Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Caitlin
Frequent user May 2018 Ontario

Couples getting married on 26/May/2018 in Ontario

Caitlin, on January 10, 2017 at 09:28 Posted in Ontario 0 4

Hey everyone! My name is Caitlin Smiley winking

We had to change our date to get the venue we wanted - which oddly enough we might not even get haha! But we're settled on this date now as it's not as much of a "hot date" as May 19th! We are debating between two venues;

One is 500$ deposit, 500$ for reception, and 500$ for ceremony. + catering

The other one is 1000$ deposit, no room fee if you cater through them. (So the deposit is for the food).

So we're leaning towards option 2, but it's less "glamorous" as option 1.

Our colours are light purple/grey

We are getting married in Chatham, Ontario. But currently live in London, ON.

We have a smaller budget (10k), so we're always looking for ways to cut costs (hense considering option 2 for venue lol)

4 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on January 3, 2018 at 09:57
  • Emily
    Beginner May 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Venue 1 is stunning but if it is out of your budget then you have to go with something that is more affordable and is going to still make you happy. Venue 2 is also gorgeous and if you can decorate it as you wish and add your options to it (for a more reasonable price) then that seems most logical Smiley smile

If you lived closer (I am in Ottawa ON) I would suggest going with rental decor from yours truly (me!) as I am just starting out and have tons of decor items available for brides on a budget.

Best of luck in your decision and happy planning!

• Tracy
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Go with option 2, it will look amazing when you are done.

the place i had my heart set on is a barn - it ALONE is 4500, no catering, no decor, no bathrooms even......i have to pay for everything in addition to the barn (which I get for 4 days - which is a bonus)...but sometimes it can't be about money.....I blew almost my entire wedding budget on the venue...because I had to have it....so I am now finding other ways to save. do what YOU need to do. enjoy - don't stress.

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Caitlin! I think having the option to decide more things yourself can definitely feel a lot more reassuring. Let us know what you'll choose! I feel like you have two wonderful options right there and that's amazing to start with! Smiley smile Did you ask them about cake cutting fee and tear down?

• Caitlin
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Venue 1
    This is the one that costs 1500$ + catering

Venue 1

The catering menu seems really good - they don't offer tastings though. It's about 30$ a plate. And we can only use one specific decorator (who in my opinion charges CRAZY prices.) We can't decorate ourselces. But it's such a beautiful venue!

Venue 2
    Free with catering

Venue 2

This one has not as much natural light, but we can uplight it and it'll looks stunning. It has tons of space for guests, and dancing. Catering is about 35$ a plate, they offer tastings, and we can decorate it ourselves, or hire anyone to do it. Which I like.

We plan on doing a lot of the backdrops and decor ourselves, but we will be renting centrepieces for about 18$ a piece.

Venue 2 is also right beside a hotel, which I also like. Less travel for out of town guests, because they can walk to the hotel.

Its definitely a tough decision, but in the end I think we'll end up going with option 2 so we can save money by doign things ourselves.

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Caitlyn! Smiley heart That's amazing! It's always good to have a plan B Smiley winking How do your venues look like? What food would they be serving? I thought you might like to have a look at these ideas:

4 tempting wedding food ideas

Food Trends for Weddings in 2017

My Low-Cost Wedding: Food Menu

I can't wait to see your ideas! Will you do any DIYs to cut down on cost? Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics