Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katelyn
Frequent user August 2018 Alberta

Cost of Wedding Ring

Katelyn, on October 13, 2017 at 21:20 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 40
What is a typical amount to spend on a wedding ring? Does it depend on the cost of your engagement ring? If he spent a lot on your engagement ring, does that mean you need to also spend quite a bit on your wedding ring? Or does it mean you can go more simple?
I’m looking at spending $4400, about 25% of what the engagement ring is appraised at, and it would be Tacori to match my engagement ring. I am not a jewellery girl, I have no idea what this stuff is worth! Am I out to lunch??

Cost of Wedding Ring 1

40 Comments

Latest activity by Megann, on August 8, 2018 at 18:55
  • Megann
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Megann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didnt get an engagement ring, my fiancé did. It costs me less than 300$. His wedding band costs me around 500$ and my wedding ring was 3500$.

Cost of Wedding Ring 2

Cost of Wedding Ring 3
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn’t base the cost of my wedding ring on how much my engagement costed. My engagement however was 3000$ and the wedding ring was only 600$, it worked out really well because it was actually the only band I could find that fit the curve of my engagement ring!

Cost of Wedding Ring 4
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My FH also wants a unique ring, he either wants it to have a meteor in it or be made of like gears or something. My band was about $700 so his will likely cost a lot more.

• Isabel
    Curious June 2019 Quebec
    Isabel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel like I’m gonna be alone on my team, but we spent just a little over 8K for the engagement ring and wedding bands. I figured we would have the rings forever. I wanted a sapphire ring too. I plan to spend a lot less on my dress and, dare I say, I don’t mind renting it.

Cost of Wedding Ring 5
  • Elise
    Beginner April 2018
    Elise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I spent about 1100 on my eternity band and my engagement ring was 2000 roughly. If you want to save, pick the tacori ring you want and get it custom quoted from a few places trust me you should save about 20-30%. I got my stuff from honest solitaire and i referred a friend to get a custom ring and they got quoted in less than a day.

• Sapphire
    Curious August 2016 Alberta
    Sapphire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It depends on the jeweller. Some big brands will charge more even for simple designs. Getting it done overseas can usually keep the costs down if you know the right people.

I was lucky that my uncle is a goldsmith in Hong Kong. He charged me $600 for an eternity diamond band and a plain band (both engraved and are in 18k gold). It was a good deal for sure.

My e ring, designed and made from a goldsmith in BC, is a trilogy sapphire ring in 10k white gold that was $1000.

Cost of Wedding Ring 6
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think price point really matters. My fiance just told me how much my ring was appraised for and my eyes went out of my head with 30 something diamonds in it. He hasn't told me where he got it from other than its just not from Winnipeg. Especially when I asked him if there was a matching wedding band/ring that would go with it. Chances are both of our wedding rings will have to be custom made as my engagement ring is very unique to me at least in design and his ring finger is a size 22. I know he doesn't want gold or diamonds. There is a company out of st. paul, Minnesota who makes dinosaur bone, whisky barrel, asteroid/meteoroid wedding bands and I thought that was amazing. unique. Do you. Some people I hear don't even have a wedding band just the engagement ring or they opt to have it tattooed on not my style but some people do.

Cost of Wedding Ring 7

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Less than $500

Cost of Wedding Ring 8
  • Tiffany
    Frequent user September 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There's no "typical" price point for a wedding band, it varies due to budget, quality, retailer.

That being said, I LOVE that Tacori wedding band. It's branded, so that that's a fair price to pay. You also have the option to look at private jewelers and see if they can replicate or make something inspired by the band. It will be a fraction of the cost of Tacori, if budget is a consideration.

My engagement ring was done by a private jeweler, so we went back and chose a thin half-eternity diamond band (~0.38 ct) and it was about a little over $1.1K

Something similar to this:

de372cadf14cdb2d6285fd7d423cf7f8--annive

Also, the appraisal value will always be much higher than what your Fiance paid for (I don't know why.. time value of money maybe?). I don't know how much my husband spent, but my ring was appraised around your value. All he said was he definitely paid less than the appraisal value. Smiley smile

• Katherine
    Curious August 2017 Ontario
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our rings

Personally, I think much more than $1000 for one ring is insane. If it's the ring you need than go for it. My wedding ring was custom made and gorgeous and cost 800 and his cost 500. I believe the engagement ring was around 300. Rings don't need diamonds to look gorgeous and shiny and everything you dream.

Cost of Wedding Ring 9

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You make a good point because my diamond is 1.02 carats but imperfect. I think it's near colourless but there's a spot in it.
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It really depends on the jeweler. Since you have the time to shop around, it may be worth visiting a few, showing them the design you want and seeing what they can do for you price-wise. Time is your biggest advantage - you can do lots of research and shopping! I have 2 wedding bands and I know that individually, they cost almost as much as my engagement ring to purchase, so it adds up quickly. But like everyone said, so many factors go into it that it will definitely be worth your time to talk to some jewelers Smiley smile

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is an intricate design. Best to go to a few jewellers and get quotes (cost and time to make).
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow! That is 2.5x the diamonds for .5 the price!
    I didn’t choose the simplest design, I wonder if most custom jewellers would be able to do it, let alone for a lesser price?

Cost of Wedding Ring 10

Cost of Wedding Ring 11
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is SO pretty!! What is that style called?
  • Daphne
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    There are a lot of factors that go into the price of a ring. The quality of the materials and the intricacies of the piece seem to be where the cost of the ring is coming from. 0.36 carats isn’t that high, but the quality of the diamonds (color, clarity) might be quite high. To compare, my 2000 ring has .82 carats, but they are middle of the road in color and clarity, which is perfectly fine with me, they still look just as good as a better color and clarity, I just didn’t want to spend the money on that. I would definitely go to a jeweller and get a quote for a custom made ring. It will likely look just as good, or better.
  • Ashley
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like the 3rd band from the base of your palm
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only have US averages - but in 2015 and 2016 in the US couples spent an average of $1800 on wedding rings!

When we went wedding band shopping I thought more about what style wedding band I wanted and how it looked with my engagement ring. Since I wanted more diamonds I knew it was going to cost me! Smiley shame

My wedding band was pricey, but I was also going through a local jeweler with a phenomenal (but not cheap) reputation so I felt really confident about the purchase.

Cost of Wedding Ring 12

Photo by Samantha Laffoon Photography

The rose gold ring is my husband's wedding band!

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Shoot I forgot to attach the pic. Here it is.

Cost of Wedding Ring 13

Cost of Wedding Ring 14
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Doing diamonds halfway is a way better options. Your rings will get alot of abuse and when you have diamonds all the way around its very easy for the fittings to come loose. Love the idea of the rose gold pave! Would look amazing!!! Really think about custom. You can have exactly what you want. It doesn't need to be Tacori to match. This is my engagement and wedding band that was made to wrap around it. I love it!
  • Daphne
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Mine is a half band of diamonds. The jeweller recommended that anyway, since you don’t see the other ones and they tend to chaffe the skin anyway.
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s why mine is more $$ than “normal” I guess - because it has diamonds and not everyone does a wedding band with diamonds? I think I might cut costs a bit by just doing diamonds halfway around and dropping down a level on the carats.
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well it’s Tacori to match my engagement ring and .36 carot. Like I said - I know virtually nothing about jewellery! My engagement ring has a very thin pavee band. I wanted to get a wedding band that is somewhat unique from the engagement ring - not just a matching pavee band. So I found this one and it’s still a thin band but with a bit more detail and I hope to do it in rose gold!
    https://www.tacori.com/ht2558b12
  • Daphne
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We spent 2000 on my wedding band, but that’s because I wanted one with diamonds. Hubby’s band cost 225. You should get a band that you like based on how it looks not how much it costs. There is no specific amount you should be spending, only what you can afford/are willing to spend.
  • B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That seems really expensive to me I don't understand why it's so much Hahah my engagement ring was 3000 and both of our wedding bands we're 500-600. 3000 grand was a lot to us but doable. Why is your wedding band 4400?
  • Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I spent around $700 on my wedding band and my husband spent $200. It depends on your budget and what you like. There is no rule. I personally think $4500 for a wedding band is a lot of money but each to their own. Do what is good for you and definitely get it insured.
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mine was $140 LOL. I liked how the simple band went with my solitaire. I would get what you like and what you can afford. We didn't want to finance anything.
  • H
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Hj ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hope you find something that you like!
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, it is insured! It was insured before the proposal ha. That would be very special to have a family heirloom like yours!
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I had NO idea! We had talked about it, we knew we would get married one day, but I didn’t think he’d actually saved up for a ring or would anytime soon.
    In airport security, he was being borderline rude to the lady, which was out of character. He was trying to get her to just tell him what shape she was looking for in his bag so he could find it for her. By the time she found the mysterious object, the ring box was the only thing left in his carryon! Forced airport proposals must be a fairly common thing for that reason??
    Part of my job is designing bridges, and he chose to propose on the beach in front of the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset. It was perfect. If I had had any conception of ring value and if it hadn’t been insured, I’m not sure I would have been able to wear it until I brought it home and got it insured! Let alone you being in the UK!
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love that he insured it BEFORE you left! Good thing they didn't take out the box OMG! Even if they did, it would have super cool for him to just propose to you in front of airport security! Would have made an awesome story too!!!!;; Did you suspect at all?
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right. We’ve only looked at one place (where the engagement ring was purchased from), and they never even asked if we had a budget. So I had no idea if this was just what it costs?? I do REALLY like the ring, but I think that we would be paying a premium to get the designer name, but I have no idea how much. I think we will check out a few (or many) stores to see what my other options are and what other jewellers recommend.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics