Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Grace
Beginner October 2020 Ontario

Covid- 19 June 6, 2020 wedding

Grace, on March 20, 2020 at 14:59 Posted in Wedding reception 1 64
Hi to all my brides out there! what a crazy moment in time we’re currently in. My heart goes out to all of the brides that have had to cancel or postpone weddings thus far 💕

My wedding is June 6, 2020 in Peterborough, On. Our wedding has 60 guests. I am struggling to know if i should wait it out until mid April to see what is happening, or be proactive and reschedule for later in summer now.
i really need your advice.
TIA

64 Comments

Latest activity by Ely, on June 4, 2021 at 13:31
  • Rose
    Newbie May 2021 Ontario
    Rose ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is great!

• Ashleigh
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi there!!

Our wedding date is June 6, 2020 and we decided to wait until the beginning of May to make the decision on post poning. I guess I just wanted to hold on as long as we could, in hopes of having the wedding!! We have not made a decision but definitely lost hope on being married this Summer. I just received an email from my venue saying that our date is a go, as well as my florist. I was surprised to see these emails. I am not quite sure what to do, clearly for the safety of my friends and family we should post pone. However, is it even legal for venues to go ahead with weddings in June? Ours is in Muskoka, ON and was planned to have 100 people.

• Dolphins
    British Columbia
    Dolphins ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hello Denyse,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, it is very appreciated.

Actually, postponing is the best solution for us, as we are a small business, without any fee or extra charge, obviously.

It's been really struggling to take decision for having smaller wedding as Dr Henry said, under 50 people gathering (don't forget that includes staff members), BUT, how are you dealing with 6 feet social distancing for the dinner reception ? Like 1 guest per table AHAHAH, doesn't make sense at all!

So yes, definitely, postponing is the best thing to do Smiley smile

Thank you

Mylena

• J
    Beginner June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Jordan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is June 5th 2020. We have 150 guests plus venue staff. Waiting until may 5th ish to make a plan and have November 13th as a back up as we have already postponed once
  • D
    Beginner May 2023 Ontario
    Denyse ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My wedding was supposed be May 17 2020 back in march i called my venue to see if we could postpone, they offered July 18 2020.. However we decided to postponed into next year. I called my venue again and they gave me June 26 2021 and this are new date. The venue was great I thought i would have to pay extra but they told me my price is locked in so one less thing to worry about because my ceremony and reception is all paid for. For my vendors.. Most have been great and i was able to switch the date but unfortunately for some i had to forgo my deposits. I underdtsnd this is how they make their mony and most are small business owners and I'm sure its really hard for them at this time.
  • E
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Erika ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our original date was 6/6/2020. I was so attached to that date and I am heartbroken to postpone. We are in Niagara and 90% of the guests are Ontario residents. Ultimately we postponed due to the health and safety of our family, and that none of the other wedding events in May would happen, and they’re part of the fun and excitement (shower, stag and doe, bachelor(ette) parties. We have rescheduled to 10/17/2020 which is our 7 year anniversary, with a soft hold on a date in June 2021 because I think it will get moved again if I’m being honest. I would postpone for your sanity and the safety of your guests. June MIGHT be okay, but will guests feel comfortable and will it be so stressful leading up to the day waiting and wondering. I hope this helps ❤️
  • Dolphins
    British Columbia
    Dolphins ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello,

I'm Mylena banquet Coordinator in a Resort in BC, and also in charge of wedding sales.

For
    spring weddings we offered to postpone to the same date in 2021 as our
    deposit is not refundable. We are patiently waiting from government to
    see if we will be able to host June, July and August weddings.

As
    you are Brides/wedding couple from all over Canada, I was wondering how
    your vendors and especially Venue did they deal with you and this
    situation ?

Did you have your deposit back ? Total or partial or not ?

Did they compromise?

Thank you very much for your answers
  • Isabella
    Newbie May 2020 British Columbia
    Isabella ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding date is close to yours (June 5th)! My fiancé and I have not made any calls to postpone anything. We are waiting until at least the beginning of May to make any calls - we don’t want to be too hasty in this and then regret it but also partly because I’m still finishing of my semester of school this month and have a lot on my plate.

We do have a loose backup plan but are trying not to talk/worry about too much for now. Trying to be optimistic and give it time. I’ve already had some tears but will mourn that day if the time comes to and then maybe gain a new dream💕 (backup plan would be to get married legally married with only a couple witnesses and then keep all of our wedding plans the same for another date)
    Keep praying for June for now!
  • Emily
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My fiancé and I were supposed to get married June 2020 as well, we did the same as you. Every single day was so stressful wondering if we were going to have to postpone or not. The news isn’t looking good so we decided to pull the trigger now and postpone until next year. We’re disappointed but ultimately relieved that we aren’t worrying anymore.
    Everyone must be under so must stress being unemployed and such. We’re glad at this point we’ll be able to enjoy the day fully when it comes around next year.
  • L
    Newbie July 2021 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Grace,

I'm not sure if I will be helpful or not, but my Fiance and I just rescheduled our June 2020 wedding until next year (July 2021). It's devastating but I realized that the stress of the unknown was weighing negatively on our wedding experience. we have a mountain wedding of 100 people, and just wanted to snag a date that worked before they were all gone. I wish you the best!

Lisa

• M
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Mazza ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah keep positive.. we have had to postpone our wedding also all of our vendors have been great though

x good luck out there people x

• Eugenie
    Eugenie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes! I do hope so! Let me know if you end up rescheduling!
  • M
    Beginner July 2021 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

THANK YOU!!! That just made me feel soooo much better!!! Here's to hoping that we get our weddings in June...for everyone's sake really (it would be nice to get out again). Smiley shame

• Eugenie
    Eugenie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Having a back up plan helped me a lot. If it goes according to plan this year I’ll be super happy but knowing that I have a Plan B that all my vendors agreed to has put my mind at ease and helped me to accept that it might not happen this year. If it does happen this year, you’ll just be extra thrilled!!

I think dusty blues and sage greens would look amazing in the fall!! Add some gold accents and maybe some burgundy to create depth and honestly it’ll be amazing. You can easily do that by incorporating burgundy florals into your bouquets and adding some gold accents to your decor. Check out Pinterest!! Covid- 19 June 6, 2020 wedding 1Covid- 19 June 6, 2020 wedding 2

• M
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, that's a great idea. I try to remain so optimistic, but the news is so ominous; and i guess it never hurts to have a back up plan. I'd be okay with moving it a year to keep the vision, but my FH just wants to push to maybe the late fall, I guess I should be happy he's so excited to marry me lol! Our colours are blues and greens, but not fall blues and greens. Dusty blues and dusty sage, light greys....Maybe it doesn't even matter....

• Eugenie
    Eugenie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our vendors have said the same thing. Although the church where we are getting married did ask us to put in place a Plan B. Luckily our vendors are allowing us to set aside an alternative date that we could defer to if our original June 27th 2020 date doesn’t work out. I would recommend that for your peace of mind you do the same. Chat with your partner and vendors about alternative dates that they are all available for so that you know you have a back up plan. Many vendors will set aside an alternative date for you.

We personally decided to reschedule to June 2021 because we didn’t want to compromise on our vision and because who knows when this is all going to end.
    If you want to reschedule to the fall, what are your colours? There might be ways to incorporate new colours with your current colours to make it more “fall-y”.
  • M
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We spoke to our vendor last night and they said to check back in a couple weeks (I guess after the next lockdown) and hopefully they will have a better idea. I'm not opposed to rescheduling, because honestly that would alleviate some stress, but what would you do about your colours?

I already had my FH pick his suit colour, and bridesmaids have their dresses (all summer themed)...I'd like to do a fall wedding, but is it worth it if the colour pattern would need changing...or should I just wait till next year?

What would you do?

• Tanya
    Beginner June 2021 Ontario
    Tanya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello! I'm also from Peterborough - small world and am getting married June 27. Our venue as well as all of our vendors have penciled us in for an alternate date in 2021. We are having 120 people though, in which case we may need to cut back our guest list or just postpone. We are waiting until end of April/beginning of May to make a decision. I hope for you, myself and all other brides this goes smoothly.

• The Thomas'
    Newbie April 2020 Massachusetts
    The Thomas' ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hang in there

Im doin the sameSmiley heart

• Jenice
    Newbie October 2020 Ontario
    Jenice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the advice and I'm going to talk to my vendor once again and way my options. In all honestly this is my second wedding meaning I got married abroad and knew all my family couldn't attend so I promised a bigger one for everyone to come to financially. I hope it works out for you fingers crossed this will be over sooner than we think.
  • M
    Mohini ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My wedding is also October 2020 on thanksgiving weekend. I haven't done anything yet in terms of postponing and just staying positive/hopeful. I've continued the planning process, however, most of my guests are in Canada. We're taking precautionary measures though and have added "If you are feeling sick, please stay home" and have also mentioned that it is completely okay for those who do not feel comfortable traveling at the time on our save the dates. Hoping all of this gets better very very soon!!

• M
    Mohini ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My wedding is also October 2020 on thanksgiving weekend. I haven't done anything yet in terms of postponing and just staying positive/hopeful. I've continued the planning process, however, most of my guests are in Canada. We're taking precautionary measures though and have added "If you are feeling sick, please stay home" and have also mentioned that it is completely okay for those who do not feel comfortable traveling at the time on our save the dates. Hoping all of this gets better very very soon!!

• Kristen
    Beginner September 2020 Saskatchewan
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our Wedding is May 23rd and we will be making our decision around the mid April mark, as of now we are pretty sure that that date wont work out so i have already contacted out venue and band to notify that we ill possibly be rescheduling the wedding (these were our biggest cost for the wedding so i wanted to let them know first. My advice is to not make any decisions yet but to plan for the worst, contact your vendors and get all the info! (is there extra cost? what are the other dates available? what are there policies etc.) if you do end up having to postpone/ cancel.

• Eugenie
    Eugenie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I haven’t yet. We’re being advised by our vendors to wait a bit longer. My fiancé and I have already decided to wait until mid to end of May to make a decision and if we chose to postpone, we’ll be postponing to 2021.
  • M
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Did you reschedule yet Eugenie? I'm a June 27th bride, trying to remain optimistic but it's so hard!

• L
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Lyciae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you'd like my honesty, I rescheduled mine for next summer... I personally don't think this will be over this summer and anticipate multiple waves.
  • Jenice
    Jenice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm so glad to hear other brides are talking about this and I sympathize as a fellow bride myself who is supposed to be getting married this Thanksgiving weekend I dont know what to do either??? I have just given save the dates out was planning on invitation in May . The banquet halls says wait but many guests are unemployed and travelling from the USA? I'm so confused I need help too?
  • Kayla
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding was July 18th, 2020. We've postponed to fall now. The numbers keep rising so I pushed it ahead a little further, hoping for the best. Now having a fall wedding. October 24th, 2020.
  • Kristi
    Curious June 2020 Quebec
    Kristi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is June 20th 2020. I still want to get married with my love on that date to officialize it & the reception can be postponed to next summer then it’s not stressful. I already put the deposits down on the venue, photo booth, photographer and deejay. Everyone is so understanding in this situation which is awesome ❤️.
  • Natasha
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is June 20th. We’re hoping to keep our day! My venue advised us to follow-up in April. I’m already thinking about a plan B as I don’t want to change the date.
    We might have a small wedding at home. We live in a small house but, we hope our guests that we might have to cancel on will understand.
  • Raven
    Newbie June 2020 Manitoba
    Raven ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Mine is on my birthday June 17 you have better chance
  • Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content