Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alissa
Frequent user September 2020 British Columbia

Date notations. Is it Dd/mm/yyyy or Mm/dd/yyyy?!

Alissa, on December 9, 2018 at 17:02 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 17
I am wanting to get monogrammed products for our wedding and I am having so much trouble trying to figure out the order a date goes in! I know in Canada its supposed to go DD/MM/YYYY but i have had vendors and friends that have read it wrong and thought our wedding was the wrong month. Is there a right way?! Or should I just do what I think is proper and ignore criticisms? I'm also considering going military order with YYYY/MM/DD to possibly make it less confusing but that doesnt seem to be common with weddings.. help

17 Comments

Latest activity by Leanne, on December 19, 2018 at 16:26
  • Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In Canada it is DD/MM/YYYY. Even though my Husband usually gives me grief for typically using the American standard, for all of our wedding stuff I decided to use the Canadian standard

• Deborah
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Deborah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

From my experience, most Canadians use the American format of MM/DD/YYYY. I'm from the UK originally and half our guests use DD/MM/YYYY so to be on the safe side I'll actually be spelling it out like 7th August 2020 or August 7th, 2020. Too risky when people are booking flights for them to get it wrong haha Smiley smile

• Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Why not go dd/mmm/yyyy. Example 03/Aug/2019. Nothing should be confusing about that option.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

From what a language professor told me once, it is dd/mm/yyyy in Canada because that's how it is in French and it standardizes it between the two languages (might have just been his professional opinion *shrugs*...seems a legit reason though)

I think a few previous posters hit it on the head that it seems to be a personal preference as much as what is grammatically correct. Just go with what you want, and, if vendors are getting confused, maybe using wording in correspondence like: I want it to have the date December 17th, 2018 in the format of 12/27/3018 (or 27/12/2018 or 2018/12/17).

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depends on what you want... but traditionally it's DD/MM/YYYY ... 12/12/2018 ... The 12th of December, 2018. K, bad example, haha... 25/12/2018, 25th of December, 2018.

Honestly, for wedding stuff, I'm spelling it out... January 19, 2019 ... it's just more formal.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm a mm/dd/yyyy type because I say December 9, (mm/dd) not 9 December (dd/mm).

Some people say the date first but I DJ d most people go with the montb first!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It looks like no one can agree on this. I think you should just do what makes sense for you tbh. I am one of those MM/DD/YYYY people lol.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In Canada, it is supposed to be DD/MM/YYYY. My computer uses this format:

Date format on work computerDate notations. Is it Dd/mm/yyyy or Mm/dd/yyyy?! 1

However, there are times where I would read this as October 12, 2018 instead of December 10, 2018. My wedding is on October 19, 2019 or 19/10/2019 so there's no confusion as there's no 19th month.

You should do whatever feels right for you, you guys will know what date it is no matter what! As for vendors, I would write our the month when contacting them so they KNOW when it is.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I tried looking it up and it says that Americans write it MM/DD/YYYY and Canadians are suppose to write it as DD/MM/YYYY but I write it with the month first. I do it that way as that it how you would say it out loud or at least I would. I never say that I'm getting married on the 5th of October 2019, I say I'm getting married on October 5th 2019!

Either way is correct to just go with what you feel suits you and the FH! Or as suggested, write it all out.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg i’m dumb 😂😂 whoops hahahah and thank you!
  • Alissa
    Alissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    But that is day, month, year! Haha 12,sept,2020... maybe 12 is just a very prominent number.. even I am starting to get confused. I will just avoid it if i can. Hahahah you're so lucky your date worked out that way! It looks so nice!
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I definitely would read that as December, I always assume day/month/year. Luckily we’re getting married June 6, so either way it’s 06/06/2020 😂
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have actually gone month day year... 05.24.19. I know the 24th days is obvious as theres no 24th month but I just liked the flow better! But yeah if you're having trouble I would suggest spelling it out!
  • Alissa
    Alissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    UGH same. I just like the coherant order from smallest to largest... we are 12/09/2020 and even on this app people have messaged me back saying they'd love to work my december weddingSmiley amazing ... most of the stuff will be just for us for keepsakes anyways (card box, etc.) But it just irks me when friends point out that its "backwards"!! I know i should have better things to worry about. Just irritated. Haha
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

THIS IS ONE OF MY PET PEEVES. I am adamant that is be dd/mm/yyyy, but everyone I know disagrees. I'm lucky, mine is 06.16.2019 so there isn't any room for confusion, but I would consider using words if you're worried about any confusion.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I always go day month year

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you should do what you like best. People will get it wrong no matter how you do it. That’s why I personally don’t like dates in numbers unless the day is greater then 12. Could you maybe write out the month name?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics