Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Abigail
Newbie March 2022 Ontario

Civil wedding vs. Traditional wedding?

Abigail, on March 15, 2021 at 10:31 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6
So with the uncertainty of the pandemic, how do you future couples go about your weddings? i know how exciting it is to set a date and start sending invitations and booking venues, but do you have doubts that the pandemic might possibly cancel your wedding? or do you gravitate towards a civil wedding instead, (but most likely will work out more) yeah it might not be as memorable, but to those couples who just want to marry their significant other as soon as possible... what are you going to do? i am currently stuck in this position. Smiley sad who knows what will happen in the future 😣

6 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on March 18, 2021 at 19:15
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For the most part I have attended many wedding of the family, they have been traditional. Ours though was Civil with a touch of culture. One of which couldn't be done due to the Officiants license to be revoked. The other two cultural aspects took place as he stepped aside for them. It still adds that special touch to your wedding day no matter how what background you two are from. The other way is to have 2 weddings as its done for some couples to make their way to show their culture traditionally.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a civil officiant at our wedding, and that didn't make it any less special. We chose to keep some parts of our original plan by having our photographer, and dressing in our wedding clothes.

I truly believe you can make any ceremony (religious, civil, symbolic) as beautiful and meaningful as you want to! There's a celtic tradition of handfasting that some people view as an engagement, but others view of as a wedding before the wedding. We've thought of using it for our vow renewal when we have our reception. I know a lot of people have a picture of what a wedding is or needs to be, and if you want to/need to wait for that to happen that is just as fine!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A civil wedding doesn't have to be at a City Hall/civic centre (do we even have courthouse weddings?) Technically any non-religious officiant can show up to wherever and conduct a ceremony for you.
  • Margaret
    Curious December 2021 Ontario
    Margaret ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are just going to postpone for the “traditional wedding”. We are already practically married because we’ve been together for over 12 years and already live together. We just wanted to celebrate with friends and family so we dont really want to do a civil wedding
  • Kristen
    Devoted May 2021 British Columbia
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly I feel like you have so much time for positive change so you wont have to worry about your wedding to much. I would be gung ho planning if I was you! Smiley tongue Being a supposed to be 2020 bride it was so much more difficult to navigate through when covid was brand new. With vaccines being pumped out its looking more promising (for next year especially) We ended up postponing because we got selfish and wanted ALL our guests (Which was only 80 people) instead of just the 50 person limit due to restrictions. Which we really regretted at the time. Our new date is May 23rd and now we are down to 10 people. Technically 6 guests because our officiant and photographer count in that. Not going to lie were not even upset about it anymore. Were so excited for an "elopement" style wedding for the fact that it will be so intimate and romantic and not HECTIC. One thing we agreed on 100% was not just going to the court house to sign some papers and call it a day (over my dead body Smiley xd ). Were still checking all our boxes and doing everything we planned. Just on a way smaller scale. Your wedding will be what you make of it in the situation were in, regardless it will be a great day and memorable if you make it! Smiley smile

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have decided that if we can't do the traditional dance/party type of wedding we will have more of microwedding. I think the smaller weddings can be just as nice and memorable as the big fancy party. I want more than heading down to a court office, sorry if that sounded selfish, but we've waited so long for this day that I want it to have something of what we want. I don't want to compromise everything. I want to wear my dress and he wants to wear a suit and have pictures. If we have at least 50 we will be satisfied. So we plan for 50 and if things change and we can have 100 we are all set since there was never going to be more than 100 people invited 😊

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics