Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Arexy
Devoted October 2020 Ontario

Curb side pick up - wedding dress

Arexy, on May 11, 2020 at 09:10 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 10
So, the day is here and my dress has arrived. I’m a little bit thrown off that it is a curb side pick up and I can’t actually go inside the bridal boutique to try it on. Anyways, my original wedding date was this coming September, but we postponed due to the virus. I now have to store this dress for over a year. Anyone have any tips and recommendations for how to properly store a dress?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on May 18, 2020 at 15:06
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would call a bridal store and ask them for their professional opinions thats a long time to hang on to your dress

• Arexy
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Update: my dress arrived with a handful of manufacturers defects... my straps are different sizes, and the lace overlay is an absolute mess. I took it back to the store, and the owner promised she would send it back to the designer. She told me that they would either try to “fix” it or just make me a new dress. I truly do not understand how they will be able to fix it considering the material isn’t even the same size. I am so disheartened. I loved my dress and now I want absolutely nothing to do with it. Has anyone had these problems before?
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would ask if your store can place your dress into a wedding "box" its a special box designed to keep your dress free of dirt and to keep it without wrinkles. This would be a great way to store it.

The other suggestion would be to also request if you can WAIT to pick up your dress this way they have to continue to hold it, and if you have any problems with it, its best you tell them right away so I would wait until you actually go into the store, if you can that is.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't try on my dress when I picked it up because I was cranky and on my period so I waited to try it on later that month. As far as storage I purchased a cloth garment bag from the store and my parent's are keeping it in their guest room closet with nothing else around it.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Everything I've read is a cool dark area in a breathable bag. You can always call the shop to ask them how to store it if they don't have space.

I like having mine at home. I don't need to worry about the store closing or having a pipe burst or something. Plus if I want to try it on I can any time I want. I've got it in an office/spare room closet where my cats can't get at it.
  • Arexy
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow congrats! If I was you, I would certainly wear it twice 😊
  • Arexy
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I didn’t ask because they didn’t give me that option. I have a feeling the answer would be no due to space shortages etc.
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Any way your bridal shop can store it?
  • Haylee
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Haylee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Good topic! Last week David's Bridal shipped my dress out to me. Thankfully they included a free dress bag, to my surprise. So it is currently in the bag hanging in my closet. Waiting to be worn in almost 2 months! And then maybe again at a larger party we're planning to be able to celebrate with everyone.

• V
    Frequent user September 2021 Ontario
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally feel you, I also postponed, and by the time my wedding rolls around next year I will be storing the dress for 2 years.

Make sure the dress is away from heat, humidity, light.
    I currently have it stored in my spare bedroom. It’s laying flat on the bed in the acid-free garment bag the store gave me! Mine is lying flat because it’s an a-line/ball gown type dress so I read you shouldn’t have it hanging because the weight of the hanging dress can alter the shape. I blacked out the windows. And the door is closed but I air out the room occasionally Smiley smile
    I probably took excessive precautions, but I’m paranoid and I don’t want it to yellow.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics