Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Courtney
Super July 2018 Ontario

Compromises

Courtney, on April 3, 2018 at 11:46 Posted in Before the wedding 0 14

I still find it amazing how many issues there are to navigate around Family and Friends when it comes to weddings. When I got engaged, and asked my 4 best friends to be a bridesmaid, I didn't imagine the drama it would cause that I didn't ask my FSIL.

9 months later and things are a bit better. But now we've come upon my Bachelorette party. A date has been picked, which just happens to be 2 days before my FSIL is due to give birth. I'm worried there will be some grumblings that its another thing I'm 'leaving her out of' but it wasn't intentional, It was the only date that worked for me or my bridesmaids!

We've invited her to the event, but she's already brought up that she's due two days later.

As a compromise, I've asked her if she would like to do a 1 on 1 event with just her and me, movie night, food night, spa day, depending on her needs with the baby. I've told her I'd love time with her (we've also asked her to do a reading in the ceremony as well to have her more involved).

My question is.. fair sort of compromise? Should i be doing something more?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on April 17, 2018 at 09:51
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is nice that you are trying to accommodate her situation and make time for her to feel included. I think it is a nice compromise and will probably make her feel special if she agrees to anything eventually.

• Lucy
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Lucy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Honestly though, sometimes you do have to compromise for other people's schedules - it just depends how important it is for you to have those people at your wedding/shower/bachelorette. My aunt is a teacher is Australia, my MOH has kids in school in one state and my BM has kids in other state system. I originally wanted an August wedding but switched it to July because if I didn't, none of those people would have been able to come and it was more important that they be there than whether or not I got the date I originally wanted.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since you will be sharing a family once you're married, I think it's important to try and offer a compromise, which you've done. If she doesn't accept it, you've still done your part. I don't think you have to try to come up with another compromise for this. Unless your fiance pushes you to do more, I think you've done what you can!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think this is very fair! A typical bachelorette party is... well a party! They are generally a little more wild with alcohol which is very not pregnancy friendly. I think trying to do something to celebrate just with her is amazing! And the fact that you're being open to what SHE wants to do shows even more care on your side!

• Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You already offered her time together. That's enough. It's your wedding and not her. You only need to follow your own schedules and not trying to match everyone's else. If someone can make it, they are welcome. If they are not available, it shouldn't be on you.

I have kind of similar but slightly different situation. I only have one sister and when I told her bout the date of our wedding, she complained. She said she won't be able to come from half the world away cause her only daughter would be back to school in August. She asked me to change my wedding date to July to accommodate her daughter's school schedule. I told her it's my wedding and I decided when I would have it. If she couldn't come because of her daughter, then she doesn't need to come. I am honestly very disappointed because she's my only sister. But I stood my ground and would not compromise following other people's schedules.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that's a totally fair compromise! Sometimes people have to miss events and that's totally ok, so you're going above and beyond by planning an extra day with her. Just make sure she knows you would have loved to have her there but your maids chose this date, but you'd love to have some one on one time with her to do some sisterly bonding.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's already offering more of a compromise then I would have. You can't please everyone.
    Rght from the beginning we said that no family would be in our wedding party to avoid a bunch of drama. My bachelorette is my bridal party and I going to Dominican for a week so that there is no drama that way either. Everyone else has the bridal shower to come to which will be a nice gathering and that's it, so far no drama from this arrangement Smiley smile
    if she doesn't go for the one on one option I wouldn't worry about it, and I wouldn't worry about trying to do more of a compromise either
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If she can't accept something one in one then honestly that is her problem. You're not obligated to invite or include her in YOUR things, it's your choice and she should appreciate that regardless of is she is upset about not being a bridesmaid. Unfortunately all weddings have bumps and honestly most have lots, this is just one that you will get over and come out of. You've offered her another option for her to celebrate with you and if she turns it down then you did your part. Having her do a reading is a great idea too! So don't worry, you don't need to offer anything else. You're good!
  • Brenda
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Brenda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had so many bumps in the road and even had a Bridezilla moment. I have all family in my party and it was like pulling teeth and I know I was beyond fair. Sometimes to compromise is ok but offering the 1 on 1 is more than fair.
    You need to feel comfortable setting boundaries and your bridesmaids need to allow you to shine. I am usually pretty slack and easy going but when push came to shove I couldn't do petty drama so.
    Feel comfortable and go eith the flow take some time to reflect and know you made the right call.
    Sending some comfort and direction your way Smiley flower
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

To try and adjust/compromise at all is enough. You're thinking of her, and her feelings. You are the bride though, so it's not your job to completely put yourself out for her feelings. It's nice that you have found ways to include her, and have reached out to make her feel special.

If you were a bridezilla, you would probably be mad she has the audacity to get pregnant before your wedding... haha!!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I believe your doing lots! I wouldn’t worry and that’s awesome you asked her to do one on one, if she doesn’t take it then her problem but you did come up with solution and tried
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Awe it’s nice of you to offer a 1 on 1 day maybe it would have meant more to her if it was offered before she had to complain that she’s being left out again? Or did you guys make sure to tell her that right away? I can sympathize with her that she wants to be apart of your day and events although, I don’t think there’s much more for you to do, I like that you asked her to do a reading at the ceremony to involve her!
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that's a fair compromise. You're asking to spend special one on one time with her and involving her with the reading. The date is the only date that works for you so I can't imagine what more you can possibly do!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you need to do anything more. You guys picked a date that works for you and your bridesmaids and you still invited her, despite being pregnant. You also offered the 1 on 1 with her. I feel you've done enough. This time is supposed to be about pleasing you and making you happy. Not her.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics