Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ivyo13
Curious August 2018 Ontario

Couples getting married on 18/August/2018 in Ontario

Ivyo13, on January 30, 2017 at 14:06 Posted in Ontario 0 7

Hi everyone!

My name is Ivy and my wedding day is something that I have been dreaming of and preparing for my whole life! My sister, 7 years my senior, used to bring home bridal magazines for me from her job (she worked at Birks) and I would spend hours perusing through, dog-earring all the dresses, ideas and pages that I loved.

I am an Ottawa-native (born and bred) now living and working in Toronto as an elementary school teacher. My fiancé is an American citizen, and newly landed Canadian Permanent Resident working in the field of technology in downtown Toronto.

Due to unique circumstances (re: immigration), my fiancé (legally husband) and I had a civil ceremony back on September 30, 2014. As he is an American citizen, doing this was the only way for me to sponsor him and bring him to Canada within a reasonable timeframe. After three years of living apart in two different countries, with lots of travelling back and forth between the two of us, he finally landed in Canada as a Canadian Permanent Resident in August 2016 (just in time, before those crazy US election results came to be).

Now that he's settled in, and we are more financially stable (yay, double-income, no kids!), we are finally planning the wedding that we never got to have.

Our civil ceremony in Toronto was unfortunately quickly put together, and only had two of my coworkers present as our witnesses (plus the officiant -- our families are in the US and Ottawa) so our wedding celebration on August 18, 2018, in Ottawa, will mean so much to us since we will have our closest family and friends there with us.

I am so excited to talk wedding planning with everyone, and to share my experience(s) throughout this process with other brides-to-be!

Ivy

7 Comments

Latest activity by Heather, on May 22, 2018 at 10:13
  • Heather
    Newbie August 2018 Ontario
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi everyone,

I too am getting married on August 18 this year. We will be having our ceremony outside (Please no rain!!!) and then chose a cheaper location for reception/dinner going with Royal Canadian Legion, and it will all be in Bowmanville (Just east of Oshawa). Getting super excited and a little nervous, the date is coming up so fast! I feel like there is still so much to do!

• Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I chose Aug. 18, 2018 because of what 8 means in Chinese culture.
    read my bio to see more about me
  • Catherine
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Ivy, hi guys Smiley smile

I'm really glad you're so excited about your wedding Smiley smile It's nice you finally get to have one.

My name's Kathy and I never actually thought much about weddings, went to weddings or looked at wedding stuff as a kid. I guess I thought the dresses were pretty.

Now I am doing the planning, I absolutely hate it. The stationary and flowers are pretty, but it just seems like so much money and stress and I have had more than one nervous breakdown and am constantly on the verge of just eloping.

I'm also, like, insanely thorough and detail-oriented in researching stuff, and I am finding you can't be that in wedding planning, because you will never be able to research all of your options - there are too many. You just have to sort of narrow it down, pick something, and hope that thing was right.

Is anyone else going through the same thing? Does anyone else hate the wedding planning?

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Ivy!

I know your post was almost a year ago but as another Ottawa Bride getting married on the same day I just wanted to say a quick hello - glad you are finally getting your special big day!

~Bree

• Helen
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey guys! I am Helen and me and my fiancé getting married in Cambridge on August 18th, 2018! Planning process has been a stressful but yet rewarding experience! We plan our wedding ourselves and definitely a bonding experiences for both of us! Congratulations to you Ivy! Happy wedding planning for you! Me and my fiancé decided to have a Christian wedding in the church, since both of us are Christian!

• Charlotte
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Ivy!
    My name is Charlotte and I absolutely loved reading about your love story. Mine is similar. I met my fiancé 9 years ago at York university where we both attended. He is originally from the Bahamas. He went back to the Bahamas in 2012 and we have been long distance since. Alot of travelling and telephone calls. We got engaged Aug 12 2017 and we are ALSO getting married Aug 18th 2018 ;in Toronto!! For immigration purposes we are going to have a quick court wedding in November so we can begin the immigration process.
    What is the immigration process like??
    I hope we will stay in touch! Congratulations to you!Charlotte
  • Ivyo13
    Curious August 2018 Ontario
    Ivyo13 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Emilie!

I do feel like my tastes and preferences have changed over time. I had always wanted to get married in a large, castle-like venue with hundreds of guests, but as I get older, I realise that my wedding doesn't need to be a spectacle. All I really need are my closest family and friends, good food + drink, a great DJ and lots of fun at my wedding (I need my groom, too, I guess! Smiley xd )

I prefer a long sleeved (lace) dress with sweetheart or deep-v neckline with a-line skirt, and our venue will be an intimate restaurant setting.

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Ivy! I'm so happy to meet you! I think you and I have a lot in common! Smiley winking It's so great that you've been dreaming about getting married and gathering ideas for your wedding all that time. I can't wait to see what they are! Do you feel like your tastes have changed over time?

I'm glad to hear you two finally get to be together! This is so amazing! Congrats to the both of you! Smiley heart

What style of wedding dress do you prefer? Do you know in what type of venue you'll celebrate your wedding?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics