Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jennifer
Frequent user August 2021 Ontario

Covid concerns for August 2021 wedding

Jennifer, on January 8, 2021 at 12:42 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 36
We’re supposed to be having our wedding in late August of this year... fingers crossed that we’re able to have a normal wedding with our 140 person guest list! We’d still happily have one with 50 people but hopefully more.

Is anyone else having a wedding during August? What are your thoughts on Covid being a problem at that time and what are your solutions?
We can postpone without penalty but we’d prefer not to.

36 Comments

Latest activity by Kate22, on April 6, 2021 at 23:10
  • Kate22
    Newbie September 2021 Alberta
    Kate22 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I really appreciate this. It's such a difficult and stupid and frustrating position, for all of us "Covid Brides" (which is a term I absolutely hate, along with "mini-mony" and all the other Covid/Wedding terms). I wonder too if moving it would at least get it off my mind for at least a second! I forgot about the mask mandate for the rest of 2021, also a good point. Thank you for your thoughts!

• Daily
    Expert August 2022 Ontario
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I postponed my August 2020 wedding for the second time to August 2022. I don’t want to worry about wearing masks and especially in Ontario. We’d open for a month and lockdown for 4 weeks. It is a pattern now. I don’t want to stress myself about covid restrictions and plus my husband’s families lived in the states so they can’t come. But good luck to you and fingers crossed 🤞🏽 hopefully things will get a little better in August.
  • Rachel
    Frequent user September 2022 Alberta
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We moved it to September 2022 as I always wanted a fall wedding. When my fiance and I postponed I asked him if he was only okay with moving it because we could stop having the same conversation every day lol. I think December will hopefully be okay if you choose to go that route, but personally I know the mask mandate is in place until the end of the year (at least in our province) and it was somewhat of a deal breaker for me to have masks. I hope whatever you decide brings you peace of mind and not too much disappointment, I know how stressful it can be sitting in limbo!
  • Kate22
    Newbie September 2021 Alberta
    Kate22 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahhhh this makes me so sad. We are getting married September 25th, and I feel like I am in the same boat. I am making myself, and likely everyone around me crazy because it's all I talk about. I am tempted to move to December of this year, but who knows if things will be any better. When did you move it to next year?

• Melissa
    Beginner August 2022 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have made the decision to postpone our August wedding to next year Smiley sad while it was heart breaking, it was the right decision for us. Our ideal guest list is about 130 people (mostly family) which we didn’t want to compromise on. And it is not realistic to expect that the restrictions will allow that this summer. Also there is no dancing or mingling aloud so that played a part in the decision to postpone. We were hoping that the vaccine would be a game changer but the roll out has been so slow it’s looking like most of our guests won’t even have their first vaccine by August. Good luck with your wedding and hopefully this helps a little bit. But do what’s best for you!!
  • C
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    Claudia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our date is August 21 of this year. From the get go we knew it had to be 50 ppl max . The venue recommended this number based on last years #s in August. We have also decided that even if we are allowed more people we will stay at 50 ppl bc we want ppl to come and have a good time. We worry that if it's a bigger crowd we may expose ppl and have possible contamination as a result of our wedding.
    What a situation we are all in Smiley sad
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is exactly how I was feeling. We were hoping to wait until April/May to make the decision about our September wedding but I was driving myself crazy. Now that we have postponed another year I feel a lot of relief that I don't have to keep checking daily cases and news reports that ultimately just stressed me out.
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We just postponed our September wedding. I do think restrictions may be eased by then but it was important to me that we be able to relax and mingle with our guests without the burden of restrictions.
  • D
    Newbie July 2021 New South Wales
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We also assume that our wedding will be in August 2021, and I hope very much every day that everything will work out. Our wedding was supposed to take place a year ago, but because of the coronavirus, we had to postpone the wedding date every time. For more than a year, I have a wedding dress hanging in my closet that I was inspired by alex ariana pinterest blog. We already had a guest list ready and a restaurant booked where we wanted to celebrate our wedding. I really hope that everything will work out and our wedding will finally take place.

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    August 2021 bride here too!! Our date was set last summer and right now I’m also not feeling so hopeful. Being a nurse I know the reality is that things will probably not get back to normal this year. Although if the cases do come down (like they did last summer) the restrictions might ease up a bit later on. We are planning to make a final decision about if we are going ahead with our wedding in March/ April. We will then decide on one of three options 1) go ahead with however many people we are allowed 2) have a small ceremony with just immediate family and have the big party next year or 3) postpone until 2022. I hope this helps even a little!! I know it’s a very stressful time to be planning a wedding!!
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2021 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were supposed to get married this past August 8 and postponed to August 14, 2021. Up until this week I really hadn't thought about the wedding in a few months. I decided I needed a break from it. Now I have started thinking on what to do. I have made a few different guest lists. 30, 50, 75... Our original guest list was 160ish.. I don't want to postpone again. We've been together 12 years and have two kids already and would like to have a third so at this point I just want to get married. I've been doing some thinking on planning to cut back our guest list regardless of restrictions even just to make others more comfortable. I really don't think we will be able to have 160 either way though as much as I want to. But instead because of our larger guest list I hadn't planned on having a videographer but now I am considering hiring one, to have that memory and to live stream possibly. I feel like I am back to last March of my roller coaster of emotions of trying to decide what to do though. It really is hard with not actually knowing where we will be at by then. I haven't even ordered my new invitations yet as I have no idea how many to order and at this time last year I had ordered them and send them at the beginning of February.
  • Desiree
    Desiree ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m august 7th and I wasn’t freaking out till recently with the numbers raising, our guest list has always been small we are at the 50 mark my concern is the unknown and what restrictions will be in place at that time and how do go about getting suits and stuff Altered. I’m not to keen on just a sit down wedding I want people to have fun and enjoy them self’s

• Olivia
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was really happy to read through this chat as this topic has been on my mind a lot lately. I know exactly how everyone feels. It is hard making so many sacrifices but we have been trying to use Covid to our advantage. My fiancée and I are getting married August 12 2021. I am an introvert and the idea of a big wedding is fairly scary to me. However, I have a large family and there is a lot of pressure to have a big wedding with everyone there. We are expecting that the 50 person restrictions indoors will still be in place in Ontario by August. It is a bit of a relief to think I don't have to invite cousins I haven't talked to in years or friend's plus ones that I have never met. We have decided we will go ahead with the ceremony and reception with a smaller guest list. Since we are getting married on a Thursday, we are considering having an outdoor, more casual reception on the following Saturday that way everyone is involved still but just in a different way.

• Jessica
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding was scheduled for August 1, 2020. We really wanted to get married so we decided to go ahead on that day and have a small outdoor ceremony with our immediate family at my Grandparents farm. The government changed the rules just before so if we had more time we could have had 50 people outside that day. It was a beautiful day and very special to spend it with our family. We had booked all of our vendors and venue for a formal 175 person wedding/reception and we are still planning on having a reception. It was first rescheduled to March 2021 and now August 1st, a Sunday, but our first anniversary too. Fingers crossed we can celebrate with our extended family and friends!
    It was disappointing to me that we could not have the wedding that we planned but I do not regret our decision to switch plans and have have a small ceremony in 2020. Two weeks after our wedding my Grandfather lost his battle with cancer and three weeks after that my Nana passed away. Had I have postponed the wedding I wouldn’t have gotten to spend time with them on my wedding day and those memories mean so much to me❤️
  • Corynn
    Corynn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is on August 8th with a guest number of 105. but we decided to postpone to next August. I couldn’t handle the stress of the unknown. I kept checking the news/Twitter 3-4 times a day hoping to see something new. I would have been happy with just 50. But I knew It wouldn’t have been good for my mental health.
  • Stephanie
    Beginner July 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Jennifer i don't think you are selfish at all. I am turning 40 this year so I feel like I have been waiting forever. I postponed from last year and I am hoping at least older people will be vaccinated in July. But I know there will be masks and a smaller guest list.

• Miriah
    Newbie August 2022 Ontario
    Miriah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding is August 14th, I planned a small wedding with 50 people and having it outdoors. The restrictions always seems to be around 50 people, and more lenient with it being outside. I worry more about the curfew for drinking that was previously set though (usually cuts out at 11pm)!

• Ally
    Beginner May 2021 Ontario
    Ally ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi There,
    I’m not in August but I’m having my wedding in May. We’ve already postponed so regardless of covid we are still having our wedding. I’m hoping we can have a somewhat normal wedding with out 150 guest list but if it has to drop down we’re okay with that. Just trying to hope for the best but it’s a little hard when cases are going up.
  • Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I just watched a really encouraging video about vaccine rollout. It’s on CBC today. It’s an interview with the health minister. It’s been September as a goal but it’s looking good and it looks like they are going to hopefully push it forward by months!!
  • N Lewis
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    N Lewis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am! My date is August 27th. Ive been planning a 50 person wedding, but I'm starting to go to plan C and just do a wedding (ceremony and reception) with just immediate family. Just focusing on the joining of our love and our families. It feels like less pressure and less covid related stress.
  • A
    Newbie August 2021 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours is suppose to be August 7th. We are waiting closer to the date to see what we are doing but we will be getting married that day still either way. We were going to have around 50 guests originally but if that’s not allowed then we are both okay with an elopement. I’m 30, he’s 36. We’ve been dating 5 years, best friends for 9 years. We are just ready to start our lives together!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I do hope your August wedding takes place without any more obstacles occurring your way. The restrictions are just a roller coaster of numbers going high and low. Some venues will change without charging penalties. Best to inquire when you call to speak to them personally.

• Laura
    Newbie July 2022 Manitoba
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My date is August 28, 2021 and I’m quite nervous about all this Covid business, honestly. We’re hoping that things start opening back up and restrictions loosen, but I’ve got a gut feeling that it won’t pan out that way. We’re considering possibly moving ours to next year Smiley sad
  • Alison
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our original date was August 29th, 2020. We had a small ceremony only on that date with just immediate family and bridal party (+ spouses). We postponed the reception until August 28, 2021 and planned to do a symbolic ceremony/vow renewal. It’s a little heartbreaking to think we still have the same worries as we did when we originally postponed last April.
    We originally said if we couldn’t do it the way we wanted this year, we wouldn’t bother postponing again. But the more I think about it, while our ceremony was special and beautiful, I can’t help but feel cheated that we didn’t get the full wedding experience with reception, speeches, etc. We had 30 people for our small ceremony, so the idea of only being allowed to have 50 seems silly as it would pretty much be the same people as last year just plus a few more...So we’re actually considering postponing until August 2022 to have the best shot of getting that.
    Plus, if last year taught me anything, it’s that I can’t handle the stress of watching the numbers and waiting to see what restrictions will be. It’s too much for me mentally!!

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I are going ahead with our August 7 2021 wedding as of right now in Kelowna BC. We already postponed our first date August 8 2020 back in May and don't really want to postpone again. The only way that we'd postpone again is if gathering sizes don't increase more then 10. We're waiting until maybe the end of March early April or even May before we make a final decision about the wedding.

• Stacey
    Curious July 2021 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

July 2021, postponed from July 2020. Our pre-pandemic count was 69 including vendors and some expected declines. I'm not optimistic for anything more than 50 indoors, and based on our room size and the previous capacity restrictions last summer, I think 30 (the previous limit) is more likely for us.

Even with vaccine roll out, in order for things to return to a more normal state of living, we would need to see several things: cases and test positivity rates drop, hospitals functioning without capacity concerns, a significant proportion of the population actually getting vaccinated (there is a lot of hesitancy) , and evidence that vaccination actually reduces transmission (we don't actually know this yet, meaning masks and distancing are still important, even if you're vaccinated, until we get further data).
    We are going to make a call closer to July once we know what is allowed, and then we will discuss whether we are actually comfortable with that number. I have already been vaccinated, but given that we don't know the effects on transmission, and given that some of my guests may still not be vaccinated by that time, I don't feel great about having a "normal" wedding this year, but I hope that I'm wrong.
    Having postponed once, I'd rather not dealt with that again. We tried to give ourselves the best chance by postponing, but with all of this uncertainty, there is very much that feeling of wanting to just move on and stop worrying about all of this...it really takes the joy out of it. As well, I try to remind myself that nothing in life is ever guaranteed.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I started planning our wedding back in 2018 it was supposed to be next month. I've seen my wedding count down at 785 days till event down to I think 120 when we went back up to about 400 days till our wedding. Its been crazy. Right now we are booked for Jan 2022 but with the way the numbers rise this time of year we may have to push it out another year! Who knows what is going to happen? We've been engaged for 8 years now. I definitely wonder some days if we will ever get married yet I keep planning 😊
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aw I’m sorry you had to postpone! I feel selfish at times for being a bit sad about being a Covid bride. I got engaged this summer so I haven’t even been able to have my bridesmaids get together (most haven’t ever met since they’re all in different cities). I also couldn’t have anyone but my mom and sister in for my bridal gown shopping. At this rate I don’t even think we can have any festivities up to the wedding which feels a bit sad since you (hopefully) only get married once. It’s ok though; we feel blessed to have each other and be safe and healthy.

I think my only frustration with Covid is trying to plan something so big when we have no idea what the world is going to look like in a month, let alone 8 months. We may have to postpone by summer if things are not shaping up.
    Oh well! At least we can find companionship with fellow brides and grooms on wedding wire who are going through the same experience!
  • Laura
    Newbie July 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are also in August, and we as of just today decided to postpone till 2022. I called my venue and they are very helpful and understanding. Sorry that we are all going through this. Being a bride is suppose to be fun and happy. So I'm hoping next year it will be a better year 😀 all the best to you, fingers crossed that numbers get better.
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh boy you’ve raised some interesting points. I think we’re also at a “wait & see” point. We won’t even be sending out invites or save the dates likely until April-May, and it’ll likely be just the 50 most important people. We plan to just do immediate family and close friends if that happens.

I agree that we don’t want to have anyone taking risks, and will be following a lot of the same protocols that you’ve mentioned.
    I’m so sorry that your venue is penalizing you for circumstances out of your control but you seem to have a very level head about it and a great plan! Fireworks sound amazing.
    Wishing us all a healthy start to 2021!!
  • Laura
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm supposed to get married at The Manor in Vaughan on August 21st, 2021. We will have been engaged for over 2 years by that point. Our original guest list is 180. I have a very large family, and most of these people are first-degree relatives and first aunts/uncles/cousins.

I would like to postpone it to 2022 and would take a weekday at this point since that is likely all that will be available in the summer/fall once we're finally allowed to reschedule. I'm not in a rush to get married since we probably won't start until at least 2023 and I want to be able to dance. There are also a number of elderly people that we want to be involved in the wedding, but even if they are vaccinated I would be concerned about other non-vaccinated guests attending. Many of my friends and I have been/will be vaccinated by then because we work in health care, but there are no guarantees about the rest of the people attending. I just have this fear that even if we do things as safely as possible we may be the source of an outbreak. I do not want my wedding to be remembered that way, and I know my colleagues would be judgmental if something did happen just because of where we work.

My venue is not being as flexible about postponing without penalty. If I were to do it now, which is 100% what I want to do, we would lose 60% of our original contract plus pay additional fees. Their current COVID policy is that they are only reassessing dates 60 days prior to the wedding, and will not let me know right now what my options will be at that time or if there will still be a penalty anyway. I'm waiting out til June now and as long as the penalty isn't huge my plan is to postpone.

If I feel obligated to go ahead with the wedding (ex. Venue says we can't postpone without paying a ridiculous fee) then we will do it with a much smaller guest list. Our COVID precautions will include mandatory masks unless you are eating, sitting in bubbles/families only, hand sanitizer stations (maybe even mini hand sanitizers as favours), no guest book because of the shared pen, no props at the photo booth, a contact tracing list with phone number + email address done in advance, strongly suggesting everyone download the COVID-19 app and get the vaccine if it is available, screening of all guests upon entry for COVID-19 symptoms and possibly temperature checks. We will hire entertainment since there will likely not be dancing and try to organize some games that can be played in tables/bubbles. Our venue also allows fireworks so we may do that to end the night.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, we'll be incorporating a live feed of some kind just because our original number is 250 and that's definitely not happening lol. And that's not even including our overseas relatives.

And holy moly, how many siblings do your mom have?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics