useless and stayed at my friend's wedding as her brothers date - was hired from a large company. Not a friend.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes! Absolutely! I don't want to be asked a million questions right before I'm walking down the aisle!

• C
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes! I love the peace of mind knowing set up and take down can get done and I can just be present and enjoy my day!
  • C
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I really feel on the fence of like to have and need to have as well! I have a few inquiries out and I will see what they have to say and if the price can fit in my budget
  • C
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love the peace of mind AND that my friends and family get to enjoy our special day as well! I've been an MOH where I had to do some DOC duties and it was an exhausting day!
  • C
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!
  • C
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh no she didn't 🙈🤣
    I will definitely be looking in to references! Thank you!!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's another reason I advocate for not using family or friends as the coordinator. They're too invested in the event as a spectator to properly focus on running things.
  • C
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    1000% I was lucky that a friend of mine looking at getting into the business offered to do it so she also helped me leading up to the day. Looking back, I can't imagine not having her and I'd definitely have hired someone. I'd make sure to look into references though. My friend's coordinator in August was useless and ended up staying for the party as her (the bride's) brothers date 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hire a DOC if you feel you have a lot to get done for set up and decor. The cost will be high though its expected for their services. You don't have to deal with the running around and the vendors. The one suggestion would be is having the tips ready with the vendors name for the coordinator to give the day of the wedding.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do it. You honestly shouldn't have to deal with phone calls like "I'm running 15 minutes late" or "I'm trying to find the place" while you're getting ready or doing other things the day of. And they will be your eyes and ears on the ceremony floor right before you step out. Some people offload their planning and setup tasks to their families and bridal party to save costs but in my opinion, they should be allowed to enjoy the wedding just as much as you and pros are pros for a reason. If anything goes wrong, a professional will know how to troubleshoot. And the last thing you want is to strain a relationship because a family member or someone in the bridal party didn't perform to your expectations on no wage.

• Laura
    Devoted June 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve heavily inclined to hire one, but for our budget it’s more of a nice to have than a must have, and I’d rather use that money to make our honeymoon more awesome. But being the control freak I am, I really want someone to manage all the set up- so I’m in the same boat as you! I’d say if you have the budget, do it. It’ll only help make your day less stressful.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I have hired a day of so we can relax on our day and not have to worry about anything. I think it's totally worth it if it's in your budget. She will be doing all of the set up of our decor for the ceremony and reception. She'll also be dealing with the vendors that are coming to our venue the afternoon of the wedding since we won't be there until about 30 minutes before. She's also be helping us with timing of walking down the aisle and also timing of walking into our reception. After that she is able to leave. We won't need her for tear down of our decor since we will need to be out of our venue by 1230am. You can definitely get the day of corrdinator to take everything down as well if you don't want to worry about that.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics