Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelsie
Master July 2021 Ontario

covid Blues!

Kelsie, on March 31, 2020 at 21:51 Posted in Before the wedding 0 41

I was so optimistic COVID would end before any of my bridal events but sadly that came to an end today.

Our venue has postponed our event booked for May 3 to June 13. We are very happy they were proactive and gave us the first pick of dates but still - my mom and I had printed things with the date on them that we will now have to replace but we're more happy we won't be putting our guests at risk (fingers crossed this is blown over by June...).

There's also a bit of drama with family on the new date as not everyone can make June 13.

Alas, we cannot control COVID and we're doing our best with what we've got.

I may put on my dress this weekend just to remind myself that I'm still a bride and regardless we will get married!

How is everyone holding up? What are some positives that are helping you get through? Have you had to cancel any bridal events so far?

41 Comments

Latest activity by Avery, on November 20, 2020 at 20:13
  • Avery
    Beginner August 2022 Alberta
    Avery ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same!! My date is next August, and I'm freaking out too. This isn't what I was wanting for a wedding. I don't want a 'zoom' wedding or an elopement. I want my parents and family and friends to enjoy a day with me, like its supposed to be.

• Vanessa
    Newbie July 2020 Alberta
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Kelsie,
    sorry to hear this. I myself have been going through a lot of the same.We just had to cancel my bridesmaids weekend.
    I have bought my dress and we are wondering if we should postpone too. My fiancé hasn’t got his tuxedo yet.We were doing the shopping for all that when this pandemic started.Our wedding is July 14th.Maybe we can just do the legal part of it with our kids and just our household but I am getting a little worried too.I just wonder if it would be better or more meaningful to do it right once.It can be stressful and a girl deserves her fancy wedding.
  • Brianna
    Newbie June 2021 British Columbia
    Brianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I made a plan B, which would be to have a tiny wedding (parents only) and the officiant and do a virtual wedding for everyone to watch. Like on Zoom and then everyone can watch and be involved still without risking anyones health. Best of luck to you!

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly you have to do whats best. the ones who care will make the effort to attend no matter what. its not like this is your fault in canceling the date. my cousin said to use the stuff with your original date on them and have a laugh about it

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm starting to feel really stressed! I dont know what to do. We're supposed to get married on June 20th in Saskatchewan and I've been trying to stay positive that it will still happen but it's getting harder and harder. I just find myself crying all the time not knowing what to do.
  • P
    Newbie December 2020 Quebec
    Presley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah okay, understandable... Well, i am crossing my fingers for you !!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We would be cancelling that’s why we’re crossing our fingers! Smiley smile we don’t have time to postpone unfortunately for a plethora of reasons.
  • P
    Presley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're technically not canceling it... just postponing itSmiley winking

Sending you positive vibes, and i wish you nothing an amazing wedding day! x

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Not much I can do if it continues lol. No one can control this - until then we’ll keep on planning our events as they are. Need to keep it positive!

Guest safety is paramount and if we need to cancel the shower and wedding, we will.
  • P
    Presley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey girl! I would honestly recommend waiting until we receive an official confirmation that we are free from the virus. I heard that it may continue until July!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our venue will likely hold off on any decision making until June. They’re dealing with April / May dates right now so July is still far off. We’re hopeful!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Some couples had cancelled their June weddings so the date became available. We hope it goes forward!
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm glad that they were able to get you first pick of new dates! I'm happy to hear that venues are accommodating due to the virus.

I'm trying to stay positive, although it is challenging when your stuck at home with nothing to distrate you. The wedding is in August, so I'm not as worried about that because so much can happen in those months. My bridal shower is supposed to be in June, so I am patiently waiting to see what happens and if the restrictions are lifted by then. If not, we will have to reschedule. Luckily, the invites havent gone out yet. My bridesmaids and my mom, however, have to do the planning through WhatsApp which can be difficult at times but they seem to be doing fine with it so far.
  • J
    Beginner June 2020 Ontario
    Jv ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In the same boat Smiley sad my shower was planned for May 8 and just today we were able to move it to June 12. My wedding is July 10 and with everything happening I would just rather move everything to 2021 as some of our bridal party is in Australia and I don’t even know if they would be allowed back in July. My dress might not even come, I can’t order bridesmaid dresses in time now... the stress is adding up! Our venue for the wedding has not offered any solutions for June/July weddings yet without paying penalties. Does anyone have like a “go/no go” date to decide what to do??
  • Jenn
    Newbie October 2019 Alberta
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's pretty amazing your venue had a date for you in June! Hoping everything works out for you!

• Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I understand. If that is the case then I will most likely have to postpone the wedding Smiley sad I will wait to hear any news updates... good thing my vendors have been great so far.. thank goodness..
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That was like me!! Lol I didn’t appreciate the shower until I felt I couldn’t have one (still on right now for June 13).

That’s too bad your family won’t be able to come ...but safety first. Better to know everyone is safe and healthy than risk it. It’s just so unfortunate Smiley sad
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They probably won’t open non essential businesses until those 12 weeks are up. My venue is closed until next week - I assume we will get an email from them extending their closures - unless of course something is worked out with the province but I think we’re very far from that happening right now.
  • Sasha
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I read that too... also another question I am wondering is when non essential businesses will be open again? Because that's what my venue is. Schools apparently will be back May 1st so that gives me hope..... if Covid measures will last another 12 weeks, does that mean non essential businesses will as well?
    All these questions I'm wondering...

Also, your venue should give your money back if there is an issue and they should be understanding if there are fewer people. But like I've said before - there is still time.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mom and I have not cancelled my June bridal shower yet, but I'm expecting to. A large part of even having a shower was because my future in laws would be making a rare visit from Wisconsin and I wanted to include them in as much wedding stuff as possible. I am supremely doubtful that Canada will be allowing anyone from the states in by mid June, and I'm beginning to worry about them crossing the border for our wedding in October.

It's weird, I didn't want a shower until I started to plan one and now I'm a bit bummed out about needing to cancel it. Postponing is an option but I don't think everyone would be able to make it.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're a little worried after the mayor said COVID measures will be in place for at least another 12 weeks - which brings us to June 24 (our bridal shower is now June 13).

If we have to cancel the shower totally for peoples health, we're fine with that - we just hope we get our money back. Our venue was also hesitant to agree to work with us if we couldn't get the minimum amount of people required for an event - we're a little worried about that.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm so sorry to hear that Smiley sad I never thought this would be happening that's for sure! We all need to stick together and just stay positive!

• A
    Beginner August 2021 British Columbia
    Arlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding date is June 20 as well and we are giving it another couple weeks until we decide to cancel. We have about half of our guests from out of town... but our close family is close.. so we are really up in the air with everything. It sounds like this will postponed but we are trying to stay positive through all of this. I am thinking we may be changing it to August or September... but who really knows. Stay positive ladies... this is not in our control and most important is your love for each other to get through this healthy.

• Lori
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Lori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is June 20 2020 and looking at possibly cancelling as it's going to affect all our guests and this pandemic doesnt look like it will be over by June. They are anticipating it to be until June and leaves us to cancel.
    Postponing just isn't an option for us as we had already postponed from 2019.
    This is just a sad situation for all us brides. I was optimistic but now it seems that my guests out of town will not show and also travel isn't going to he easy.
  • Sasha
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am getting married last weekend of June and everyone is telling me they think it will be fine. So it gives me hope. I've reached out to my vendors and they think it's too soon to decide on anything. My planner said her March & April weddings postponed to June so it gives me hope. Honestly just staying positive helps so much. We just have to wait and see... I'm waiting mostly for that "5 people or less" ban to lift.
    Also I did not have any bridal events planned before. But i know how important those are to most brides so i feel for you ❤
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Covid has brought so much stress to our lives.We have had to cancel 3 birthdays and my bridal shower so far..I cry daily worrying about our wedding plans but there is nothing anyone can do about it but have a back up plan.
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agreed!
    Stay Safe Everyone!!!!Smiley shame

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's so true - you have to think of the safety of yourself, your families and your guests. Its a really difficult time for everyone - I could never have imagined this at all.

Fingers crossed it works out for all of the June/July brides!

• Aimee
    Newbie November 2020 Ontario
    Aimee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My fingers are crossed for you too!

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I understand that.
    I am not a winter person either and the Venue we choose was because of the outdoor ceremony & Patio section we have outdoors, in the winter we of course would lose ALL of that.

I want to postpone to next year IF this extends into July. My FH disagrees and wants to marry right away regardless if its a Friday or Sunday, which I don't agree with. If I am spending all this money on a wedding, I want it to be when I want it to be at the very least!

It's frustrating, but things could be so much worse, one of us could have COIVD-19 & so many people out there are losing people, so I hate feeling stressed where there are so many terrible things going on, I am just taking it day by day & whatever happens, happens.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm trying to be positive about June - or I'll just get down in the dumps. Fingers crossed!!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fingers crossed it's only 12 weeks which brings us until June 24!! Our wedding is in July and we desperately want it to happen (safely, of course!). We'll be cancelling unfortunately if it can't happen in July Smiley sad

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics