Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Frequent user May 2021 Ontario

Colours based on season??

Megan, on October 29, 2019 at 09:38 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 19

I had wanted to have a January winter wedding, but our dream venue wasn't available. We decided that the venue was more important than the season and ended up booking our wedding for May 2021.

I had wanted to go with a colour scheme of burgundy, navy blue, and gold, because they're beautiful deep winter colours. I am still so partial to these colours, but I feel like they will feel heavy in the spring for a May wedding. I could switch to blush and neutral colours, as I'm not a fan of bright colours.

Anyone else switch the season of their wedding but stick with their original colours? Or do you think it will feel too dark and moody to keep winter colours for a spring wedding? Or do I say screw it, I'm the bride, and if I want dark colours then gosh dang it I'll have my dark colours!!

19 Comments

Latest activity by Taylor, on November 8, 2019 at 19:54
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is still early enough in the year for those colors to be just fine.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Colour twins!

I’d say gosh darn it, you’re the bride, keep your dang colours! (Though I’m a little biased). But the good thing about that palette is it’s also a very rich and sophisticated scheme so you can play it more as a modern wedding and keep the seasonal for accents.
  • Veronica
    Newbie October 2024 Quebec
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm also getting married in May 2021 and we're doing red and gold. I think many would consider our colour palette more for fall or winter but red is my FH's favorite colour and I love the combo of red and gold. We're probably going to try to soften it a bit with lots of white flowers.
  • M
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I've decided to say screw it and keep my dark blue! I'm going to swap out the burgundy as the primary colour and do blushing neutrals to add a bit of that spring lightness, but then keep burgundy incorporated in as an accent colour! And the gold will still be in too Smiley smile y'all have got me so excited about this Smiley heart

• M
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Being the black sheep of the family is exhausting, but someone's gotta do it! Smiley winking

• Christine
    Newbie July 2022 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am getting married October 2, 2021 because it is a sentimental date (will be exactly 8 years that day since our first date) and I want nothing to do with traditional fall colours and decor... To my sister’s (MOH) dismay 😂. Pink is my absolute favourite colour. I am going to have light pink and silvery grey as my colours. “But it will clash with leaves for pictures outside!” Says my sister. I told her “oh well. Then I won’t take leafy pictures” 😂. My sister is very anal about colours and appearances. She went to school for graphic design. I’m A bit of the black sheep of the family and don’t follow societal expectations hahaha. I’m giving my poor sister a run for her money and it is still 2 years away 😂❤️
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If those are the colours you love, those are the colours you should use! You can maybe introduce a few blush tones or even just pale/soft shades of your colours to lighten it up for spring, but you won't need much. Sounds beautiful ❤
  • M
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! This made me feel so much better Smiley smile

• M
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds so cool!!!

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think those colors will be just fine for a spring wedding. I'm also getting married in the spring but my colors are more for the fall. But I chose them because I liked them and they represent something important to my fiance and I.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Go with the colours you want! We did the same colours for our fall wedding and it didn’t look as dark as I thought it would together. We softened it up a bit with blush and ivory in the flowers and then gold accents where we could put them.
    At the end of the day, it’s your wedding and you both have to like the colours and style!
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married in fall and I had a great color scheme set up. But was still unsure. So we took a different approach and decided to do a B&W wedding. I'm am completely happy with it too.

It was overwhelming trying to coordinate everything.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say go with the colours you love! Its your day!

Maybe consult your florist and ask if they can soften the pallet with the florals! May is an awesome time of year and you kinda have ALL the amazing flowers available like peonies.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I picked colors based on what colors i like loll. you can go with your original colors i think they would look nice!!

• A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding falls over Thanksgiving weekend and there will be no sign of pumpkins or any fall colours at all. Don’t get me wrong I love the fall and all that it brings, but our colour scheme is a midnight/regal blue and gold with a touch of blush in the florals but not too much. If the colours you have Chosen are something you have always wanted then I say go for it.

• D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you love those colours don't compromise our wedding is in June and our colours are deep royal purple and blue. So season isnt a big deal unless it bothers you.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say go with the colours you and your FH want! We had a fall wedding and couldn't agree on a colour scheme so we went with our favourite colours of Teal (for him) and Plum (for me). To make it more "fall" themed we added copper as our main colour so the others were not as in your face and like a peacock.

Maybe for your colours you could stick to burgundy and navy and make it rose gold? Even if you don't - gold is good for any season!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would go with the colours you love. You can always mix in a few of the blush colours too. It really does make it dramatic when you have some of the lighter colours mixed in with the darker ones. I was set on the dark cranberry and burgundy, with silver but then I saw some bouquets that had some pinks/blush in them too....WOW. I am not someone who ever thought I'd have anything pink at my wedding. Check out colour palettes that have all the colours you love. I'm sure you'll find the perfect one for you. So mine are burgundy, blush, ivory with some grey/silver.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Even before FH proposed I had colour schemes picked out for all the seasons lol so I wasn't disappointed when it came down to having to choose when. I love your colour choices and those were actually mine if we were to have a winter wedding, except it would've been silver instead of gold. I'm not a fan of bright colours either and this day is about reflecting you and your FH, so I say go for it! I was at a spring wedding and the main colour was midnight blue, and the dark colour was nice because it stood out amongst the paler colours in the surroundings

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics