Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Newbie September 2023 Ontario

Contracts- Force Majeure

Svetlana, on August 25, 2021 at 07:03 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone else seen this omitted from contacts they are signing or reviewing. 🧐Force Majeure states that if the vendor cancels due to unforseen reasons such as your venue having a fire/flood, maybe a tornado causes damage, that the venue would reimburse your costs. 🤔
Thanks for your insight!

8 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on September 3, 2021 at 14:51
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Interesting terms of fine line print on contracts which Covid isn't being followed by venues. Hard to believe couples have to pay more for this and realize this would be a scam in a way to not get away with to lose that amount paid.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If the venue is legally allowed to operate (even with restrictions) but you choose to not go through with it, they are well within their right to charge extra for a date change. While there are some horrible venues who tried to force couples' hands during a lockdown (which isn't right), there are also a lot of couples who postponed when they didn't need to all because things like needing to wear masks, which is not a valid reason to cancel legally speaking.

• S
    Svetlana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've been hearing this so much from couples that were originally supposed to get married in ****. It's horrible. I know someone how's friend was to be be married at a very reputable location and they charged her everytime they had to reschedule due to covid. I can't imagine.
  • S
    Svetlana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! You've give us lots to think about.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A venue is not entitled to reimburse anything beyond the deposits you've given if such an event forces the cancellation or postponement of the event. If you're expecting the venue to reimburse you for the additional flowers you'll need to buy or additional hours for the photographer, that will never happen. That's what wedding insurance is for.

I would ask for a force majeur clause on the contract, regardless.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lots of vendors are not honouring this piece of the contract due to COVID.

I will say this depends on the nature of the dispute and the wording of the contract. There are many instances in Canadian case law now where vendors did break the rules and couples are entitled to their deposits back but also many where the couples had zero legal standing and vendors were entitled to keep the deposit.

• Kara
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our contract does have one and the venue did not honour it. Lots of vendors are not honouring this piece of the contract due to COVID. It’s a way for them to make money and up charge. It’s totally legal as well apparently.
    Whether or not you have one, doesn’t matter, but I recommend purchasing wedding insurance specifically.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All of our contracts have this in them. But my fiance and I have been dealing with our venue and vendors for more then 3 years (having to postpone twice as well) and we've been grandfathered in with the same contract. If I were you I would ask the vendors about why this isn't in their contracts. I would be a little alarmed signing something that didn't include that clause.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics