Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Karina
Newbie November 2022 Ontario

Church vs ceremony at the hall

Karina, on February 17, 2022 at 12:06 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9
My fiancé and I are tore between doing our wedding at the church or the hall where we are having our reception.
My fiancé is leaning more towards doing it at the hall because it’s at one location. I liked the idea but I’m trying to save some money (didn’t realize how expensive an officiant is on top of the fee of the chapel at the hall $650)
I wanted to do the church (because I’m catholic and it’s beautiful for photos) we’re meeting with the priest but I’ve asked around and it costs around $500-$1000. I’m so torn because at this point I just want the more affordable option. What did you guys do and what do you suggest?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Tunisha, on February 27, 2022 at 16:25
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My hubby and I did our wedding in one location. At the venue we did the ceremony and reception. Was really the best idea. We did not have to travel from church to venue.

We were happy that the officiant did not ask for any payment. However, we decided to do something for him on the side.
    I would say, depends on the distance from church to reception and the cost difference would help you.
  • Karina
    Newbie November 2022 Ontario
    Karina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you everyone for your input, it was very much appreciated ❤️
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is on a Friday, so we have decided to have the ceremony in an ajoining room at our venue. We considered getting married at the church I was baptized in however it would mean a 45 minute drive for guests to get the venue .... in rush hour traffic. There wouldn't be any time for photos which is one of the things we decided meant the most to us.

The fees we are paying for the ceremony at the venue is about $800 and that included the officiant...

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding and reception was one location only as it made it simple and easy for family and friends to not drive anywhere. The cost of the Officiant given you can have the choice of religious vs. the church of how much donation/service they ask to give. Look at the options and consider what works best for you both at the time. This is your day and it should reflect on how you two feel to get married.

• D
    Devoted September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having our ceremony and reception at the same location (a hotel). It was just easier to have both in the same place plus it allowed our out-of-town guests an easy option for staying close to the venue. Also, the restaurant attached to the hotel handles all the catering for weddings so that was an added plus.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So the cost different is negligible (if it's $1000 at the church, vs $650 + around $300-$500 for the officiant at the venue). I would consider the logistics in your case.

If you get married in the Catholic Church, your ceremony will likely be early in the day, usually around noon (someone correct me if I'm wrong but I always hear about the Catholic wedding hour). That means you have to be ready super early. Whereas if you're choosing a non-Catholic officiant where your reception is held, you can have the ceremony whenever you want. Not sure if Catholic officiants performing a ceremony outside the church is a thing, or whether they'll do it outside the Catholic hour but that's something you can look up.

If you have the ceremony at the church early in the day, you and your guests will also have a huge gap before the reception. I'm sure you can use the time to take photos but your guests will have to mill around randomly for a few hours.

Don't forget that a wedding inside the church means your fiance has to go through marriage class with you. Not sure if there is a cost to that but it's additional time you have to commit beforehand. If he's not Catholic, you'll have to see if he's okay with that.

Also keep in mind that it's cold and rainly in late November so the less people have to be outside and travelling is probably better.

• C
    Newbie October 2022 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our reception and ceremony is taking place at the same location. It just makes it easier for guests so they don't get lost especially the ones coming from out of town. The savings is huge for us too. Your wedding is your dream so do what you feel is right but if you want to save some money your best to have both in the same location. I don't know what it's like where you live but in Alberta right now they have a program for a temporary marriage commissioner so you can apply to have someone you know marry you and then there's one less fee and it makes it 100% more comfortable as someone you love and trust can perform the marriage for you (though it is non-religious). I guess it all just comes down to what do you want for your day, if you have the money to spend and want to have a Church wedding you should go for it!

• Jacquie
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Jacquie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're having our ceremony in our reception place to save time on travel and money as our venue had no extra fee for this.

However, this is your wedding and if you want to get married in a church you can make it work. Lots of people have ceremonies and receptions in different spaces. .

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I are having ours at the same place as our reception. That way our guests and ourselves as well don't have to move to another location.

But just remember it's your day and whatever the decision you choose, will be magical no matter what! If you're wanting to be more affordable, then having your ceremony outside of the church would be best imo. Weddings aren't cheap and if saving some money that can go towards something else that to me would be the best way to look at itSmiley smile But if you really want to get married in a church, then do it! It's YOUR day Smiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics