Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chloé
Beginner October 2023 Ontario

Couples from different parts of the province, how did you choose your location?

Chloé, on May 2, 2021 at 18:55 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
I am originally from Northern Ontario and I moved in Southwestern Ontario several years ago for work. My fiancé was born and raised in the same region we now live in (SW Ontario). With my family and some friends being up North (and some in Québec) and his entire family and circle down here (as well as my new friends), I am not sure where I want to look at venues. Basically, we would have three options : my hometown, his hometown/our current city, or somehwere in between (I'm thinking Niagara or Muskokas).

If you have had a similar situation, what did you end up settling on? What were some factors that came into play in you city selection?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on May 28, 2021 at 12:53
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Given the locations of family in the north, sw and Quebec areas, You can choose to have your ceremony in your area sw and two receptions: right after the ceremony and one later in the north. I too have family that was coming for the states, west and east Ontario. I live in the sw too though I call it the middle point of the north. We had our ceremony just close by us as family and friends did make it out to celebrate with us to enjoy a new view of location. I know some friends and family that got married elsewhere had a second reception for locals who couldn't make it for the destination wedding or not invited to the actual wedding. This may give you an insight for what you be heading towards.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oops I did not post my reply on this post lol sorry
  • Chloé
    Chloé ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!
    We haven't really consulted our families yet, but I think they would also be impartial to location - they're all just excited we are finally getting married!
  • Charlotte
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m from Southwestern Ontario and my fiancée is in eastern Ontario, we also live in that area now. Both sides of our families said either area was good with them! Both kind of assumed it’d be in the other area. I started reaching out to venues of our taste in both areas! We then also had to consider guest travel and accommodation, dog sitters.... We ultimately found the perfect venue near my parents - covid came into effect so our venue and guest list has changed but still in the same area.
  • Chloé
    Chloé ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for ypur response! That's sort of the logic I am leaning towards at the moment.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband was born and raised in the Vancouver area and his entire family is here too. I'm from Alberta and my immediate family lives there. But my extended family is scattered all over, with most people living in Manitoba, but some in Alberta and BC.

We live in Vancouver now (I moved here about 7 years ago) and most of our friends are here. So it made the most sense to have our wedding where we live now, since a large portion of my family would have to travel regardless.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our minimum is 80 for our room. They have a bigger room where the minimum is much higher. We can have up to 120 in our room. We had our estimate on 100. So it really depends on what is in the contract
  • Chloé
    Chloé ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is excellent advice! Thank you!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's never too early to start planning! We got engaged in 2017 and started planning right after for August 2020. It good to get ideas on what you want and don't want early on. Venues and vendors do fill up fast. Some places do go 2-3 years in advance. Our venue (winery) is booking 2 years in advance. If you guys find something that you absolutely love and can't think of not having at your wedding don't hesitate! I know right now with covid, couples are worried about contracts and putting done deposits and such. But that is what contracts are for. To help the bride and groom as well as the venue and vendors. One piece of advice is when you do start putting deposits down make sure in your contracts you're able to move your money to another date if you need to. My fiance and I have been very lucky with all of our vendors and our venue over the past year with having to switch to a new date for the second year in a row with no hassle.

• Chloé
    Chloé ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm so sorry to hear you had to postpone and reschedule. I'm aiming for mid/late 2023 or even 2024. I'm certainly looking forward to the planning, which is why I'm starting early.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Of course hun, anytime! I hope you'll enjoy the planning process as much as I have!

It's just a waiting game for my fiance and I's wedding now since all the planning was done in 2020 (we just postponed for a second time last week to next summer)

• Chloé
    Chloé ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your reply!

I'm still in the super early stages of planning, so I appreciate perspectives like yours. You're right - it is our day and we should love the location, regardless of where it is.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm originally from Kelowna BC and my fiance is from Edmonton AB where we currently live. We knew from the very beginning even before we had gotten engaged that we didn't want to get married in AB. When we finally did get engaged, I threw out the idea that since I was a little girl I wanted to get married at this winery in Kelowna. I had showed him pictures of the venue and he was sold on the idea. We personally didn't think about our guests in a way lol because it is our day and whoever is wanting to be there, will be there no matter what. You guys should be happy about where you guys choose to get married in the end. You don't want to look back on the day and not regret anything!

• Chloé
    Chloé ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your reply! I was also weighing our guest list, and my people are pretty spread out so there's going to be travelling for most no matter what. I'm also leaning towards planning something here where we currently live for the same reasons you listed. It will be easier for me to plan and visit venues where I am now.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I grew up in Ontario but now live in Alberta. My Fiancé has lived in Alberta his whole life. My dream was always to get married in my grandmas backyard in Ontario. When we were trying to decide if we were going to get married in Ontario or Alberta, we wrote out our guest list and counted how many people from Alberta would have to travel to Ontario and vice versa. For us it ended up being about the same for each. We ultimately decided to get married where we live in Alberta because that's what would be easiest for us. I was worried about planning a wedding in a different province.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics