Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Expert September 2020 Ontario

Coordinating decor take down

Emily, on February 18, 2020 at 10:54 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 13
Hi fellow planners!

I’m wondering how you are coordinating taking down the ceremony decor after the ceremony is done, also at the end of the night when the reception is done. I have 2 different venues for ceremony then the reception. I am not hiring a day-of coordinator.
I was thinking of asking some family and friends to do it... is that what people normally do?
Any help or advice would be appreciated!!❤️

13 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on February 23, 2020 at 23:10
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love lists!! 😍😂
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    A lot of my family have been offering now so I think that’s the way to go! Unfortunately we have to pay an extra fee if we want to clean up the next day so we don’t want that! I think I’ll put a little team together of all the people who have offered to help Smiley smile thanks!
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, family is the best way to go. Once the formals are done outside the church, my family will head back in and remove the ceremony decor since they have a couple of hours before cocktails. As for the reception, we just need to have the garbage thrown out at the end of the night and we can go back the following day for take down. We bought most of our decor so we are going to head back prior to the gift opening and pack everything up. But our family and wedding party will help with all of this, same as the set up.

• Natasha
    Devoted May 2021 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For ceremony decor id ask a non immediate family member or group of friends who will be driving to reception venue anyway. Bridal party usually won’t have cars if you have a limo or space if you are car pooling. Also BP and immediately family are usually needing to be taking pictures after ceremony. For the end of the reception the bridal party can help with that and honestly from experience at my job ( I work for a venue) usually whoever stays till the end ends up helping.
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh great idea about the list! this way everyone who is helping can check the list to see what else needs to be taken care of.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah i would ask my wedding party. our decor lady includes clean up in her fee so lucky i dont have to worry about this!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say wedding party, or some people in your family that you can trust.
    We had our ceremony and reception at the same place. Thankfully I didn't have to do much decorating at the ceremony. I had an unplugged ceremony sign, which I ended up donating to my venue to use for future weddings because I forgot about it.

For the reception, the wedding party and my family stayed back to help pack everything up and make sure it got in someones vehicle so it ended up at a family members house!

Having a list of what you brought and what needs to be taken home is the best to make sure nothing is forgotten

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had our wedding party do this, but our venue for the ceremony was the same as the reception so it wasn't like we needed them with us to go somewhere.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are going to assign a few people to make sure it gets done and that the decor all makes it to one central place (my parents house) for storage or returning rented items. I figure if we need 4 people we will ask at least 6 in case someone has too much to drink and can't be trusted to handle string lights and candles.

We are keeping our decor simple so that tear down shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. The hardest part will be our arch made out of books that needs to be taken apart and loaded.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our decor vendor is going to come and take everything down for us. We'll just need to clear out the fresh flowers and centrepieces ourselves.

Our parents will help us collect these at the end of the night.

• T
    Curious September 2020 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friends and family have already offered to help us take everything down, however we are doing ours the morning after because we are having the wedding at one of my bridesmaids' farm. It doesn't usually take too long to take things down, and at every wedding I have been to friends and family are always more than happy to help out if it means less work for the bride and groom!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Usually decorators come with the labour to setup and take everything down. You can check if your venue coordinator will help with that. If not, I would ask the bridal party before asking family. I would feel bad having to ask family to remove themselves in the middle of festivities to oversee such tedious tasks whereas your bridal party technically signed up to work the wedding in some capacity. Just make sure it's not a physically demanding role. Even if you have big strong people in your bridal party, I personally wouldn't ask them to do too much physical labour. Hire the muscle if your venues don't come with the manpower. Even light items can be big and awkward to carry and having people in heels/suits make multiple runs after a ceremony would not be fun and can make them a hot mess for the reception.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Family and close friends are always there to give a helping hand when needed to break down after the event is done. My sisters and brother helped out to put the items into piles for rental, keep and throw. Not much time was taken and set a time that you can have the wedding party help too for those that haven't drank too much.

It does help if you get everything out to sort when ready to pack up. It will be a good time to have laughs, fun and everyone you love around you until the end of the night.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics