Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rachel
Newbie June 2021 Ontario

Chosen venue, tasting was really disappointing.

Rachel, on April 28, 2019 at 09:49 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
My fiance and I chose our venue and paid a $2k deposit a couple of weeks ago for our July 11, 2020 date. Yesterday we went to their annual open house and tasting banquet, and were still in love with everything about the venue except that we found the food not up to our expectations.

I've never been to a wedding at the place before, but did a lot of research about it before booking. All the reviews had nothing but nice things to say about the whole experience, including the food.

FH and I don't think that we have extraordinary expectations, but we both found that the food served for the tasting was underseasoned, overcooked, and cold. It was very simple food, like roast beef, pork schnitzel, chicken cordon bleu, and braised salmon. We were expecting simple options done at least as well as we could do at home, but certainly didn't get that. The sides were plain mashed or roasted potatoes and some mixed vegetables from frozen and had no seasoning whatsoever. Even some salt, butter, and lemon juice would have sufficed!

How should we move forward? We can either (1) stick with this venue - everything else about it is absolutely perfect, and we can temper our expectations wrt the food (2) cancel, lose our deposit, and find another venue or (3) talk to the coordinator about our concerns.

I think that we should start with option 3, but how do we do so diplomatically? I really want to be a chill bride who doesn't get stressed about stupid details! Also, it's a family business, so the chef is the spouse of the on-site wedding coordinator.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Rachael, on May 3, 2019 at 12:49
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would talk to your coordinator about your concerns.

My fiancé and I adore our venue too; the food was good, but nothing extraordinary. (Which we expected, same as you). A turn off I experienced was my fiancé getting a piece of bone in his salmon filet, which is totally unavoidable considering I buy/cook salmon all the time and don't have that issue. Obviously we don't want guests having to reach into their mouths or spit anything out; we expressed this to our coordinator and she said she'd talk to the chef. I intend to bring it up again as a reminder closer to.

Considering you put down a deposit, your venue should be able to (and willing to) cater to dietary needs and preferences! If they are not, perhaps it may be better to look for anything venue before you commit by putting down more toward your payment.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is very true!

I wouldn't worry too much but make sure that you express your concern with your DOC - I'm sure that as much as it may be a bit to the ego for the chef that they both want to provide the best that they can and won't know there needs to be a change unless there are people letting them know!

• Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Rachel!

I went to the open house for my wedding venue last February 2018 and did my separate tasting 2 months before the wedding in June, and I do have to note that for both tastings, the food tastes different from the actual wedding. As for the cold dishes, I had asked our coordinator about it and they said that for the actual wedding the food will be kept warm in the buffet racks. However, for open houses, they usually have a lot of foot traffic and can't put the tasting hor d'oeurvres in the large buffet racks.

When you signed your contract, it should come with a list of the types of dishes they will serve so that you lock in the prices before they go up the following year. During my separate tasting, I was able to let our on-site coordinator know if I preferred something with more seasoning or have them change something about the dish. Maybe you can ask your coordinator about how to you can create a menu to your liking?

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

One thing to keep in mind for open house tastings are that some places prep everything in advance (like a full day ahead or something) and then serve it but for the weddings they prep the food the morning of so it's more fresh. Also some places are rushed and on a tighter budget when cooking for open houses especially ones that are open to the public but can take their time and put more money into the ingredients for a wedding.

We were told all of this when we were sampling from different caterers. For sure talk to your venue about it though because the last thing you want is to feel that way on your wedding day as well, or for people to remember that part of the wedding. Like Amanda said food can make or break a wedding sometimes

• Rachel
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the reply! Yes, it was definitely the same tasting. I really don't think we'll change venues - we were just unpleasantly surprised.
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say something for sure. Food can make or break a wedding.

Are you allowed to have outside catering at this venue?

• Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yikes! I would definitely speak up. My husband and I decided early on that a big chunk of our spending would go into the meal, so I empathize with you. If you are really in love with the venue, I would suggest having them come up with a custom menu that you are happy with?? Or, perhaps it's not too late to cancel - seeing as your booking is over a year from now... Good luck!
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think I was at the same tasting and have to say I agree a little bit. I thought the meats were mostly good, although the roast beef was dry without gravy. But the veggies were underwhelming. I would have liked the beans if they weren't so crunchy but the mixed veggies were kind of an unwelcome surprise - they seem so easy for the price of the packages.

We're not concerned enough to consider switching venues but we'll definitely make note for next year's tasting and discuss specifications with the coordinator at the eventual consultation.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely talk to the wedding coordinator about your concerns!

Maybe they can have you in for a different tasting with some improvements, or provide you with other options.

I would simply write an email letting them know you attended the tasting and were disappointed with the food. You want to ensure the food is spot on for your wedding, so can you make some adjustments or come in for an additional tasting?

Alternatively, you can leave it open ended for the coordinator to provide you with some options rather than you suggesting a fix but I find with this they try to just reassure you it’ll be fine - which doesn’t fix the problem.

either way, definitely let your coordinator know!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you should talk to the coordinator and discuss your concerns. I’m sure they’d be happy to adjust their menu for your wedding (especially considering since they’re a family-run business).
  • Rachel
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your reply! We almost didn't go to this tasting because there will be another one next year, but I'm glad we did it. At this point there's plenty of time to address the concerns, even if we do have to switch venues.
  • Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would definitely review your concerns. Maybe something happened that caused the issues that is out of the norm for them.

We booked our venue too and haven't tasted any food there before either. I suppose we should get in sooner rather than later in case we run into similar issues Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics