Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ashlea
Curious June 2021 Alberta

Dance with Parents

Ashlea, on June 29, 2020 at 10:26 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9
My fiancé and I both lost our dads so I was just wondering what we should be doing with the parent dances? He suggested it wouldn’t be fair to do a mother and son dance since I wouldn’t have a father to dance with, and thought we should only do our first dance. Anybody have thoughts on this or have been in a similar situation?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Cindy, on June 30, 2020 at 10:33
  • Cindy
    Frequent user May 2021 Alberta
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Ashlea, I am so sorry for your loss.

I am in the same boat, sort of. I just lost my dad in February and he has his mom and step mom to think about. We have decided to do just our first dance and then move on. This is also his second marriage so we are kind of doing things as non-traditional as we can with still making it the best, most memorable day. Smiley smile

• Ashlea
    Curious June 2021 Alberta
    Ashlea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you all for your suggestions Smiley smile I failed to mention that I was extremely close with my dad, but my mom not so much. She is in my life though. My fiancé still doesn’t want to have the mother son dance, but I think I am just going to make him do it anyway. Definitely don’t want to take that away from her. I think we will just have our first dance, and the mother and son dance.
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I LOVE THAT SONG!
    I think that will be beyond beautiful for Your Mother & You. I am sure there won't be a dry eye there.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm doing a mother daughter dance and my FH will be doing a mother son dance.

My dad is alive and well, he just doesn't like to dance and has some mobility issues

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It is entirely up to the two of you. We will only be doing a first dance and then let the party start. My father isn't part of my life and his mother has mobility issues and would not enjoy having everyone staring at her while they dance. We may have some songs that are special to us and mother/son, mother/daughter but everyone will be able to dance with us.
  • L
    Curious September 2020 Ontario
    Lindsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I lost my dad last year and so I’m actually going to surprise my mom by dancing with her. I will have our DJ announce after the mother son and first dance that there is one more dance. I’m thinking maybe dancing to Mama by Carrie Underwood.
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m so sorry to hear Smiley sad. But as others have mentioned- is there someone else that’s special to you that you could have that dance with? I’ve heard from grandparents, uncles, close friends etc....
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I should add that I do think he should still have his Mother Son dance. Don't let him miss out on that moment. You are both lucky to have your Mothers in your lives still at the least, make sure his mother gets that moment with him.
    It would just be to figure out who YOU should spend your dance with, and like I said, I think your Mother would be a wonderful choice. That is just me personally.

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do you have your grandparents by chance? A Brother or Brother-in-law ?
    I would maybe suggest if those aren't your options that you have a dance with your Mother. There are some BEAUTIFUL mother daughter songs, one of my Favorites would be "Mama's song - Carrie Underwood"

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics