Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Curious May 2021 Alberta

Covid19: Signing papers anyways?

Danielle, on April 15, 2020 at 19:35 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 17
Hi everyone! My heart goes out to all the future brides out there. 💗

My fiancé and I are most likely going to just sign papers on our wedding date which is May 29 with just our parents and siblings in our backyard. Then at a later date when covid has died down to where it’s safe, we will have the legit wedding of walking down the isle, bridal party photos and reception. I’m even going to wear a little white dress for the signing of the papers but not my wedding dress.
How do you make signing of the papers still special but not too repetitive at the same time. Do you still exchange vows? Hold off exchanging rings? After you get “legally” married does the excitement go away? Would you still be up to having a celebration later? Also! I’m not knocking backyard weddings at all! This is a question referring to having to change plans that weren’t the initial plans in the first place. 💗💗💗
I would love some feedback on this. Thanks! 💗

17 Comments

Latest activity by Danielle, on May 7, 2020 at 17:34
  • D
    Curious May 2021 Alberta
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love this Megan! ❤️
  • Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm happy you decided to make it happen!
    We decided to get legally married on our front lawn, with our immediate family (and boss who invited himself, and neighbours who found out there would be entertainment) watching from their cars with covid signs and all.

We decided to go with the legal vows, and we still exchanged rings. We picked up takeout in our wedding outfits from a local restaurant, facetimed extended family, ate cake from a local bakery providing pickup - all by ourselves. But it was still special.

We're still going to have the reception and honeymoon later. Maybe in a year or so. To be honest, it was a great way to get married, and we'll never forget it - but I'm still sad that we didn't really get to 'celebrate' it like a normal wedding. I think I'm more upset that we didn't get the honeymoon to let it soak in. We went back to work on Monday and now we're just married LOL.

Covid19: Signing papers anyways? 1

• Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Soooo we are thinking about doing this also! We postponed for November but we have been discussing the idea of eloping before then. We are just waiting for it to be safe to have our parents present..... I actually got myself a cheap wedding dress from amazon just in case! Now if we have to postpone any further we may consider just holding a reception in the future.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It is excellent though the only thing we did get is this Covid19: Signing papers anyways? 2

• D
    Curious May 2021 Alberta
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Vinod! Yeah we’re sending out an email this week regarding our wedding postponement and mention if we are still signing papers or not regardless. Everyone seems to be pushing us to sign the papers which is kind of funny. So I know they’re will be support there which is nice
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    An elopement reception invitation is a simple thing to send out letting everyone know you got married on date. My in laws did the same way and sent it through Facebook and other social media sites.
  • K
    Curious May 2020 Alberta
    Kendell ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We do. We got them back on March 13th because I said I wanted our licenses and stuff incase this blew up and it so happen to blow up way larger then expected. I'm in Alberta and our licenses can be picked up 3 months prior to your date so we have until june 13th.
  • D
    Curious May 2021 Alberta
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Alysha! Yeah we got our license as there’s still register offices open here in Alberta. My friend in Toronto say the township of Zorra was still accommodating marriage licenses last time she checked. https://www.zorra.ca/en/index.aspx You most likely would have to book an appointment. Hope this helps!
  • Alysha
    Beginner May 2020 Ontario
    Alysha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi! Our day was May 30th too. Do you already have your papers? We wanted to do the same thing but we couldn't get our license in Toronto.

• D
    Curious May 2021 Alberta
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hear you! And I think all of us brides deserve this beautiful experience of having a wedding if that’s what we want. DONT LET CORONA WIN!! LOL. I think you would still look forward to it. I’ve been seeing a lot of feedback on this. People say signing papers just feels like an pre-wedding event leading up to the official wedding event. It’s better to have it and regret it then not have it and regret it. Again if you have the wedding later I don’t think it will be a regret you have. Personally it won’t even feel official for me until I have the wedding. I think what I’m doing is signing papers with just my parents and siblings because we’re limited to a gathering of 15 people. My dad is a pastor so he will officiant. It’s going to be really simple. He’ll probably do a little speech about marriage because signing the papers is still something special. We will most likely do traditional vows and were not exchanging rings because we’re holding off so it’s not repetitive in that way and we will do personal vows on the wedding day. A little nice dress doesn’t have to be white and if restaurants are still closed we will get someone to cater. Signing the papers and the wedding day should be whatever you want it to be 💗
  • D
    Curious May 2021 Alberta
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you all for your feedback. All so beautifully spoken. They all made me think and of course made me feel better so thank you. 💗
    This situation is tough. It’s like do I still tell people I signed papers? Do I not? I know personally for me I’ve been getting a lot of support from people who have told me to go ahead and we can celebrate later. This made me realize that there’s nothing wrong if you want to go ahead and start your life together and get settled in. Especially considering the fact that the entire world is facing a pandemic! My fiancé and I have been together for 11 years and because of our strict Christian upbringing we’re not allowed to live together. We also have old grandparents that we don’t know will live to see another year. So there’s many factors that goes into everyone’s decision as to why they want to sign papers and I think doing what’s best for you two is the most important thing. I don’t know if you owe anyone an explanation if you signed papers but I don’t think you should have to hide it. If your guest are as supportive as they should be, telling them shouldn’t give you anxiety. Again this is completely up to you.
    This also gives you an opportunity to revamp your guest list too. If there’s people on your list who wouldn’t be supportive to still celebrate with you later and upset you signed papers anyways Im personally not paying for their plate. Lol. Tomorrow isn’t promised and were in a pandemic?! And you’re giving me a hard time?! BYE 😂
  • K
    Curious May 2020 Alberta
    Kendell ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm trying to figure this out too. We have postponed our May 30th wedding to May 22 2021. We have talked about eloping on the 30th me and him and having our own special day then having the ceremony and wedding weekend orginally planned next year.

We havent told anyone we are planning on getting married and are trying to figure out whether we should or not because we dont want people to be upset that next years ceremony wont be the "real" thing. I'm struggling with how to not upset people with us still being already married this year.
    I think if you're having different people and both things it will be a different experience both times. I believe exchanging rings is what you want to do. We plan on having personal vows for our elopement and then the non personal traditional vows for the ceremony with guests. We are more private people anyways so it works out. I think if you're not wearing your dress you will be excited for all of the big stuff again when you have your other ceremony.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If I was in this situation I would still exchange vows, exchange rings (no way would I get married and then NOT wear my rings), and dress up. I don't think the excitement would go away - but that's because the stress of planning a wedding would still be there Smiley tongue Always going to look forward to the end of a stressful planning!

At the ceremony "for show" I would still exchange vows and ring - but maybe change up the vows and add something in it about how you clearly are in it for the worse part seeing as how you can say that you've made it through a pandemic? But if it feels weird to redo your vows and have a ceremony you could always try and keep it more on a renewal side of things?

• Alison
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m an August 2020 bride and considering postponing if needed. Like you, we would also have a small ceremony on our actual day, and are trying to decide if we would have the big wedding later. I still want to do the whole walk down the aisle and exchange vows, but am also wondering if this would feel weird after already being legally married for a while. On the one hand I don’t know if we should, and on the other hand, I feel like we still deserve to have the wedding we’ve dreamed of and been planning for so long!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The idea of the Officiant price paid twice adds to the budget. Reception after following makes the party time.
    As for the dress, wearing something else apart from the wedding dress would be simpler and showing the wedding dress later on with your guests present better.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Signing the papers the day of your wedding makes sense and having a family member marrying you two unofficially without the signing part. The whole process can be done and vows too. The idea of paying twice for an Ifficiant
  • Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got legally married at the courthouse with about 30 friends and family. I didn't wear white, but we did dress up! We chose a short reading, and exchanged the usual "in sickness and in health" vows because we planned to say our own personally written vows at our actual wedding (which was supposed to be April 11th. We did exchange wedding bands, but only wore them for a few days because we were saving it for our wedding day. Once we had to cancel, we decided to embrace the fact that we are already married and have been wearing our wedding bands ever since. After the ceremony, we had dinner at our favourite restaurant and my in-laws threw us a fantastic party! Of course that isn't possible now, but you could share a meal and make it special in your own way! The excitement didn't go away for us until we had to cancel our destination wedding while knowing that we would never rebook it abroad. Having the legal wedding itself didn't make the excitement go away - it felt like another wedding event that was leading to the main day. We are going to be rescheduling the wedding to a small event in my hometown, and we are still excited for certain memories we're looking forward to making, like my dress, personal vows, dancing to our song, and taking photos with our family and friends!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics