Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Day-of-coordinator

Kelly, on January 29, 2019 at 22:02 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14

Oh man you guys. I'm overwhelmed. I just got back home from a consultation with a day-of coordinator. Originally, we weren't going to have one, but as the day approaches, and I see the number of vendors we have to juggle...I just want to enjoy my day and not worry about the details, you know?
But $2,000! That is a difficult price to swallow. That would make her our 3rd most expensive vendor, AND...one that we didn't budget for!
I already have my vendors booked, I already have the decor mostly planned, I don't need somebody to make idea boards or custom colour palettes...I have already done all of these things.
What I do need is a person I can rely on the day of to make it all go smoothly. All the other stuff these people are offering isn't necessary for us. But its part of the package...
None of our parents will be a good fit for this role. We don't have any close relatives we can ask. We also don't want to ask people who are meant to be guests. We don't want them to be working.

The kicker is that I really want somebody, but my fiancé is dead set that we can champ it out ourselves. He wasn't able to come to this meeting with me...so its difficult convincing him that we need her, or anybody. But I pointed out that I have been doing all the researching, booking vendors, gathering decor, and he hadn't, so he doesn't even have a clue what I even want a break from on our wedding day. he sees the price tag.
Did you hire a day-of coordinator and were they worth the cost? Did you not and wish you had?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on February 6, 2019 at 16:21
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry no, I live in Edmonton!

• Mary
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Mary ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Who was your wedding planner? is she in toroto or the gta?!

• Sheila
    Beginner September 2020 Alberta
    Sheila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I second Allison's idea! Do you have anyone you're close to and trust who maybe isn't in the wedding party? The wife of one of our groomsmans offered to be a point person/coordinator for me on the day of, and while I don't think I will need to take her up on the offer, it was nice to know she was there in case.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

How did you find the coordinator that you like?

We found ours via Wedding Wire and an added bonus was we got her WW promotion.

In addition to all of the other great advice you've received, maybe you could send a message to the Manitoba Planners noting that you are looking for a DOC with your specific budget, and see if anyone will respond.

Alternatively, try a facebook group of local vendors.

As a MOH for my best friend, although I wasn't the coordinator, me and the best man were the coordinator's contact for the evening. Anything she needed we were there so she wouldn't have to both the wedding couple. Maybe you could talk to your wedding party and ask them to help fill that role. And maybe discuss cuts that could be made to the existing budget to make the DOC a thing.

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think wedding coordinators are extremely important. $2000 is a lot however, I paid $550 for mine (she was a STEAL) and I am not familiar with them in Manitoba, but have you met with multiple different people, and price compared? I feel like you might be able to find one cheaper than $2000. Do not Google them, the ones that come up first on Google searches pay to be there. They cost a lot. If your city has any Facebook wedding groups, ask on that platform for recommendations and reviews. That is where I found mine, and she has been super helpful thus far

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is there anyone in your wedding party (particularly on your FH's side since guys don't have the getting ready time)? It sounds like all you really need is a point person vendors can touch base with/relay any messages if necessary.

Our venue has a point person/event coordinator that will act in this way. I also have my godmother and my mom's friend who are helping with decor and can also point vendors in the right direction. And honestly, if I didn't have these options, I would easily bite that $2k bullet lol.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its hard to get through the day and especially with all the vendors to manage along with the day to make sure it goes smoothly.

Is your venue giving you a few days in advance to allow you to set up your reception hall for any small décor you want to get out of the way? It would be a great relief and way to get them done easier knowing the bigger things are to worry about.
    There is one thing I did do as I had everything sorted, lists for each bag to indicate what is for the wedding, outfits, reception area décor, and guest favours. Welcome bags was one of them too and it did go well to know when you arrive and get started, you can ask for help and provide a layout on a paper to have them know what's going where and who seats where if doing favours.

As for vendors, take your wedding binder/book/folder to ensure that all is near and they make their timing well so you do get their services as contracted or if they don't make it, court case can be coming their way.

If you find the COD you like and go with to lighten your work, that is great news and less worry on you.

Good luck!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I booked Joy Sutyla Smiley smile Her and her husband own the wedding venue we chose and she does Professional Wedding Coordinating on site for KISS Events. Not sure if she does DOC for other places that aren't her venue - but it's worth a shot!

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/kissevents.ca/

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/riversedgeresort.ca/

FB: https://www.facebook.com/RiversEdgeSeasonalResort/

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

All good suggestions.

Who did you book for your DOC? $1000 isn't terrible.

I'd really like to hire somebody. As much as its important for me and my fiance to enjoy the day and not sweat the little things...its its also important that our friends, bridal party and family do the same. We put them all to work at our social. The wedding should be fun for everyone.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Option 1: Ask your list of DOC's if they could cut cost as to what you need

Option 2: Find one for cheaper (mine came out to $1000)

Option 3: Give small tasks to the wedding party and close family.

Option 4: Ask your MC to help out (as long as the MC is a family member or friend and not just the DJ)

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do you have a friend that you wish could have been in wedding party that you could ask to do this? Be part of the unofficial wedding party? I hired a Day of Coordinator and she was $500 for 12 hours and to come for 4 hours night before. I was able to pay that as honestly wasn't very much less than the dj and helps way more. After hiring her I realized could of asked a really good friend to help instead as she knows me better and what I would fuss over. Still happy hired this person though

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am getting a bunch of family friends to help us out! Giving small tasks to a few people to ensure the day goes over smooth and to make sure I'm not a complete stress ball the day of haha! We have asked these people to not give gifts or are paying for their hotel stay as a thank you!

• T
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Trish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue includes an event coordinator. I found however, that the venue's coordinator is strictly "for the venue" and leaves after dinner.......I wanted someone there "for me" and my vision...so I hired a day of coordinator. Ours was having a promo for $800. There are definitely cheaper options out there....our wedding is April 27 so we haven't had it yet but she seems super organized and in control of things. It seems worth it to me so far! Good luck

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Kelly!

Have you checked with your reception venue? They sometimes have a day-of coordinator included in your package. They would be able to welcome your other vendors and make sure everything runs smoothly behind the scene.

If not, then I'd start asking day-of coordinators if they could cut their prices to accommodate for what you actually need and not the pre-made packages. I'm sure you'd be able to negotiate something reasonable.

Best of luck Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics