Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Newbie April 2021 Alberta

Covid wedding burnout

Laura, on April 15, 2021 at 23:13 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11
I'm supposed to get married in 11 days. This is our third wedding date, with our last wedding getting postponed 5 days out because of the second wave. We planned this date thinking that it would be well timed but thats obviously wrong. I'm so stressed that more restrictions will come in right before and I'll have to deal with figuring out a plan D. I want someone to talk to but everytime I try I feel like I'm asking for attention and people just want me to be excited and "don't worry it will workout". I have an amazing venue that's handling so much for us but I'm so worried about all of the unknowns. We don't know how we will be able to do the dinner, good chance everyone will just have to eat alone in there rooms, which makes me feel like I am wasting my families time and money. How are other brides and grooms handling the isolation and uncertainty?

I know weddings are supposed to be hard, but pandemic weddings are something else.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Laura, on April 21, 2021 at 12:30
  • L
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Your right let's not continue this. I just pushed back so you could understand that your message tone was coming off in a way you didn't mean it.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Look, I'm not trying to argue with you. I think you read way too much into my response. If you read my first response again I think you'll see that I suggested you speak with your venue about your options because you said you don't know what you're going to do about the dinner.

I also suggested you might want to consider postponing if you aren't happy with everyone eating in their rooms - because you said in your original post that you were worried this would happen and to me, this did not sound like something you were happy with or wanted to do. Obviously you don't want to postpone and that's totally fine.

Also, you didn't make it clear that your weenie roast was the same as what you suggested your outdoor dinner was. I thought these were two totally separate ideas you were floating around. Obviously you know all of this, but I hope you can see how people that don't know you and are trying to respond based totally off of what you write here aren't going to get the entire picture.

• L
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I actually did state it in the original post "good chance everyone will just have to eat alone in there rooms, which makes me feel like I am wasting my families time and money."

You are right that I did say I was hoping that we might be able to do some of the dinner outside, which is tied to the fact that "no receptions" since the rule has no explanation of what that actually means. If its fine for us to host a weenie roast on a different day than the fact we got married that day should not change that.

I get your just trying to be helpful, but at this point I am 5 days out from a wedding and nervous that the bear minimum I have planned could have to be cancelled due to restrictions. I was asking for help on how to deal with these feelings, not for someone try and make me feel worse. I doubt I am the only one you are talking to with this tone, and I would suggest you think about your approach because this is supposed to be a helpful community.

• Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I understand that this is stressful and I'm sorry you're having to deal with the circumstances. I got married during the peak of the second wave and had to make multiple drastic changes to my wedding in the weeks leading up to it - trust me, I understand.

You did not say those things in your original post which was why I wanted to make sure you were aware of the restrictions and that your venue was communicating with you. I also noticed you replied to another comment saying you were hopeful you could do dinner outside. From an outsider's perspective it did not appear that you were aware of the restrictions and unfortunately people trying to get around the rules has been a fairly common theme during the pandemic.

I'm glad you're doing what you can to keep your friends/family safe and I do wish you the best for your wedding.

• L
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am aware of that and that is why our reception is going to most likely be everyone eating dinner in their hotel rooms and chatting over zoom as stated in the original post. Is that my ideal, no but I understand it's the facts of the current situation.

You should be cognizant of the stress people are facing trying to figure out weddings and global pandemics. If I have already stated that I am taking the proper precautions then maybe you don't need that condescending tone. I am struggling enough with this balance because I feel like I am wasting peoples time with my covid friendly wedding and having someone tell me I'm making a mistake because they assume I'm trying to skirt the rules is really difficult.
  • Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You are aware that wedding receptions are currently banned in Alberta? That’s definitely not going to change in the next 11 days. If anything restrictions will tighten more.
    I’m really sorry to say this but you need to postpone your reception unless you are in fact happy to have everyone just be in their individual rooms after the ceremony and everyone video chats in. You should speak with your venue ASAP to get this sorted as they absolutely should not be planning to deliver a normal reception.

• Cindy
    Frequent user May 2021 Alberta
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married May 21, 2021. This is our second date as we postponed from July 2020. As of right now we are only allowed a 10 person ceremony and that is what we are prepared for as we don't see anything changing in the next month. I am not handling the unknown well at all however we have made some big decisions in the past week that have gotten me a bit more excited for this date to come. We will zoom the ceremony for all guests that are not able to come due to restrictions and we will be planning a "sequel" wedding ceremony and reception next year to celebrate with everyone we wanted to share our day with.

• L
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Linda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had a 40 person ceremony planed for the 30th of April. We never had to reschedule but the planing kept getting put on hold then starting, then on hold, then starting. It's been extremely stressful. When I wasn't stressed thinking it wasnt gonna happen, then I was stressed thinking I wasn't gonna have enough time to plan because the restrictions kept changing. Now with only 10 persons allowed to be present in Ontario, and no dining out allowed, I have officially given up. I don't care anymore, I just want this roller coaster to stop. So we're just getting married in our backyard with only our household present.

We might plan a reception for next year, but I'm not gonna even think about it unless covid isn't a big deal anymore. Not putting myself through this again. We've wasted thousands of dollars and countless hours, with nothing to show for it.
  • T
    Curious July 2021 Alberta
    Teri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Agreed, we're more concerned about celebrating with our special people too. I hope the weather changes between now and then so you are able to celebrate some how! Best of luck 🙂
  • L
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am hoping we can do some of the dinner outside, but the forecast keeps falling. Right now it's calling for rain and snow. We are doing a weenie roast the day after and I'm considering making that our wedding dinner. I don't care about the fan fare I care about celebrating with the special people. I can't wait for this all to be over.
  • T
    Curious July 2021 Alberta
    Teri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are supposed to get married in June, still a couple months away but at this point we are just trying to go with the flow. We decided to go through with our date knowing it won't be a "traditional" wedding. Are you able to have dinner outside if there's space? I'm not sure what the restrictions are on that, but it could be an option so everyone is together? Planning a wedding during covid has definitely been a roller-coaster. We decided we're going to have a reception/dance with the rest of our family/close friends when it's safe to do so.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics