Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Peggy
Super May 2019 Alberta

Dance and drinks invitation wording?

Peggy, on June 25, 2018 at 10:46 Posted in Wedding reception 0 27

So my fiancé has decided that he's started inviting people to the reception only (after dinner is done). I can't un-invite them, even though I think it's pretty uncouth to say "Hey, we can't afford to feed you but come to the party once that's done!". I'm trying to salvage this so it doesn't seem like these folks are an afterthought - I'm going to be ordering invitations for them to the party portion of the reception.

My fiancé wants to word it as "Come crash our wedding!", because he's been saying to the folks to 'crash' it already. I want to say something like "Join us for dancing and drinks".

Any suggestions on how to mesh these two?

27 Comments

Latest activity by Candice, on July 25, 2018 at 16:55
  • Candice
    Curious October 2018 Alberta
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I odered the exact same invites, except took the reception out and put dance in instead. I'm from Saskatchewan and this is common to invite people to the Ceremony and Dance but not the reception.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our dance guests were also invited to the ceremony so we said this "JOIN US AFTER THE CEREMONY FOR AN EVENING OF COCKTAILS, DANCING AND CELEBRATION."

I copied and pasted right from the invitation sorry for the caps.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Glad it could help - the responses to this thread had made me feel so much better about this. I'm actually excited to get these invitations printed now!

• Gabbie
    Frequent user June 2019 Nova Scotia
    Gabbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so stealing this idea!!!!! I love it!

• Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did an invitation the wedding and dinner at 3pm, and then an invitation the Reception at 8pm. People who get the invitation for 8pm know that its not dinner and its later after. But its the party time. everyone has been fine with it and havent mentioned anything or taken it badly. I also put out ONE invitation at work with a sticky saying open to all who can make it. Again no one thought of it badly.

People understand that it is EXPENSIVE to feed everyone, but that the party is where everyone else can join in and have a great time. No need to stress about how it looks to others.

Its your wedding. you do you. and whatever you guys want to happen.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We have 200 guests for dinner, and another 50-60 as 'wedding crashers'.

• Natasha
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s sweet of you. How many people are “wedding crashes”?
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I really don't want anyone feeling like they were an after thought, or a 'B' list, or anything; that's why I'm doing invitations. They'll still get them in the mail, along with a request to RSVP on the website.

• Natasha
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing this as well. I hadn’t thought about ordering them invites it was going to be a simple text with the info as it’s not so much people. But now I may do an invite for them also.
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's actually pretty common to invite people just to the reception after dinner! I know lots of people who have done that, and everyone is just happy to be able to appear at the wedding at all!

I think that you should go with your fiances suggestion and make light of it!

I would love if I got an invitation to crash someone's wedding 😊
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    “Come “Crashing” in for Dancing and Drinks!”
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Amazing invites and just different of a phrase to hear when its something you never seem to hear anyone do. Its creative for sure and original.
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be inviting guests for just the ceremony and dance as well. I think just make sure the dance is happening at the time stated on their invite. We have a huge family so our friends understand that we aren’t able to afford dinner for all of them, but they still want to be there to celebrate with us. I might use that slogan too Smiley smile wedding crashers welcome
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My only suggestion is just make sure the dancing is happening at that time! My friend did this and the dinner ended up going later, so the people invited just for the dance were waiting around until it was over, watching everyone else eat!

• Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is actually a great idea!

I'll have to talk to my FH about it. Our issue is budget, but also our venue has a capacity of total people, so we can't actually invite everyone we want to.

I have been to a wedding where it was the opposite actually, I was invited to the ceremony but no reception, she was my high school teacher so totally understandable but it does happen, I'm sure your guests love you enough to understand the situation.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Looks beyond great to me! Way to make a sticky situation all better. Kudos to you.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement - I just don't want these wonderful people to end up feeling like B list friends! I appreciate that everyone thinks the wording is fun - that gives me confidence to go ahead with doing it this way.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like the mock-up. I think using the term "wedding crasher" or "crash our wedding" adds that air of fun, so they really feel like they are being invited to the party.

It's also totally reasonable to not be able to feed 50 extra people dinner, but want to offer them the opportunity to be part of the day.

• Candace
    Beginner August 2019 New Brunswick
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Great idea!
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Looks really good!!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

These look great, and it meshes together both yours and his wording!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think they look great!
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

How does this look to you ladies?

Dance and drinks invitation wording? 1

Dance and drinks invitation wording? 2

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think I'm just a bit more formal and traditional than he is, sometimes! I'm sure it's fine, I just have to wrap my head around it!

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree! I'd be delighted to receive an invitation that invited me to "crash" the wedding! So fun!

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s actually a pretty common thing to have people join later after dinner. It works well for couples with large friend groups or a venue that doesn’t seat enough people!
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think the come crash our wedding sounds cute!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics