Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mikayla
Newbie August 2022 Quebec

Covid policy for August 2022 wedding

Mikayla, on March 23, 2022 at 12:26 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
Hi everyone,

I am wondering what you have all done in regards to covid policies pertaining to your wedding. Vaccine passports have mostly been lifted where I am, however I would still prefer that guests at my wedding show proof of vaccination. I have it written on the wedding website since October 2021, but I am almost certain most people have not been on the website (all instructions were on the save the dates) as I am always getting phone calls about how to book the hotels etc. My grandparents are immunocompromised as well as my fiance's so it gave us both peace of mind to try and implement a policy. Currently, we are planning to have guests submit their proof of vaccination via email and will have instructions accompanied with our RSVPs and on our website. Have any of you done something similar and how did it go? My partner and I know that most of our guests are vaccinated as we have spent time with many of them at restaurants when the policy was in place.

8 Comments

Latest activity by Maggnard-Smanta, on April 4, 2022 at 14:15
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This makes a lot of sense.

• Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Mikayla,
    It’s great that you’re making sure that they are well vaccinated. I got married during Covid last year, I made note of it on the website and sent the website to everyone notifying the importance of being vaccinated. I even asked if they were. Our venue also communicated with us and told us that they will be checking their vaccination status. It’s great that you’re making sure, if they turn up and they have no proof, that’s out of your hands and they can’t get it. However, you did make sure that you notified all of them. Wishing you all the best in the rest of your wedding planning. 🙏🏾😁🍾💐
  • Alexandra
    Frequent user February 2022 Quebec
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask your guests to send you their proof of vaccination if you don’t already know they are vaccinated. We were considering this but luckily our venue required it. We also asked our guests to take rapid tests before the wedding and no one had a problem with this. We did offer access to rapid tests if people did not have their own to make it easier on them. I think you can just say that you have at risk people attending and because of that you made the choice to still require vaccines.
  • Mikayla
    Mikayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, it's so difficult.
  • Abbie
    Devoted June 2022 Nova Scotia
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I completely understand and share your concerns! I was thinking about requesting everyone to take a test the day before, but then you can be contagious for a couple days before testing positive. It’s really a tough one.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unless your venue has a similar policy, they likely won't help you enforce it. Which means you need someone, either a family member or from the wedding party, to check everyone's vaccine certificate at the door because there may be a lot of people who will not be comfortable emailing you their health information. You may face pushback if your guests are sensitive about this kind of thing so you need to be prepared for that.

While it's great that you're trying to protect your grandparents, another argument could be made on how effective a vaccine policy is. Currently the definition of "fully vaccinated" is still two doses only, which isn't the most effective against omicron, the strain that has been causing us a lot of trouble over the past few months. So are you only taking triple vaccinated guests or are you willing to accept double vaxxed guests even if they could potentially be carriers of omicron (or other new strains)? Because the stats show that a lot of people did not get the booster.

And finally, with a mask-free summer, most people will likely be out and about in other large gatherings prior to your wedding. Some may be travelling. Unless you enforce masking, the minute they start sweating and dancing next to each other at your wedding, your vaccine policy precautions pretty much become moot.

I'm not trying to discourage you from making safe choices. But you should know there's more to consider than just a simple vaccine policy if health and safety is a concern you want to emphasize.

• Mikayla
    Mikayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, I get what you mean. I had written on our website that the policy we have In place wasn't going to change even if the province lifts the restrictions. I could consider having them take a covid test instead.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its great you have the vaccine policy for your wedding in place though its been lifted. It may have some guests not aware if they will be able to attend if they haven't gotten their proof or not vaccinated on personal reasons.

If there are some exemptions you can make to allow the spouses or guests to attend if they don't have proof or by choice vaccinated. Its been a long way to come for the lift to happen and those guests to feel they need to have this done may not feel great.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics