Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sonja
VIP September 2017 Ontario

Cohabitation or not?

Sonja, on August 2, 2017 at 22:05

Posted in Living together 39

There's a lot of controversy regarding cohabitation. Do you think it's better to live with your fiancé before the wedding, or wait until you're married?

There's a lot of controversy regarding cohabitation. Do you think it's better to live with your fiancé before the wedding, or wait until you're married?

39 Comments

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bethany, this time around I'm also waiting until we get married to move in. I have been able to find out his issues and vice versa while still maintaining my independence. There were other practical reasons for me staying in my house. My last child will be 24 and has just got a job that pays enough so he can soon live on his own.

• Alexa
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have been living with my fiancee for 3 years I think you should live with someone before marrying them. That way dont have to worry about stress of being newlyweds and learning abour each others habit. My fiancee and I fought over little things for first 3 months before we got used to a routine.
  • Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, Erin. I guess that's why the majority of couples move in together. The only drawback (and I've seen this before) is that often the woman wants to get married after a period of cohabitation, but the man thinks everything is fine the way it is. So the woman is left disappointed and discouraged.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, we all have annoying habits. Sometimes people move in together for practical reasons too, such as to save money, or the other person lives closer to work.

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I get that it's good to live together before hand and work out living habits.. however, I wanted to get married before we moved in together. That's actually the reason we are getting married. I want to be motivated to work out all these quarks that are inevitably going to arise. Not that I wouldn't be before, but I know he's a good guy, I know I want him, I don't want it to be easy to just call it quits. I want this marriage.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it is a good idea to cohabitate before the wedding. Living with someone is a big adjustment that would be compounded even more by being newlyweds. It'll give you both time to figure out your living flow if that makes sense.
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We live together very well... I'm fimilar with his annoying habits and he is familiar with mine... I'm very happy knowing that going into our married life.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics