Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert August 2021 British Columbia

Collecting guest info

Sarah, on March 28, 2019 at 17:37 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14
My coworker insists that I have to send the save the dates a year in advance and to send the invitations 5 months before does that sound right?How soon did you collect everyone’s info?I would be worried about people moving before I send out the save the dates and invitations.

14 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on April 1, 2019 at 18:20
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ugh I hit reply by accident lol.I have 515 days before the big day but I’m ready lol.We will be doing our engagement photos at the 1 year mark and I was planning on sending the save the dates when I get the photos back.Now I’m concerned that it might take awhile to get those 😳 my dress is ordered and should be here in August because I made the mistake of just taking a peek at dresses and fell hard for the first one...My fiancé is the one that picked it off of the rack lol.My DJ and photographer,venue and bartender are all booked and now I’m on the mission of locking down my officiant and doing the final purchasing for decor.In all reality I could get married this year but August.29,2020 called out to us.We are paying cash for everything and will be entering into our marriage debt free so I can’t conplain too much about waiting.
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My venue is booked,dress is ordered and everything is lined up and ready to go with only
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't have time to send the save the dates - but when I was going to do so it was going to be at the 1 year mark. I would say send them as soon as you have the venue though - no such thing as sending the STD's too early!! They are literally meant for sending really early!

As for when the invitations go out, we are sending them out around Easter so we can hand deliver most if not all of them and that will be roughly 5 and a half months to the wedding. We do plan on sending a second wave of invitations after we have received the "No" RSVP's to try and get as many people attending possible and those will go out around the 3 month mark.

Collecting information right now! Should be good to go by the 21st for English Easter and 28th for Ukrainian Easter!

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think for out of town guests 1 year is normal and maybe 8-10 months for other guests. I would send your invitations 3 months before your date and you can start collecting addresses anytime, just pick away at them.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My cousin is getting married in September and sent her Save the Date out in February. The invitation will be most likely be sent out 2 months prior. The reason for her saying 1 year ahead for out of town family making plans for travelling beforehand.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did send out our save the dates a little earlier than normal (about a year prior) because we know that everyone likes to schedule vacations and travel in the spring so we didn't want everyone doing that and missing the wedding so we gave them LOTS of notice. Whenever someone moves we ask them for their new address immediately. Thankfully most people are moving after the wedding so it will be the Thank You cards that they might miss out on. There really isn't a "too early" so much as a "too late" when sending out save the dates and sometimes the invitations.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

OMG.... Okay... I have had like 6 people move during the course of my save the dates and invites hahah! It's mildly annoying but also not hard to just follow up with people to give you a new address!

I did 8 months before wedding for Save the Dates and 5 months for Invites! No complaints and things are going smooth right now!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I started ASAP to get guests info so I could sent Save the Dates 9 months before. For invites, I might confirm/send anyways and deal with it later if something bounces back. Most people set up mail forwarding when they move so their mail gets to them.

I also know most of my guests are active on social media, and I would be able to see if someone's moving and ask for the right address. I'm sending invitations at the 3 month mark.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like the other ladies have stated, it all depends on how many out of town guests you have, if they have to travel far to the wedding etc.

I started sending out our Save The Dates at Christmas to the family that I saw. I started collecting addresses super early from family. I just got information from my in laws this week (a whole 4 months almost lol.) So make sure you give yourself time for some information that is slow to come in.

We will be sending out our invites in June / July as we have a September 1st RSVP date to make sure we have numbers early enough for our venue.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its up to you if you do save the dates. If you have a lot of out of town guests then I would recommend it, but if not then you don't have to. 4 months would be plenty for your invitations. I started collecting peoples info when I had an engagement party. If you happen to see people then get their info. If you want to wait then start getting info 2 months before mailing things out.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’d start collecting people’s info ASAP. It takes a surprisingly long amount of time to get them all. I gave FMIL a list of names from their side that I needed addresses for and it still took her months to get it back to me. My FH is still getting last-minute addresses of late additions that we spoke about post-save the date but pre-invitations.

As for when you should send them out, I’d get them out at the 10 month mark and then send out your invitations at around the 4 month mark.
  • Gabrielle
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Gabrielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We sent our save the dates a year before due to my family being from out of town. We sent our invites 5 months only because post canada was on strike and I was worried about them not being sent out on time in case the strike continued. Some people thought i was early, some thought i was organized
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Awesome thank you 😊
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There aren't any hard and fast rules, but I think a year is probably pretty common for save the dates. However 5 months feels early for invites, I would say around the 3-4 month mark is when they should go out. I only collected my guests' info about a week before I was going to send stuff out. I wouldn't be worried about people moving, most of my friends have made arrangements to have their mail forwarded after they move.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics